The Student Room Group

What you like VS money.

I'm going to do a gap year and have been offered two different types of work, without going into too much detail I shall explain!

1- An unpaid job for a few months doing a job which I have dreamt of. Working with someone that is great and doing stuff that I know will enjoy, doesn't pay but in the future will make some good contacts. Not sure about the next few months, will maybe get a normal job or travel. But this is my dream job.

2- A paid internship with a huge company for a year, I wont enjoy the job because its not well suited to me, but will help me financially through uni. Company is massive and really well known etc. Seems a bit boring.

I THINK I will chose option one, doing something that I'd enjoy and will be beneficial in the long term over money, but what is your opinion? I'm curious to know :smile:
Reply 1
Personally, I'd go for the first one. Money doesn't really entire my life however, so it's not important to me - maybe in a year or so I'd say differently.

But I never let money pursuade me to do anything at the expense of my happiness at the moment. So go for your dream job!! =D
Reply 2
But then again option 2 would fund money for me to go travelling, which was another dream! But arghhh!!
Reply 3
Is there anyway you could try the second option.. and if you really didn't like it.. you could drop it and do the first? =P
Or maybe, take two gap years to do both. The money one first, then the first one.
Do number one; in 3 yrs you'll look back on this period. Will you be happy you wasted such a wicked opportunity?

I look back on the options I had when I was 16 and wish I hadn't been so cautious tbh.
Reply 5
option 2..can't u come back to that unpaid job afterwards/another time? i doubt they'll reject someone who wants to work unpaid and seems so enthusiastic about the work..what kind of work is it?
Reply 6
Bubbles*de*Milo
Do number one; in 3 yrs you'll look back on this period. Will you be happy you wasted such a wicked opportunity?

I look back on the options I had when I was 16 and wish I hadn't been so cautious tbh.

In regards to can I do both, I can't. The first one is only available for a few months.
I'm gonna do numero uno, its better to be happy and I'm sure that this will give me a taste of what I want to do when I graduate :smile:
Reply 7
Do the first one, and sell things on ebay to get some money up for travelling! I'm doing a job I really don't enjoy during my gap year, and its not fun! Just drags on and on an on - seems like a waste of a year really! x
Reply 8
tomangegi
Do the first one, and sell things on ebay to get some money up for travelling! I'm doing a job I really don't enjoy during my gap year, and its not fun! Just drags on and on an on - seems like a waste of a year really! x

What job is it? Also are you gonna go travelling?
I cant decide between Africa or South America!
Reply 9
iPod
What job is it? Also are you gonna go travelling?
I cant decide between Africa or South America!

My official title is 'Clerical Support Officer' - AKA - general dogs body lol its just admin stuff and data entry - the people in my office are really nice, its just the work is so dull and repetitive! Don't do it lol and I really wanted to but I don't think I will - gf troubles - not cool! But I'm just planning on travelling after uni x
can you afford uni if you go for 1?
Go for the money (screw 'chasing your ambitions' and all that shiz...) :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending