The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wrong area. You're obviously in the wrong area. Go to Euston/Holborn, you won't feel out of place. Though having said that, if you go down a mile away from Euston, it's full of muslims/south-asians. :p:
Reply 2
That depends on what you define as 'British people'.
Absurd

You can probably safely say he means "white people". :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Absurd

I took it to mean he meant British-English/Irish/Other white stuff. :tongue:
Reply 5
blahbloo
I took it to mean he meant British-English/Irish/Other white stuff. :tongue:

Norfolkadam
You can probably safely say he means "white people". :rolleyes:

I was hoping it wasn't the case. :indiff:
Reply 6
Where I grew up is predominately British, so I am guessing it depends on the areas. But London is one of the most multicultural cities in the world so ....
Oddly enough I do think there should be more British people in London, despite being British-Indian myself :p:

The areas around where I grew up and still live are predominantly Asian/Black. The pupils in schools are mostly non-white. It's kinda running joke, people go "OMG white person" and then point if ever they have the luck to spot one XD

But the area around my school is mostly full of white-British people. The schools are at least half white, if not more. It depends on the area.

It's good to have a multicultural society but sometimes I do wish that it wasn't so "Asian" round where I live.
Are we classing Eastern Europeans as white? or does it only include Western Europeans? I remember that not too long ago the Irish and the Germans were definitely NOT classed as white...
Reply 9
naivesincerity
Do you fell London lacks enough British people?
Nope. I like the mix of cultures.

And how do you feel about it generally, folks who've gorwn up there.
I love the place, but didn't realize that I did until I moved away. Living away from London, I've come to miss all of the events, shops, services, and bustling cosmopolitan feel, of the place.
Reply 10
I don';t think anything about it tbh, though my muslims friends do tell me that they wish they had more interaction with British-English people themselves as their secondary school/college was entirely muslim, with british-english teachers oddly. :tongue:

And I'd include the almost-entire of Europe as white. Why wouldn't germans be classified as whites? :s-smilie:
CityOfMyHeart
Oddly enough I do think there should be more British people in London, despite being British-Indian myself :p:

The areas around where I grew up and still live are predominantly Asian/Black. The pupils in schools are mostly non-white. It's kinda running joke, people go "OMG white person" and then point if ever they have the luck to spot one XD

But the area around my school is mostly full of white-British people. The schools are at least half white, if not more. It depends on the area.

It's good to have a multicultural society but sometimes I do wish that it wasn't so "Asian" round where I live.

Which part of the capital do you live in? I must say that the most drastic change in ethnic demographics I have seen is when you travel c. 250-400 metres from Aldgate East towards Whitechapel (or in the opposite direction).

The reason that there may be reduced representation of ethnically Western European people in schools in London may have a little to do with relatively low birth rates in their communities (assuming monoethnic relationships in this case) compared to in monoethnic relationships between non-Western European people. If you are that desperate to come across a pale-skinned face - why don't you travel to the centre (or Westminster) - there are loads!
In my area, the population is predominately white and Asian (Indian/Chinese). But the majority of people I come across are in fact 'British'. This all depends upon which area, the majority of London does of course have a high number of ethnic minorities, but you're asking about 'British' people, not English.
xps.systems
Which part of the capital do you live in? I must say that the most drastic change in ethnic demographics I have seen is why you travel c. 250-400 metres from Aldgate East towards Whitechapel (or in the opposite direction).

The reason that there may be reduced representation of ethnically Western European people in schools in London may have a little to do with relatively low birth rates in their communities (assuming monoethnic relationships in this case) compared to in monoethnic relationships between non-Western European people. If you are that desperate to come across a pale-skinned face - why don't you travel to the centre (or Westminster) - there are loads!

West London.
Haha I'm not desperate to see a white face, most of my friends are white-British but just in the area around me, it's mostly Asians or Blacks. And the few Whites are chavs that hide in the backstreets =\ Most of the non-Whites are still British though.

It's all down to area at the end of the day, it depends on where ethnic communities have set up and expanded. It's good, s'all good but yeah.. It's a shame when not many people actually SPEAK ENGLISH, or speak it properly =[
I'm not talking about ethnic people who are in fact British, I'm talking about yanks, antipodeans, Irish, Europeans etc. People who're not raised in British culture. Tbh Europeans are OK but I'm not keen on N Americans and even less so Antipodeans
naivesincerity
I'm not talking about ethnic people who are in fact British, I'm talking about yanks, antipodeans, Irish, Europeans etc. People who're not raised in British culture. Tbh Europeans are OK but I'm not keen on N Americans and even less so Antipodeans

The average Londoner will come into contact with few of the people you've listed. Most are likely to be tourists/travelers, here on business or for university. Therefore probably only seen in central London. I wouldn't say there are too many.
naivesincerity

Why, what's the problem with North Americans (Canadians, Americans, Mexicans ?) and Antipodeans ?
Reply 17
naivesincerity
Do you fell London lacks enough British people?

And how do you feel about it generally, folks who've gorwn up there.

I've lived in London all my life, it doesn't lack Brits. It has a lot of non white residents (if that's what you were getting at), but I consider that a good thing.
Reply 18
This looks convincingly like a 'Im not racist, but...' thread. Theres plenty of brits, if thats what you like. Now grow up and take your silly issues somewhere else.
ColdVein
I've lived in London all my life, it doesn't lack Brits. It has a lot of non white residents (if that's what you were getting at), but I consider that a good thing.

Only I've just stated that's not what I'm getting at.:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending