The Student Room Group

How Many Driving Lessons Did You Have Before Passing Your Test?

Scroll to see replies

Andylol
Seriously XD? That doesn't seem realistic to me =P

I did pass with 12 minors though
MichaelScofield
the 45 average assumes absolutely no practice outwith instruction, you're lesson frequency is approximately 2 hours per week and that you have never driven before at all. Asking this question without specifying parameters has been a complete waste of time (as there is no way that the people who passed with <10 hours satisfy the above conditions.

Incorrect, the average is 45 hours of lessons with an ADI and 22 hours private practise.

Source

I fail to see how someone who has spent 10 hours in a car can be safe - I'm learning with my Dad and I can safely say that in the 1st 10 hours of driving I did not have enough experience - controlling a car is a relatively small part of it, the main thing is having been in enough situations to have gained an understanding of driving. I'd guess that the majority of those passes were luck over judgement.

There's a lad down the road from us, he passed.. must have been a year ago? And even though he's improving, he still regularly crunches gears, misjudges the size and hits walls while parking, mounts the curb getting out of our road and appears unable to reverse. How he passed I don't know.
Andylol
Just curious.

On this CD I got, it says 45 is the average number of lessons one should take to pass a practical test. :eek3:

When I think about it, it scares me... 45 x £20 = £900 just on driving lessons.
Then comes the car, and that big insurance cost, and all the rest that comes along with it.

*sigh*

So, how many lessons did you have before you passed your practical? Also, did you do Pass Plus - is it helpful in any way at all? :smile:

//Andy

I did it in about 14hours and past first time with 2 minors :smile:
pass plus is soooo overated, it only really makes a difference on insurance companies which charge alot anyways! so it ends up being similar to if you didnt have pass plus... im with elephant and mines £800 for a 3yr old volkswagon fox :smile:
Reply 43
I had 9 lessons before passing.

I also had practice with my dad though
Reply 44
sam854
LOL! 30 lessons is the least he has seen?! he must b 1 **** instructor!

no offence every1 takes a different amount of time to pass bt i rekon ur teacher is lying or just crap!
lol

Around my area the average we take, even with different instructors is about 45 lessons. Our test centre has only a 33% pass rate so the instructors take ages making sure we all are pretty much perfect.
The least I've seen was 8 lessons and he got loads from his dad beforehand.
Two guys I know took over 50, one due to a fail first time the other forgot to do his theory so it delayed him taking his test.
Only one of those was with my instructor, the guy my mate is with is still doing hers, one a week and she has had about 30 so far but she hasn't done her theory either.
A girl learning at the same time as me had the same number of lessons a week as me except her's were two hours not one and she failed first time after a good 45 hours more than me.

I think people from here just can't drive =p
Reply 45
Heckler and Koch
About 30 hours I think and passed second time. Most of these people who had a low number of lessons will have been helped by their parents.

Your highly ignorant. :yep:
Sparxy
Your highly ignorant. :yep:

I like the way you accuse me of being highly ignorant while making a mistake in your three word sentence.

So someone who claims to have had five hours of lessons and who passes their test first time has had no other help? What a world of driving gods we live in.
Reply 47
heckler i agree with what your saying :smile:, but i didnt have any help and passed 1st time in 5 (2 hour) lessons, so it is possible mate
Reply 48
I had 4, did a shabby test with 7 minors but did I give a ****?! No I passed! :biggrin:

Cars were my life I couldn't wait to get driving!

My brother took it one step further his 17th birthday was 26th Jan 2009 he did 3 lessons, took his test 1 WEEK AFTET TURNING 17 and passed! I couldn't believe it. Fair play!

We're in N. Ireland though, we generally take ALOT fewer lessons to pass over here than you guys.
I took 45 to 50 lessons and got 3 minors, passed 1st time. The average is 45.

And also dont forget a lot of people dont pass first time. Its expensive but worth it.
Loads. I was (and am still) a most untalented and un natural drive. I reckon about 45 1 hr lessons. Plus more than double that in my car with my dad outside of lessons. i feel sorry for him, having me driving must have been terrifying.

I was trying to pass while 17 :frown: Passed when I was 18 and 2 months though.
lol, ^ me too, I wanted to pass when I was 17, I passed 1 month after my 18th birthday
I had about 20-25 one hour lessons.
I've had about 35 and have got my test booked.
Reply 54
Heckler and Koch
I like the way you accuse me of being highly ignorant while making a mistake in your three word sentence.

So someone who claims to have had five hours of lessons and who passes their test first time has had no other help? What a world of driving gods we live in.

You know some people just have the knack for certain things and can pick up things fairly quick, and when I say quick - I mean quick..

You sound jealous if anything.. :yep:

By the way, I didn't know you was considering '5' as your idea of low, I was thinking more along the lines of you talking to the people who had 10-15 hours worth or lessons or whatever... :rolleyes:
i think i had about 15 hours with an instructor, but went out practising with my dad quite a lot as well.
I didn't do pass plus, didn't really think it would be worth it tbh.
Reply 56
i had 20 hours
far too many :frown::frown:
Around 25 lessons.

It doesn't really matter how many lessons you have, its very individual and take how ever many you need to become a safe driver, not just how to pass a test.
Reply 59
i did a 30 hour driving course which included my driving test and a work book

Quick Reply

Latest