The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Oxidation state of Fe is 0 because it's an element. Cl2 is 0 as well. Oxidation state of Fe in the compound is +2 so it's been oxidised, Cl in the compound -1 so it's been reduced.

So yes. It's also an addition.
Reply 2
cheers well i'd got it too...
Fe+Cl2>FeCl2
0+0>+2-1 (not sure if its -2 as its Cl2)
0>+1
...does this make it redox?
Reply 3
They've got to be balanced, right? You need to add electrons to even it out.
Reply 4
ahhhhh knew i was missing something thanks a lot
Reply 5
It's 0 on the RHS because your compound doesn't have a charge. The oxidation state of chlorine is -1, but you have two chlorines so you have -1 -1 so you get 0 overall.
Reply 6
Rubs
It's 0 on the RHS because your compound doesn't have a charge. The oxidation state of chlorine is -1, but you have two chlorines so you have -1 -1 so you get 0 overall.

rubs does it mean it goes on total oxidation number then and not oxidation state?
Reply 7
I'm not entirely sure what you mean but when you're asked for the oxidation state of chlorine you'd say -1 because you have to refer to the oxidation state of 1 chlorine, even if there's 2 or more. However when you're considering the other atoms you have to take account of the total oxidation number of the other elements - so for Fe you have to remember you have two chlorines; to balance that and make a 0 overall charge Fe has to be +2.
Reply 8
ok cheers, you reckon this is an acceptable answer?
"redox or not redox?"
Fe+Cl2>FeCl2
0+0>+2-2
"Fe has been oxidised from 0>+2 and CL reduced to 0>-1 so a redox reaction
Reply 9
Yeah :smile:
Reply 10
o cool cheers for the help mate

Latest