Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i would agree with it 100% but its got some good parts and some decent people
Liverpool Hope University
Liverpool Hope University
Liverpool
Visit website
Ffs. It's like any other major city. You'll get good places and you'll get bad places. Where the Uni is situated happens to be quite nice as does where the uni accommodation is situated (Mossley Hill).
Why don't you visit and find out for yourself?
Don't listen to J4GGYBoss he is a tool. Liverpool is a great city, plenty of students from the 3 unis which makes it seem quite a young city.
Liverpool is a great city, of course there is high crime rate in some areas like all big cities. Don't let this put you off, you really wont be near those areas near the uni. Its a vibrant city with a great night life!
Reply 5
I think Liverpool's a really nice city, it's just got a bad reputation. It's going to have areas where you're not going to want to go, but it's the same with every other major British city. There's good parts and bad parts, but Liverpool's good parts are considerably nicer than many other places.
Reply 6
The city centre of Liverpool is immense. There's no way I'd call it a dump. The nightlife is excellent and it's generally a good place for a student to be, in my humble opinion.
Just don't go into Toxteth OP and you'll be fine.
Reply 8
where is toxteth op?
MissMaple
where is toxteth op?

OP meants original poster or something, Toxteth is a suburb of Liverpool that's known for being a bit rough.
Reply 10
There's good and bad in every town and city. Liverpool's no different from Manchester, Cardiff, Birmingham or even London. Admittedly it gets bad press in the media and the like and some pretty horrible things have happened here like the murders of Rhys Jones and James Bulger but for every scumbag here there is at least a few thousand decent, hard-working people. Some areas are indeed of regeneration which is taking some time but on the whole it isn't a dump. The city centre looks nearly new at the moment and that's thanks to the Liverpool One development that opened last year. Things here have changed a lot since I was a kid in the early 1990s. The only thing that doesn't seem to have changed is St John's shopping centre but that's the subject of rebuilding. It's been there since the 1960s so it's long overdue.
Nah its a fanastic place, its not London, or even Manchester, the city centre is very compact, but its pretty great place overall.

Yeah there are some really rough areas, but thats with all cities
I goto Uni there and live about half an hour away so I commute. I used to really like it but the more I go the more i'm going off it...i just don't think its nice anymore :s Much prefer to fo to the town shopping, for dinner etc where I live.
AGGGHH! :yikes: I get sick to death of people ripping Liverpool to bits!! OBVIOUSLY i'm going to support my city but come on, there's a higher gun/stabbing crime rate in Manchester than Liverpool, so if anything, you're safer in Liverpool than Manchester (I like manchester by the way...).

The University of Liverpool is in my opinion the most prostiguous in the North West and many employers prefer you have attended this uni than any other uni in this region. Liverpool is an amazing and vibrant city with the best football team, best music scene, best nightlife, 3 uni's and a capital of culture under it's belt - sure hundreds of thousands of students can't be doing wrong by coming to Liverpool to study!!

There are bad areas in EVERY city, Glasgow and Nottingham come out top for the worst crime rates in the UK but everyone seems to think Liverpool is worse. Why is it a dump exactly? Have you ever been here? I'm intrigued to know why the last poster thinks they've 'gone off' the place? Please englighten me?
Reply 14
I find it hard to believe that Liverpool still has such a bad reputation. It's an absolutely gorgeous city, if you go there you'll never be stuck for something to do. Plus, it's full of incredibly friendly people.

I'm not even from Liverpool and don't live there, so believe me, I'm impartial!
Reply 15
Liverpool and Glasgow's reputations are based on old stereotypes that no longer hold water. Glasgow is the third richest city in the UK, but people on here seem to think it is one giant slum. The crime rate in 1/5 of Glasgow brings the rest of the place down. 'Murder capital of Western Europe' may be the case in some of the housing schemes deep in the east end, where there seems to be killings every other week, but for the third biggest city in the UK, the chances of getting murdered overall is only around one in 25,000. Take into account most people who get murdered are far from angels themselves, and for the ordinary person, the real figure is 10 times lower.

Liverpool is a fantastic city, I certainly prefer it to Manchester (although I might prefer Leeds to both to be honest), but I've family who live just outside it, and I would have no qualms about living there. It's very similar to Glasgow to be honest- both cities which were once amongst the best in the world, but suffered in the wake of post industrial decline, most notably in shipbuilding. Belfast is very similar in this respect. All three have came out of this era, and while it takes a couple of generations for these stereotypes to die, you can be assured Liverpool won't hold this rep forever. Nottingham was seen as one of the places to study, then after a rise in crime in the space of a year, people have shyed away again, which shows how fickle A-Level students are. Give it 10 years, and I'm fairly confident they'll both be back on the radar as some of the most desireable places in the UK to study in.
AustralAlien
Just don't go into Toxteth OP and you'll be fine.

Toxteth isn't nearly as bad as it's reputation.

Oh and Liverpool's a great city. Fairly cheap living costs and great nightlife. However, I think you should visit the place before you decide to study there.
0404343m
Liverpool and Glasgow's reputations are based on old stereotypes that no longer hold water. Glasgow is the third richest city in the UK, but people on here seem to think it is one giant slum. The crime rate in 1/5 of Glasgow brings the rest of the place down. 'Murder capital of Western Europe' may be the case in some of the housing schemes deep in the east end, where there seems to be killings every other week, but for the third biggest city in the UK, the chances of getting murdered overall is only around one in 25,000. Take into account most people who get murdered are far from angels themselves, and for the ordinary person, the real figure is 10 times lower.

Liverpool is a fantastic city, I certainly prefer it to Manchester (although I might prefer Leeds to both to be honest), but I've family who live just outside it, and I would have no qualms about living there. It's very similar to Glasgow to be honest- both cities which were once amongst the best in the world, but suffered in the wake of post industrial decline, most notably in shipbuilding. Belfast is very similar in this respect. All three have came out of this era, and while it takes a couple of generations for these stereotypes to die, you can be assured Liverpool won't hold this rep forever. Nottingham was seen as one of the places to study, then after a rise in crime in the space of a year, people have shyed away again, which shows how fickle A-Level students are. Give it 10 years, and I'm fairly confident they'll both be back on the radar as some of the most desireable places in the UK to study in.

Actually, many of Liverpool's problems stem from Labour taking control of the vicinity in the 80s. They even sold the town hall, and it was basically to line their own pockets. No money was put into the community, so Liverpool as a city declined.

However, OP, don't be put off. Those days are long gone and Liverpool is a fantastic city. Perhaps visit it first and see for yourself that it's not a "messy dump."
Reply 18
Knut_the_bear
Toxteth isn't nearly as bad as it's reputation.

Oh and Liverpool's a great city. Fairly cheap living costs and great nightlife. However, I think you should visit the place before you decide to study there.

I couldn't agree more with that...Ive always wanted to move to Liverpool but the only reason I might be leaving is to go to Newcastle but it is still very very hard for me to go because once u come to Liverpool you never want to leave

Fantastic nightlife, Great Football Team (well done on thrashing the mancs 4 - 1 in there ownbackyard on Saturday lads:smile: ) and the people are so so friendly and you always find something to do here!!

Liverpool One is brilliant great shopping tastes, and the girls are one of the best in the country in my opinion!!!

The accent you also cannot buy!!

I know a few very good lads in Toxteth and Norris Green my advice is just stay the right side of them. Your part of th family your sound

The scousers are so soooo friendly!!

And Liverpool IS NOT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES A DUMP!!

Rant Over
Reply 19
Corky_LFC
I couldn't agree more with that...Ive always wanted to move to Liverpool but the only reason I might be leaving is to go to Newcastle but it is still very very hard for me to go because once u come to Liverpool you never want to leave

Fantastic nightlife, Great Football Team (well done on thrashing the mancs 4 - 1 in there ownbackyard on Saturday lads:smile: ) and the people are so so friendly and you always find something to do here!!

Liverpool One is brilliant great shopping tastes, and the girls are one of the best in the country in my opinion!!!

The accent you also cannot buy!!

I know a few very good lads in Toxteth and Norris Green my advice is just stay the right side of them. Your part of th family your sound

The scousers are so soooo friendly!!

And Liverpool IS NOT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES A DUMP!!

Rant Over

heyy i posted to help sway me towards liverpool, but ive read your considering coming to newcastle, well im from newcastle. you may find it hard leaving but its lovely here its been ranked the top city for students in the uk everyones very friendly and theres plenty of places to go/see and people to meet.

theres my rant lol x

Latest

Trending

Trending