The Student Room Group
Liverpool Hope University
Liverpool
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

I've lived here all my life (and am still here for University) and it is not a dump! If you go to any other city you will probably find that it is worse.
Go and see it for yourself before you make statements about it.
Liverpool
Visit website
pah! rubbish! the campus itself is very safe! heck, it's next to a cathedral! I love liverpool!
Reply 42
I love it too, stay out of dodgy looking side streets (like in any city) and you'll be fine.
There are bad areas in EVERY city, Glasgow and Nottingham come out top for the worst crime rates in the UK but everyone seems to think Liverpool is worse. Why is it a dump exactly? Have you ever been here? I'm intrigued to know why the last poster thinks they've 'gone off' the place? Please englighten me?

--------------------------------------------

What you say is not true. Liverpool does have a very bad relative crime rate for certain crimes. As a Londoner who lives in Glasgow, I have to say I am familiar with both cities so I think my opinion should count for something. Glasgow is much bigger, much more impressive and cosmopolitan (rather than provincial) and heaps more lively. You can't compare them really. Liverpool depressed me. It's pretty much a dump. Sorry. I don't know Nottingham.
Reply 44
The places you need to worry about you will never come across, they are so far away from the Uni and the town and anything interesting going on.
Norris Green and Tuebrook, near where I live, can be pretty dodgy. The city centre for the most part is fine.
Reply 45
Your Name Here
Please don't write about something that you know nothing about. Liverpool University is IN TOXTETH!!

I am from Leeds, and I can say without fear of contradiction that Liverpool is a far more interesting city than Leeds, Manchester or any other city outside of London.

The night life is fantastic and much cheaper than other cities. The people are great. They have a feel for life and a zest that other cities don't. And for someone from Yorkshire, the crowning glory is that on summer weekends, when there is no football, the entire population seems to head for the beach!! I did not believe it at first, but the beaches are great. Can you imagine the fun with thousands of scousers having BBQ's on the beach? I vouch for and recommend Ainsdale, West Kirkby and Formby.

Liverpool a Dump? Nothing could be further from the truth. Go for a weekend and find out.

I know this is an old post, but this comment is soo true!
Living in North East Wales, about 50 minutes away from Liverpool, you can guarantee major traffic on a sunny weekend. It can take me over an hour to make a journey that normally takes 15mins. It does actually feel like the entire city's population descends on North Wales lol.
But who can blame them :p:

Anyway Liverpool is an amazing city! Which is why i've always wanted to go to university there.
Never seen any trouble or crime there, again amazing city, Love it!
Reply 46
p3bbl3z
I know this is an old post, but this comment is soo true!
Living in North East Wales, about 50 minutes away from Liverpool, you can guarantee major traffic on a sunny weekend. It can take me over an hour to make a journey that normally takes 15mins. It does actually feel like the entire city's population descends on North Wales lol.

Don't think it's the Welsh beaches that get the scousers (though some will travel there obviously), think it's the beaches up the Mersey estuary (Formby Point, Southport, Crosby, West Kirby etc).

On a side note, trying to get down the A55 on a Friday afternoon it neigh on impossible :P
Reply 47
DMed
Don't think it's the Welsh beaches that get the scousers (though some will travel there obviously), think it's the beaches up the Mersey estuary (Formby Point, Southport, Crosby, West Kirby etc).

On a side note, trying to get down the A55 on a Friday afternoon it neigh on impossible :P

The do seem to love Rhyl and Prestatyn though!!
Haha yup, bank holiday weekends I won't even attempt it!
Sticking to the lanes tends to be the easiest option lol.
Reply 48
jorgepeterman

What you say is not true. Liverpool does have a very bad relative crime rate for certain crimes. As a Londoner who lives in Glasgow, I have to say I am familiar with both cities so I think my opinion should count for something. Glasgow is much bigger, much more impressive and cosmopolitan (rather than provincial) and heaps more lively. You can't compare them really. Liverpool depressed me. It's pretty much a dump. Sorry. I don't know Nottingham.

Heck jorgepeterman, don't let not knowing what you are talking about stop you from commenting on a subject. And you purposely joined the forum to post that drivel? :rolleyes:

Here are the crime figures for Liverpool and Notthingham per 100,000 population from Upmystreet.com:

LIVERPOOL
Violence against the person 20.7
Sexual offences 0.7
Robbery offences 2.5
Burglary dwelling offences 9.5
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 3.8
Theft from a vehicle offences 9.5

NOTTINGHAM
Violence against the person 29.8
Sexual offences 2.0
Robbery offences 5.4
Burglary dwelling offences 15.1
Theft of a motor vehicle offences 4.2
Theft from a vehicle offences 15.3

Note how Nottingham has crime rates in many categories 50 pc higher than Liverpool's? As has been spelled out the the more informed members who have contributed to this thread, like any other urban area Liverpool has its problems, however, crime rates are not high for a large city.

As for Glasgow (a great place in terms of its grand architecture, top drawer museums, buzzing nightlife btw), it is not as easy to do direct comparisons as Scotland has its own judicial system, seperate from England's. However, let's look at a few categories, probably the ones that concern people most (the full list is here: http://www.upmystreet.com/local/crime-in-glasgow.html). Figures again crimes recorded by 100,000 residents.

NON-SEXUAL CRIMES OF VIOLENCE 64.0
CRIMES OF INDECENCY 21.0
Housebreaking 70.0
Theft from a Motor Vehicle 75.0
Theft of Motor Vehicle 31.0

Check that out! There are almost THREE TIMES!! as many non-sexual assaults per head in Glasgow compared to Liverpool. And 30 times as many sexual assaults. Holy hell! You are also many times more likely to have your car stolen or broken into in Glasgow than in Liverpool and seven times as likely to have your house broken into.

All this is a pity, because (as I've said) Glasgow is a great place in many respects but really think and maybe do a bit of research in the future before demonstrating to a bunch of strangers on an internet what an idiot you are.
Liverpool is far from a dump, I'm assuming those you've spoken to about it are basing their judgements on Liverpool's old 80s reputation.
Billions of pounds of investment into Liverpool have seen it transformed into one of THE best cities in the UK. As for crime, Liverpool doesn't even feature in the Top 10 of UK cities worst affected by crime.

There's so many hidden facts about Liverpool that people just aren't aware of. For example Liverpool has more art galleries and museums than anywhere else in the UK (excluding London, obviously) It has two major football teams, it's home to The Grand National, the worlds most famous steeplechase...
All these things might seem trivial so some, but if you add ALL of Liverpool's perks together than you've just got one massive success.
99% of people in Liverpool are really friendly, they'll stop and help you if you're struggling with something (has happened to me loads of times cos I'm clumsy as feck and always manage to fall over).

At the end of the day, if I wasn't from Liverpool (sorry, hadn't you guessed by now? I am a bit biased I suppose like :P) I'd probably be weary because of it's old school reputation but one weekend in the city would change your mind forever, I guarantee it!!!
jorgepeterman

You clearly aren't familiar with both cities because you don't know Liverpool at all! It's an amazing city, as are many others.

I've been to Glasgow myself - it was enjoyable but there isn't as much choice as to things to do once you've got bored of shopping!

Stereotypically, Liverpool has a bad crime reputation. That is all it is - there is no evidence to back it up. Stop living in the past.
PointyPineapple

All these things might seem trivial so some, but if you add ALL of Liverpool's perks together than you've just got one massive success.
99% of people in Liverpool are really friendly, they'll stop and help you if you're struggling with something (has happened to me loads of times cos I'm clumsy as feck and always manage to fall over).

This is actually true, I went to Liverpool last month to view my accommodation, after getting lost, I decided to ask a few people where to go, and they were very friendly, and directed me perfectly.
Reply 52
There are elements of the city that has areas you would consider a dump. However, this is in the minority and much work has been done to improve the image. Everytime I have been I feel safe, shame the same cannot be said about Birkenhead!! (Never go there, that Is a dump)
Reply 53
I've lived around here all my life, but I'll try to give a balanced view.

There has been a lot of investment going into the regeneration of Liverpool over the past few years, much akin to what was invested in Manchester a long while ago.

Liverpool isn't a dump, but it is a small city, and has a bad reputation due to prejudices that mainly stem from the image of the city in the 1980s, as one of the posters above mentioned.

However, I am shocked that it won the capital of culture thing the other year considering that there are other cities in the U.K. with a much wider and diverse culture exhibited than Liverpool. Hell, you only need to go on a night out to see that practically every club night caters to exactly the same small range of tastes, dance, R'n'B, and every students favourite, CRAPPY INDIE *****! Even the so-called alternative club (of which there is only one since the other clubs shut down) has zero diversity in the playlist from week-to-week, and is still playing mostly the same stuff it played in 2001.

But ranting aside, there are much worse places one could go, but also much better too.

Latest

Trending

Trending