The Student Room Group

what do you consider to be a "good" IB score?

Scroll to see replies

It depends on the universities...what they consider to be 'good'.

Objectively speaking, 30 is 'okay', as it is considered to be an average score in the IB world. 32-34 can be classified as a 'good' score- you will most probably get into a good university- even some of the Russell Group unis (Aberdeen, Aston, Birmingham, City, Dundee, Goldsmith, Kent, Leicester, Liverpool, Loughborough, Queen Mary, etc.). 35 and above is 'very good' (Kings, Lancaster, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, York, St. Andrews, etc.). 39 and above is 'exceptional' (UCL, Imperial, Oxford and Cambridge).
My school averages 35, and I think 38+, with 666 or more in highers would be considered a good score.
35+ :smile:
Original post by Nikoflo

Objectively speaking, 30 is 'okay', as it is considered to be an average score in the IB world. 32-34 can be classified as a 'good' score- you will most probably get into a good university- even some of the Russell Group unis (Aberdeen, Aston, Birmingham, City, Dundee, Goldsmith, Kent, Leicester, Liverpool, Loughborough, Queen Mary, etc.). 35 and above is 'very good' (Kings, Lancaster, Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle, York, St. Andrews, etc.). 39 and above is 'exceptional' (UCL, Imperial, Oxford and Cambridge).

I totally agree with this post. You can only determine what a good score is by looking at the uni's requirements. I have done some research on UCAS (looked at the requirements for certain subjects), and of course the requirements differ. For medicine, a good score will be 38+, whereas for other subjects, a score of 35 and above is solid.

Overall, though, the Russell Group/1994 Group universities tend to ask for 34-38 (mostly it is 35+). The very top universities require 39+. Based on this, I would say that 39+ is excellent, and 35-38 is very good.
Hi guys!! I really need an advice!!! Im stressing out right now because we have to send applications in a month and I relay dont know if my grades are good enough. My IB predicteds (for now) are:
6 HL Art (might turn that into a 7)
6 HL English Lang&Lit
5 HL economics
7 SL Math
7 SL Russian literature
6 SL Bio (might get a 7 though)
Overall score: 39-41 points (depending on EE and TOK grades)

My uni choices:
Bath (international management)
St Andrews (management)
Durham (business management)
Warwick (management)
Either Exeter or Manchester as a backup, also management

What do you guys think???
I feel like anything above a 32 is a generally 'good' score.
IMO a great score is 36+
To all the people saying that 36+ is good or just decent,

If 24 is a pass then anything above 30 is "good".

Those wanting 35 up are really aiming for the very top (bc lets be real 40+ is near impossible).

But as long as people pass/get onto what they wanted - they should be proud
Original post by bertisfab
To all the people saying that 36+ is good or just decent,

If 24 is a pass then anything above 30 is "good".

Those wanting 35 up are really aiming for the very top (bc lets be real 40+ is near impossible).

But as long as people pass/get onto what they wanted - they should be proud

You're right. Was aiming for a 40+. Now I am hoping for a 35+ hahah
IMO 32+ is good, and 35+ is great (benchmark for excellent unis). 40+ is amazing, but really hard to obtain.
Over 42
43~45, and 7 would be a good grade. It depends on your subjects, though.

In my class you basically need a 42/42 to be considered for the scholarships, so yeah, the competition is a bit crazy.
Reply 171
Original post by Nikoflo

I could never agree more. Just looking at the UCAS tariff, 36 IB points is equivalent to AAAA at your A-level - I think 'good' is quite a diminishment to describe this score. Certainly, some may consider 36 as a drawback, since most people I know that ended up with this score dropped from predicted 40/41 (sometimes it would go up after re-marks). But as Nikoflo noticed, if Oxbridge as Top 10 unis worldwide require 39/40, it must be considered outstanding already.

Original post by Sailin
43~45, and 7 would be a good grade. It depends on your subjects, though.

In my class you basically need a 42/42 to be considered for the scholarships, so yeah, the competition is a bit crazy.

Mind you, 45 is a score that 150-200 pepole achieve every year worldwide - with top 5% achieving 43-45. Besides, looking at the official IB grade descriptions, it refers to 7 as excellent, 6 as very good and 5 as good understanding.
Original post by afua12
What do you consider to be a "good" total IB score?
Also, in the individual subjects, what is a "good" grade?

That really depends on what kind of course you are looking for at uni, but also depends on your subjects, if you're in the UK, the top institutions like oxbridge requires a minimu score of 38 (for Oxford) and 41 (for Cambridge). But personally, I would say that somewhere between 38 and 42, above that you must be a genius... and be careful I'm not talking about the school's predicted grades but the real IB exam grade! Because some school tend to predict very high grades but some of the students end up with very low IB grade so... yeah somewhere between 38 to 42 in real IB exam can at least get you into somewhere like LSE, KCL, Bristol.. if not Oxbridge because at Oxbridge they usually expect you to be the ellite of your school, but this also depends on your chosen subject. For example, an IB 42 can possibly get you into Cambridge for non-competitive course, like Archaeology, given that you're very interested in Archaeology and have done a massive amount of background reading, but this grade might not get you into their Medicine course, since it's very often oversubscribed...

Hope this helped.. :P
Hey guys, so I was wondering whether you think my grades would be able to get me into a “good” university. I know I can do better; I had health issues and didn’t revise for my mocks, but I have already applied to Uni and was wondering if I had a chance to get accepted. I applied for Russian and History at St. Andrews (I know I won’t get in but it’s my dream Uni so I thought I may as well try), UCL, Edinburgh, Exeter and Nottingham.

GCSES 3A*s 6As 1B (my school had a pass rate of less than 40% so I did ok considering)

IB : 37

HL German B :6
HL History :6
HL Chemistry: 5
SL English : 7
SL Maths :5
SL Physics :5

+ 3 core points,

I hope everyone’s application is going well! :smile:
Original post by Nomosia
Hey guys, so I was wondering whether you think my grades would be able to get me into a “good” university. I know I can do better; I had health issues and didn’t revise for my mocks, but I have already applied to Uni and was wondering if I had a chance to get accepted. I applied for Russian and History at St. Andrews (I know I won’t get in but it’s my dream Uni so I thought I may as well try), UCL, Edinburgh, Exeter and Nottingham.

GCSES 3A*s 6As 1B (my school had a pass rate of less than 40% so I did ok considering)

IB : 37

HL German B :6
HL History :6
HL Chemistry: 5
SL English : 7
SL Maths :5
SL Physics :5

+ 3 core points,

I hope everyone’s application is going well! :smile:

First of all, well done for getting 5 at HL Chem... I took it as well in the beginning of grade 11 and I dropped it bc I found it very hard... I think your acores are great considering the world average is 30. I'm sure that you'll most get accepted into Exeter but I can't tell about the other unis bc I didn't apply there :smile:, I only waited for a week before I got an offer from exeter. Best of luck!!
Original post by dismal_laundry
34+ is respectable

To be honest, I couldn't agree more! But the thing with me is when my school does predicted grades, they don't include bonus points..PLUS they don't let us look at our predicted grades for each individual class, so I was planning to apply to University of Bath with predicted 30 ib points, (without bonus points).. do you guys think Bath will consider that my bonus points aren't included in the prediction? Or do you guys recommend I make a more realistic choice..?
Well i'm aiming for a 37 excluding core points with a 6/7 in HL Math and at least one more 7 in my HLs and one 7 in my SLs
I guess it depends on the subjects you're taking (and your goals). I do HL maths, physics and computer science, which are really hard, but I would be really disappointed if I get anything below 40/45.
30 is the average IB score. Anything better than that is good -however if you get 39+ that is a reaally good score. Usually, 38+ is the requirement for medicinal courses (of course because you'd want smart doctors), 34+ for decent engineering colleges, and 30+ for most other courses I believe... So it depends on what you want to do in order to determine whether you have a good score. 43 for an engineering student is reeeeeaallly good compared to 43 for a medical student for whom it might be just very good...

(This is all my opinion and I'll probably fail the IB so plz don't take it seriously lol)...
I Got 55 Xd

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending