The Student Room Group

Manchester University vs York University

Hi,
I was just wandering if anyone who reads this could give me their general opinion.

I have offers form York University(AAB) and the University of Manchester (ABB) for Economics and Economic History (joint degree); I would like to work in an Investment Bank one day and wonder in terms of employment prospects and preastige, which university would be regraded as better.

(Btw, I'm aware that other factors like work experience will count for a lot and that generally, IBS target the G5 unis but i just want opinions and facts on which of my options looks best):smile:

Thank you.:smile:

Scroll to see replies

I don't condone basing your decision on league tables but, er, based on the Guardian league table, York is ranked 11 places higher than Manchester.
straight econ at york :smile: where else do you have offers from
Reply 3
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
straight econ at york :smile: where else do you have offers from

those are the only unis I have offers from,
I also applied to Edinburgh but was rejected:rolleyes: , and I'm still waiting on Warwick and LSE :s-smilie: ,
what about yourselves?
I remember reading somewhere that Manchester is the Uni that employers look at first..
rebekahtfaj
those are the only unis I have offers from,
I also applied to Edinburgh but was rejected:rolleyes: , and I'm still waiting on Warwick and LSE :s-smilie: ,
what about yourselves?

well if those offers come through........
Lse
wawrick
york
manchester
in that order
Reply 6
gingerrama
I don't condone basing your decision on league tables but, er, based on the Guardian league table, York is ranked 11 places higher than Manchester.

I am aware of this but like you said, the league tables can be misleading and York isn't even a Russell Group institution (I'm not saying this matters but a careers woman at the Lse said that as long as you went to Russel Group school you still had a chance of working in an IB)
Reply 7
York.
Reply 8
collegedropout
I remember reading somewhere that Manchester is the Uni that employers look at first..

You must have read wrong. Manchester is fine, but probably slightly below York and nowhere near as targeted as the likes of Oxbridge and LSE.
In general I think Manchester may be the better university, purely due to it's size and the amount of investment it recieves - and if it isn't better now, it surely will be within the next five years or so. Though Manchester's particulary strong for the life sciences, engineering and law, economics isn't really one of it's strong points. I agree that league tables don't mean a whole lot, but they collectively illustrate Manchester's weaknesses in this area. I for one would pick York purely for subject choice, but since the two are so different in other ways I would think carefully about other aspects such as location before choosing. Good luck.
Reply 10
Lse
wawrick
york
manchester
in that order

What is with the Warwick obsession on TSR?
York and Manchester are equally as good as Warwick...
Reply 11
Lse
wawrick
york
manchester
in that order

but why would you place York above Manchester (out of curiosity)
rebekahtfaj
I am aware of this but like you said, the league tables can be misleading and York isn't even a Russell Group institution (I'm not saying this matters but a careers woman at the Lse said that as long as you went to Russel Group school you still had a chance of working in an IB)

This whole Russell Group thing is irritating. York, Durham, St. Andrew's, SOAS etc - there are loads of top class institutions that aren't members of the Russell Group. It means little to those choosing where to go for undergrad.
Reply 13
ninety_nine
In general I think Manchester may be the better university, purely due to it's size and the amount of investment it recieves - and if it isn't better now, it surely will be within the next five years or so. Though Manchester's particulary strong for the life sciences, engineering and law, economics isn't really one of it's strong points. I agree that league tables don't mean a whole lot, but they collectively illustrate Manchester's weaknesses in this area. I for one would pick York purely for subject choice, but since the two are so different in other ways I would think carefully about other aspects such as location before choosing. Good luck.

Thank you for your advice.
E_D_B
You must have read wrong. Manchester is fine, but probably slightly below York and nowhere near as targeted as the likes of Oxbridge and LSE.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/GraduateMarket09.pdf

Check page 26.
Reply 15
rebekahtfaj

Who cares about Russel group? For IB its Oxbridge > LSE/Imperial > Warwick/UCL >> Notts/Durham/Bristol > York etc

Its do-able from York, even Manchester to some extent. Just get AAB atleast, get good work experience and relevant extra curriculars to make up for the Uni elitism at IB's. I'd go for York if i was you, but the difference is more or less negligable for prospects.
rebekahtfaj
but why would you place York above Manchester (out of curiosity)

well in your case, it's because straight econ is better than econ+econ hist imo (because IB more quantitative degrees will help i think)

play york above manchester because

entry requirements are higher
more competitive to get in to
research scores are higher (though only useful for post grads i think)
smaller department i think

and have read around and york seems better
Reply 17

It would be silly ignoring one of the largest Uni's in the UK, so ofcourse employers target it. For the top positions in finance (where OP is hoping to get into), top 5-6 uni's are what are looked at first.
rebekahtfaj

Go to Manchester then!
Reply 19
entry requirements are higher
more competitive to get in to

:rolleyes:

*sigh*

Latest

Trending

Trending