The Student Room Group

Gap Year

I've got four rejections for medicine and have decided to take a gap year but am slightly overwhelmed with the number of companies out there.

I think I want to carry out work experience abroad and was wondering if anyone who has done something similar could tell me how they went about planning it, how long they went for, and if they did use a company, which one?

As well as this, are you expected to be in the UK during interview 'season' (which I count as roughly December to March). And if you are abroad when called for interview, would it be acceptable to reschedule or would you be expected to fly back?

Sorry for all the questions but any past experiences, advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I'm feeling pretty clueless. Thank you!
Reply 1
safest is to be in the uk for interview season.

some interviews happen in november too.
Reply 2
If I'm entirely honest I wouldn't go abroad without offers in the bag.

Offers can start late october and its not unheard of for some medical schools to keep handing out the odd interview way past the end of march, into april and june.

I would wait till you are at medical school, there are just as many companies keen to relive you of your money to do voluntary work over the summers.
Definitely stay in the UK from October onwards until you've heard back from all your choices. It cuts down on the stress of the situation.
Maybe plan any work experience for the summer, cos what medically relevant work experience you plan to do will give you just as much credit, as long as you can go into detail about it.
Reply 4
I was in a similar situation to you last year, had 4 rejections. I've advise against going abroad as nearly all medical courses now include an elective where you can spend around 8 weeks abroad if you wish. Personally i got a job in a caring environment (a care home for adults with challenging behaviours) which not only gave me loads to talk about at interview, looked good and has earned me quite a few bob at the same time.
Reply 5
Phryx
I was in a similar situation to you last year, had 4 rejections. I've advise against going abroad as nearly all medical courses now include an elective where you can spend around 8 weeks abroad if you wish. Personally i got a job in a caring environment (a care home for adults with challenging behaviours) which not only gave me loads to talk about at interview, looked good and has earned me quite a few bob at the same time.

indeed. why pay for work experience?? get paid :smile:
Reply 6
Yep and i'm sure some of my interviewers were far more impressed that i could talk about what its like working night shifts/changing shift patterns than if i'd just gone off to some exotic location to do some 'humanitarian' thing.

Latest

Trending

Trending