The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
well duh, there is an obsession with prestige
Reply 2
topspinner2
Most of you would never consider it. Especially people from Indian/Pakistani families.

You could say the same about anything?

So to conclude...there is no point in this thread!

End it...:cool:
Reply 3
Who cares? As long as they're good at it, I couldn't care less whether they do it for the prestige or for the people. Being genuinely altruistic doesn't make you a good doctor.
I would still do it.
Reply 5
...but that won't happen.
Reply 6
topspinner2
Most of you would never consider it. Especially people from Indian/Pakistani families.

I dunno - I'd say the pay is still a fairly big incentive
Reply 7
Or more people would want to be plumbers...
It doesn't.

And why plumbers? Yes, doctors "fix" the pipelines of human anatomy, likewise plumbers fix the pipelines of a builiding. :rolleyes:
Reply 9
Y__
Who cares? As long as they're good at it, I couldn't care less whether they do it for the prestige or for the people. Being genuinely altruistic doesn't make you a good doctor.

Indeed.

The only related issue I have is that most people assume that Doctors are altruistic by default, and hail them as heroes, etc etc. Which, for the vast majority of Doctors, isn't the case. And the ones who are altruistic, are, as you implied, not necessarily good Doctors. Most of them aren't, and hence don't deserve the respect and prestige they receive.

This thread does state the obvious. Medicine attracts egos.
Reply 10
Mush
This thread does state the obvious. Medicine attracts egos.
Is that what keeps bringing you to our forum?
Reply 11
Renal
Is that what keeps bringing you to our forum?

So one minute I can't possibly understand the solution to a medical problem because I'm not a medical student.

And now I'm not allowed on a public forum because I'm not a medical student. ('It's ours it's ours!!!')

What next Renal? Will you be scoffing when I go to the hospital because I'm not a qualified ******* Doctor?

Your elitism never fails to surprise me hahahaha.

our forum haha. Classic.
ya but... it wouldn't
Reply 13
Mush
So one minute I can't possibly understand the solution to a medical problem because I'm not a medical student.
When you do get round to it, do let us know, until then...
Reply 14
One of my friends is a plumber - and a D.Phil (Oxon)...
If it had the prestige of a bog cleaner I'd still want to do it.

Very little of what attracts me to the idea of it is "respect" or "prestige"...some of my older relatives (aunts and such :shifty:) are still stuck in the notion that if I study Medicine I'll become some rich pillar of the community and everyone will look up to me. That might have been the case in Iran in the 1940s, but it's hardly relevant today, and frankly I cringe a little when they bring it up ...then again they're old, so I'm not give them a hard time over it :tongue:
Reply 16
Can we cut down on the spam and ad hom attacks? Thanks
Reply 17
Democracy
If it had the prestige of a bog cleaner I'd still want to do it.

Very little of what attracts me to the idea of it is "respect" or "prestige"...some of my older relatives (aunts and such :shifty:) are still stuck in the notion that if I study Medicine I'll become some rich pillar of the community and everyone will look up to me. That might have been the case in Iran in the 1940s, but it's hardly relevant today, and frankly I cringe a little when they bring it up ...then again they're old, so I'm not give them a hard time over it :tongue:

so if prestige does not come in to it at all...what is it for you that attracts you to do medicine?
A good plumber is much harder to find than a good doctor.

And always in demand, paid well, work hours you want... I'd be happy being a plumber, tbh.
Reply 19
well thats the point of this thread...financially it is attractive...but some prefer prestige.

Latest

Trending

Trending