The Student Room Group

European Birth Rate

Why is it that despite the fact the birth rate is plummeting across Europe, particularly in country's without huge numbers of immigrants .i.e. Poland, Italy, Portugal nobody seems bothered? Is this not suicide?

No country in Europe has a birthrate of 2.2, the number required simply too replace the population.

Why is barely anybody aware of this problem? I find it more critical than Afghanistan .etc. Without babies to replace aging Europeans how is the continent meant to survive without massive migration from the third world?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aging_of_Europe

http://www.impactlab.com/2008/06/29/the-severe-impact-of-europes-declining-birth-rate/

https://www.msu.edu/course/soc/931/Migration/Interesting%20Web%20Sites/Aging%20Europe%20rethinks%20immigration.htm
Reply 1
Yeah I agree it is worrying.
Reply 2
Plus I am going to have loads of kids bcos i h8 immigrants.
Reply 3

OMFG I didn't no there were so many immmigrants in France. This is a massive situation.
Reply 4
sohcahtoa1
Plus I am going to have loads of kids bcos i h8 immigrants.

Er okay, immigrant bashing wasn't really the intention of my thread but there you go.
Reply 5
jamessimth5
Er okay, immigrant bashing wasn't really the intention of my thread but there you go.

Why not I for one am sick of them.
Reply 6
sohcahtoa1
Why not I for one am sick of them.

Why? For what reason are you sick of them?
Don't quote Wikipedia, it's unreliable. Believe me, I'm an admin.
Reply 8
TheMeister
Don't quote Wikipedia, it's unreliable. Believe me, I'm an admin.

Yeah but the birth rate thing is complete fact, just Google it.

Here is one from BBC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4768644.stm
Reply 9
sohcahtoa1
Not all of them, just curry muchers and muzlims

Great. :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Does it really matter that it is plummetting at the end of the day? ok, yes it does - economies, finance etc, but what is wrong with migration? With advancing technologies and better communications this global village culture is enevitably going to intergrate people.
Reply 11
the problem is worse in russia, we should really let millions of chinese and indians into europe.
sohcahtoa1
Not all of them, just curry muchers and muzlims

:s-smilie: :s-smilie: You come on this forum and all you have to say is bad things about immigrants? Shame on you.

To the OP:
I'll do something for the birth rate hopefully, I want at least 3 kiddies :biggrin:
Reply 13
Bateman
the problem is worse in russia, we should really let millions of chinese and indians into europe.

Ideally yes but try persuading mainland Europe to do that.
Reply 14
I resent this notion that Europeans cannot lose population.

What on earth is wrong with this notion? Does anyone seriously think that by the time this demographic change has occurred- humans will be responsible for producing much? It's a blessing. Attempts to bolster immigration are very very short sighted, they bring immense problems but what use will these extra people be in a future fought out by autonomous robots? (Some may be smirking - to wipe that off your face \ consider that the RAF has prototypes of UAVs that recieve NO communications at all after being launched - they just go fly bomb return. They make decisions about targets using their AI etc \ and this is just now nevermind in 50 years time).

Losing population will be a great thing for Europe. Less mouths to feed the better. As for panic about being left behind by other nations - their huge populations will cause massive problems for them. What about when they start to retire? What about the pressure on schools as they start to have their own next generation of babies? Is the advantage of their population demarcated at their boarders - or can we benefit too? I think we can. It is retarded in the extreme to continue to press for immigration.
Reply 15
whitepearlbaby
:s-smilie: :s-smilie: You come on this forum and all you have to say is bad things about immigrants? Shame on you.

Obvious troll

To the OP:
I'll do something for the birth rate hopefully, I want at least 3 kiddies :biggrin:

Hopefully, the thing is most Europeans want more children, when polled they say they want an average of 2.5 children, way above replacement. Obviously it is social and econmic factors preventing this happening so perhaps your dream of a big family may go the way of most other Europeans :frown:
jamessimth5
Hopefully, the thing is most Europeans want more children, when polled they say they want an average of 2.5 children, way above replacement. Obviously it is social and econmic factors preventing this happening so perhaps your dream of a big family may go the way of most other Europeans :frown:

Hopefully not but you have a point :frown:
Reply 17
RyanT
I resent this notion that Europeans cannot lose population.

What on earth is wrong with this notion? Does anyone seriously think that by the time this demographic change has occurred- humans will be responsible for producing much? It's a blessing. Attempts to bolster immigration are very very short sighted, they bring immense problems but what use will these extra people be in a future fought out by autonomous robots? (Some may be smirking - to wipe that off your face \ consider that the RAF has prototypes of UAVs that recieve NO communications at all after being launched - they just go fly bomb return. They make decisions about targets using their AI etc \ and this is just now nevermind in 50 years time).

Losing population will be a great thing for Europe. Less mouths to feed the better. As for panic about being left behind by other nations - their huge populations will cause massive problems for them. What about when they start to retire? What about the pressure on schools as they start to have their own next generation of babies? Is the advantage of their population demarcated at their boarders - or can we benefit too? I think we can. It is retarded in the extreme to continue to press for immigration.

UAVs are meant to do that, you give them a location and they bomb it, it's not big thing, lets forget your mentioning of substituting robots for humans and i'll tell you why a plumeting population is a bad thing:

1. more mouths to feed, smaller work force and a larger pension force, i.e less people to look after more people
2. strain on economy -self explanatory.
3. strain on health system, self explanatory
Reply 18
RyanT
consider that the RAF has prototypes of UAVs that recieve NO communications at all after being launched - they just go fly bomb return. They make decisions about targets using their AI etc

Wtf, you sure? Source please?

I know about UAV's but they are basically over sized RC planes with missiles.
Reply 19
Bateman
why a plumeting population is a bad thing:

1. more mouths to feed, smaller work force and a larger pension force, i.e less people to look after more people
2. strain on economy -self explanatory.
3. strain on health system, self explanatory

Plus the inevitable immigration stirs up resentment and social problems, usually.

I can't imagine Italians are going to best pleased about the millions of migrants that are needed to replace it's dying population.

Latest