The Student Room Group

Route A Route B

Please can someone explain to me the difference - nobody has been able to do so far..............

I have applied for Illustration all route A because that is all I could understand - Portsmouth have offered me a place but so far the others have said I need to do the foundation diploma ..........I thought maybe as I had done AVCE double art I might not need to.........
Reply 1
Route A is for applicants to, usually, apply straight off the bat from college or Sixth Form to a university around winter/early first quater of the new year. Route B is - again usually - for applicants who attend a Foundation year to explore and develope much more of their skills and to put together a more finalized portfolio for when they apply late first quater of the new year, which is pretty much within the next 3 to 4 weeks.

Alot of universities want a Foundation diploma under your belt which is why they prefer Route B applicants. They understand the line between - and you'll have to excuse me as I start ranting about the poor education system in High Schools and colleges - the straight and linear art courses in sixth forms and colleges and the more professional and open minded courses that make up a Foundation year. They prefer the latter, though not everyone asks for a Foundation diploma.
Reply 2
Presumably, you have read the UCAS description? It methodically underlines the differences between the two:

http://www.ucas.com/students/beforeyouapply/artanddesign/

In any case, 61e.CR has summed it up well.
Reply 3
"For Route B courses, you can list up to three choices in preference order"

I hate that bit...........I would like to put Falmouth and Brighton joint first and I cant..........so 1st choice rejects me for whatever reason and then second choice rejects me because I didn't put them first and then I am left with nothing........................

why do they have preferences on route B?
Reply 4
They want 100% dedicated students I guess. Having a uni at second choice is a bit ;s
Reply 5
Cranium
"For Route B courses, you can list up to three choices in preference order"

I hate that bit...........I would like to put Falmouth and Brighton joint first and I cant..........so 1st choice rejects me for whatever reason and then second choice rejects me because I didn't put them first and then I am left with nothing........................

why do they have preferences on route B?

Well, most of applicants for art/design courses apply through route B for several reasons. First of all, it allows more time for those doing Foundation to make up their mind about their further specialization, secondly, it allows you to bring more up-to date portfolio for the interview.

Knowing that, universities prefer route B applicants as they are more likely to actually accept offer because they really want to go to that particular university, while majority of route A applicants apply to have a back up plan/insurance offer in case they are unsuccesful with their route B choices.

Everybody wants to be the one and only, even universities. :wink: Hence the essays and extra tasks route A applicants are given.

Update. I've just discovered I can't read properly, so ignore me. :smile:

Latest