The Student Room Group

Special relativity - it confuses me.

Hi there, i've been set a few relativity questions and I -really- just don't get them, I was wondering if anyone could give me a little help to get me started!

In 2D spacetime an inertial frame SS' moves with velocity uu relative to an inertial frame SS. A particle pp moves with speed vv with respect to SS and vv' with respect to SS' , so if its position is measured at two successive instants dx=vdtdx = vdt and dx=vdtdx'= v' dt' . Suppose the two clocks agree for pp, i.e., dt=dt.dt' = dt. How do I show that pp is moving with constant velocity? I've written down all the relevant equations but nothing is jumping out at me, I'm pretty sure I'm just being stupid. Differentiating xx' with respect to t (or t') gives v=γ(vu)v'=\gamma (v-u) but I don't even know whether or not that's the right thing to do, let alone what to do next.

Secondly, I have to draw the following as a spacetime diagram:
A clock CC is at rest at the spatial origin of an inertial frame SS . A second clock CC' is at rest at the spatial origin of an inertial frame SS' moving with constant speed UU relative to SS . The clocks read t=t=0t = t' = 0 when the two spatial origins coincide. When CC' reads t2t_2' it receives a radio signal from CC sent out when CC reads t1t_1 . I know you're meant to post your working for any problems like these but I really don't even know where to start :frown: I understand what's going on in the second question but I don't know how to draw the space-time diagram to represent it. Help!
Reply 1
csmith101
Hi there, i've been set a few relativity questions and I -really- just don't get them, I was wondering if anyone could give me a little help to get me started!

In 2D spacetime an inertial frame SS' moves with velocity uu relative to an inertial frame SS. A particle pp moves with speed vv with respect to SS and vv' with respect to SS' , so if its position is measured at two successive instants dx=vdtdx = vdt and dx=vdtdx'= v' dt' . Suppose the two clocks agree for pp, i.e., dt=dt.dt' = dt. How do I show that pp is moving with constant velocity? I've written down all the relevant equations but nothing is jumping out at me, I'm pretty sure I'm just being stupid. Differentiating xx' with respect to t (or t') gives v=γ(vu)v'=\gamma (v-u) but I don't even know whether or not that's the right thing to do, let alone what to do next.

Secondly, I have to draw the following as a spacetime diagram:
A clock CC is at rest at the spatial origin of an inertial frame SS . A second clock CC' is at rest at the spatial origin of an inertial frame SS' moving with constant speed UU relative to SS . The clocks read t=t=0t = t' = 0 when the two spatial origins coincide. When CC' reads t2t_2' it receives a radio signal from CC sent out when CC reads t1t_1 . I know you're meant to post your working for any problems like these but I really don't even know where to start :frown: I understand what's going on in the second question but I don't know how to draw the space-time diagram to represent it. Help!

1: Use the corresponding Lorentz transformation on the 2-dimensional vector (c dt, dx).
2: Do you know how to draw spacetime diagrams? Make sure you understand how the axes of the frame S' look like in a spacetime diagram where the axes of S are perpendicular.

By the way, who set you these questions? They're from this year's course on Special Relativity for Cambridge's first year mathmos.

edit: Corrected the vector you want to transform.
Reply 2
I am a cambridge first year mathmo :smile: but I've been ill a lot recently so I wasn't able to attend most of Siklos' recent lectures, i've only just recently got hold of the lecture notes but the illness has left me a bit behind :frown: Thanks a lot though, I'll try and give those hints a go. If anyone else feels like helping that'd be great too! :smile:
Reply 3
Right, I've spent a while reading up and I think I've got the hang of it, i'm almost at the end of the sheet - but alas, I have another question!

In a laboratory frame a particle of rest mass m1 has energy E1 , and a second particle of rest mass m2 is at rest. Show that in units where c = 1, the combined energy in the centre-of-momentum frame is
m12+m22+2E1m2 \sqrt{m_1^2+m_2^2+2E_1m_2}.

For a single particle the invariant mass is (mc2)2=E2pc2(mc^2)^2=E^2-\|\mathbf{p}c\|^2, but can we apply the same formula to multiple particles? I.e. ((m)c2)2=(E)2pc2((\sum{m})c^2)^2=(\sum{E})^2-\|\sum{\mathbf{p}}c\|^2 ? In which case, wouldn't we just have pc2=0(m)c2=(E) \|\sum{\mathbf{p}}c\|^2=0 \rightarrow (\sum{m})c^2=(\sum{E}) so no square root in the answer for E? I assume something must be wrong somewhere...
Reply 4
csmith101
Right, I've spent a while reading up and I think I've got the hang of it, i'm almost at the end of the sheet - but alas, I have another question!

In a laboratory frame a particle of rest mass m1 has energy E1 , and a second particle of rest mass m2 is at rest. Show that in units where c = 1, the combined energy in the centre-of-momentum frame is
m12+m22+2E1m2 \sqrt{m_1^2+m_2^2+2E_1m_2}.

For a single particle the invariant mass is (mc2)2=E2pc2(mc^2)^2=E^2-\|\mathbf{p}c\|^2, but can we apply the same formula to multiple particles? I.e. ((m)c2)2=(E)2pc2((\sum{m})c^2)^2=(\sum{E})^2-\|\sum{\mathbf{p}}c\|^2 ? In which case, wouldn't we just have pc2=0(m)c2=(E) \|\sum{\mathbf{p}}c\|^2=0 \rightarrow (\sum{m})c^2=(\sum{E}) so no square root in the answer for E? I assume something must be wrong somewhere...

Well, the way I did it was averaging the particles and therefore consider the centre of momentum as a particle, i.e. let MM be the total relativistic mass of the system, P=p\mathbf{P}=\sum \mathbf{p} the total relativistic momentum, then P=vcM\mathbf{P} = \mathbf{v}_c M where vc\mathbf{v}_c is the velocity of the c of m frame in the lab frame. Hence vc=PM1=PE1\mathbf{v}_c = \mathbf{P}M^{-1} = \mathbf{P}E^{-1} where EE is the total energy of the system (last one works because c=1c=1).
Then you can do all the crappy algebra. Don't ask me for a justification for that "consider the system as a particle" stuff, I don't know and I'm rather confused that Dr S seems to think this is obvious when he's never mentioned it in lectures (apart from today, after the sheet deadline, and then only for the non-relativistic case).
Reply 5
Ah i see! Similar to how I did it in the end then :-) So where on earth does 7m come from then? :|
Reply 6
csmith101
Ah i see! Similar to how I did it in the end then :-) So where on earth does 7m come from then? :|

Check his Examples for lectures 16-18 handout, the section about ppp-\overline{p} creation.

Latest