The Student Room Group

Medicine at different uni's

Hi everyone. I'm a year 12 student looking to go into something biological, and medicine is my first choice to get into! The only thing is, I haven't been to any open days yet (think it's a bit too early) but am trying to narrow down my university choices. At the moment I'm thinking of going to:

- Imperial
- UCL
- Exeter
- Brighton
- Bristol

I have no idea how good the actual medicine courses are there (well apart from Imperial) and how hard they are to get into. Do I need to do more work experience for Brighton than Bristol? Do people tend to enjoy Exeter medicine than UCL? Fill me in!

Thanks.
Reply 1
Varciani
Hi everyone. I'm a year 12 student looking to go into something biological, and medicine is my first choice to get into!

If you want something biological do biology.

The only thing is, I haven't been to any open days yet (think it's a bit too early) but am trying to narrow down my university choices. At the moment I'm thinking of going to:

- Imperial
- UCL
- Aston
- Exeter
- Brighton
- Kent
- Bristol

I have no idea how good the actual medicine courses are there (well apart from Imperial) and how hard they are to get into. Do I need to do more work experience for Brighton than Bristol? Do people tend to enjoy Aston medicine than UCL? Fill me in!

Thanks.

If you're in yr 12 it's not too early to go to open days. Given that your application needs to be in by october, I think nows a good time to attend some.

And Aston and Kent don't have medical schools. Have you done any preliminary research whatsoever?

It's not about how much work experience you do, it's about what you get out of it, and how you manage to put that across in your personal statement.

And all medical schools teach the same course, and have achieved the satisfaction of the GMC and produce highly qualified professionals each year. In short there are no "good" or "bad" medical schools, go where you think you'd enjoy your 5/6 years.
Reply 2
*sigh*
Reply 3
Ok, thanks. I was doing research as I was posting this, so that the replies could help me to narrow down what I would look into. In truth the list above is a list of Uni's that I like the look of - they all do a course I'm interested in, therefore I was posting them all. Sorry, I'll edit the post.

I do want to do something biological, but I class medicine under that whole group. Maybe I should have been more specific.

Anyway, your post was very helpful. Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 4
Aston? :s
Reply 5
Varciani
Hi everyone. I'm a year 12 student looking to go into something biological, and medicine is my first choice to get into! The only thing is, I haven't been to any open days yet (think it's a bit too early) but am trying to narrow down my university choices. At the moment I'm thinking of going to:

- Imperial
- UCL
- Aston
- Exeter
- Brighton
- Kent
- Bristol

I have no idea how good the actual medicine courses are there (well apart from Imperial) and how hard they are to get into. Do I need to do more work experience for Brighton than Bristol? Do people tend to enjoy Aston medicine than UCL? Fill me in!

Thanks.

Hi mate, Aston and Kent don't have medical schools. Exeter university and Plymouth university have a joint medical school called Peninsula medical school. Brighton university and Sussex university also have a joint medical school called BSMS (Brighton and Sussex medical school).

All medical schools will require some form of work experience, no medical school asks for more work experience than another. The most important thing is what you learn from your work experience and the insight it gives you into what being a doctor is really like.

All medical schools are accredited by the General Medical Council so there is no 'better medical school', the most important thing is choosing a course which will suit you and your learning style.

Try www.medschoolsonline.co.uk for more information and also look on the universities websites for more information e.g. http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/ugprospectus/facultiesanddepartments/medicine/coursestructure/medicine - that's Imperial's website to get you started.

Good luck :smile:
Alex

EDIT: Democracy beat me to the punch :tongue:
Reply 7
Ok, thanks everyone. Sorry for the mistakes in my first post, very stupid!

Just wondering, what are your favourite things about studying medicine?
Reply 8
Varciani

The long, laborious, arduous and arguably pointless work that takes up so much of my time. :smile:
Reply 9
Varciani
Being baited and told I'm a **** by random schoolkids.
Renal

Always playing the cynic. We know you love it (at times, when it's good).
Reply 11
Spencer Wells
Always playing the cynic. We know you love it (at times, when it's good).
I am a ****, i'm used to this.
Renal

Happens to non medical students too :frown:
Reply 13
I know its been said, but you know what's really biological? Biology.

Don't think about what's good or bad about studying medicine, because the aim isn't to go to medical school its to be a doctor. Just run through, do you fancy the idea of being a clinician?
You need to decide what style of course you like too, at the moment they aren't exactly consistent with a mixture of PBL and non-PBL

Latest

Trending

Trending