The Student Room Group

Do you think Britian is top in terms of musical talent?

See thread title.

I have to say, I think the UK is seriously up there with the best in terms of the number of influential musicians and artists that the country has produced since 1950. When you compare it to, say, France or Spain (apologies to anyone with affiliations), there's no real comparison.

We had/have (to name a tiny selection): Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Muse, Coldplay, Radiohead, Yes, and about a ton more.

Having said that, the US also have an awesome track record with people like Jimi Hendrix(bad pun), but they have more than 4 times the population of us. And, of course, this is only talking about rock/indie/pop genres. The Uk isn't really that impressive when looking at classical music.

What are your thoughts?
It depends on the genre tbh but Britain has definitely had its fair share of memorable bands.
Reply 2
in terms of Europe and the western world then yes i think we even out do the USA. But internationally i wouldn't agree as every culture has their own preferences. For example you wont find many Africans jamming to pink floyd but more likely instead to Magic System
Reply 3
I do think so. yes.
As you've mentioned, Britain has produced tons of amazing bands. I personally even think it is the best place on the planet for music. But it might be because I prefer British music to American music.
Reply 4
mazza558
And, of course, this is only talking about rock/indie/pop genres. The Uk isn't really that impressive when looking at classical music.

We aren't actually that bad. We have Julian Lloyd Webber on the Cello, that Joshua whatshisface guy on the violin and our share of concert pianists...
Reply 5
British music USED to be good. Then it turned to ****! Luckily there are a few bands/artists out there really doing Justice to British Talent.
Reply 6
Not a chance.
Reply 7
Yes, because only Britain has spawned Radiohead :smile:
giran
British music USED to be good. Then it turned to ****! Luckily there are a few bands/artists out there really doing Justice to British Talent.

I think it's probably do to with Pop music acutally becoming more dominant than it used to be. I might be wrong, but in the 1970s, rock was more widely listened to than the equivalent of today's pop.
Reply 9
mazza558

Having said that, the US also have an awesome track record with people like Jimi Hendrix

Jimi Hendrix used to stay in a flat at the bottom of my street, and busked outside the local pub.

Aside from that trivia. Tom Jones is just the best.

Also, I think it is a bit unfair to compare France, Spain and other non-English speaking countries, because most people don't really listen to music in a foreign language. (~Of course, some foreigners sing in English)
Reply 10
mazza558
I think it's probably do to with Pop music acutally becoming more dominant than it used to be. I might be wrong, but in the 1970s, rock was more widely listened to than the equivalent of today's pop.

Indeed. Although Brit Pop brought out some of the best bands like Blur and Oasis.
Reply 11
mazza558

Pop music was good (The Beatles) now it is just generic and whatever record companies can make a quick million on.
Devel
Pop music was good (The Beatles) now it is just generic and whatever record companies can make a quick million on.

You reminded me of this, which was posted on a certain website of a piratey nature a few days ago.

Reply 13
mazza558
You reminded me of this, which was posted on a certain website of a piratey nature a few days ago.

Hahah so true! Gotta love tbp <3
Reply 14
I definitely wouldn't say Britain is top. I can't think of any bands I like bar Alestorm that have appeared here in the last 20 odd years. I'd say that a lot of our 60s and 70s music was pretty sweet, but I'm not a fan of our newer 'indie' music.

Latest

Trending

Trending