The Student Room Group

art foundation portfolio help without an art education!!

i have my interview at lcc in a couple of weeks and i'm really worried whether if my "portfolio" would be sufficient enough. I didn't do Art at school and have taken the past two years out. From reading different posts topics on this forum I have gained an insight on what would be required. However i'm still unsure if it what i have done would be enough.

My portfolio is more like a glorified sketchbook (about 150 pages) including random bits of observational drawing, photography, experimentation and artist research. It is split up into different sections. i.e mini-projects (identity, council estates, childhood etc). The problem is that I don't really have any "final pieces" and i feel this could hinder my chances of getting in. I would like just like to get some feedback on whether its worth attending the interview and if so what i can do to strenghten my chances.

thank you
Reply 1
I would do some large drawings and paintings mate. I've almost finished my art foundation in York and they said i was one of the stronger pupils at the interview and all i had was a couple of rather empty sketchbooks with a few good drawings in there and some experimentation but i think they liked my few design sheets (not many) and then final pieces. I know at York on the course they like BIIIIIIG drawings. I'm doing 3d on the course and they like quick drawings that are large but can be used later on

so my advice get some inks go crazy drawing things on a2 or a1 which all tie in with some theme in your sketchbook and produce a final piece. im not talking something special but something that's done in 6-7 hours set a time limit and you'll force work out of yourself
Reply 2
I've done about 5 final pieces for my coursework... I think you do need a few, probably for each section of your portfolio as they give it that edge and that conclusion to the area. You could probably make some large scaled sculptures from recycled materials that wouldn't cost a lot - I've made one and seen loads which are really effective when completed. Also I'd probably suggest designing some sort of clothing for identity which you could include a load of stuff relevant to your identity. Some do shoes, hats etc too.
Reply 3
i would say that one sketchbook is no where near enough, im applying for first year in edinburgh for fine art and they suggest 3-4 sketchbooks, do maybe one on observational drawing as well as the one youv got, forget about concept for that sketchbook and just do drawings-they like drawings alot! then you need about 15 big pages A1 or A2, these of anything you want, but displaying a range of work, sculpture (photos), photography, observational drawing, definately some life drawing, still lives, pattern work... just get goin do a couple of pieces a night and you shud be ok, the more the better! hope this helps and good luck
Fiona
Reply 4
from reading the replies it appears maybe people have misunderstood me, probably due to lack of clarity. The portfolio is not for getting into a ba , obviously a sketchbook for that won't definetly be enough, but getting INTO an art foundation. Does this make any difference at all. note that the skechbook is roughly A3 size.

thanks for those that replied
Reply 5
No the first year in edinborough is practially equal to a foundation. Basically you can go from foundation to second year. Thats the problem with the scottish uni's for other subjects as their equivilent a level is behind ours so the first year is like sitting your a2s again. (from what i've heard)

Call the college up and see what they suggest you bring with you for the interview as you have no mentor to guide you. They'd give you a better guide than what we can, just don't let on you havent done the work.
Reply 6
Some of these replies are quite mean - you don't need to panic her/him unnecessarily.

I wouldn't miss the interview, but you could start working hard now to prepare in time for it. They will know you are a mature student who hasn't been taught at A level so they will be looking for the spark in you.

Sometimes the websites give more specific information about the amount/type of work they want to see. *Checks LCC websites*
I assume it is the UAL Diploma Foundation Studies (Art and Design) course that you are going to take?

Just in case you have not read this although you probably have:
What should I put in my portfolio?
Ideally your portfolio will contain a range of recent work. This work should be
generated by you whilst following an ‘A’ Level programme or perhaps NVQ
Advanced art and design vocational course or similar. You may be a mature
student returning to education.
We look very closely at your sketchbook activity, searching for indications that
you are able to work independently and have a keen personal interest in the
subject. So think about how you organize your sketchbooks. Ask yourself a
number of questions:
Are they visually interesting? Have you used and experimented with a range of
media and mark making techniques to express your ideas? What does your
work say about YOU, rather than the course you have been following?
There should be evidence that you have researched the work of other artists,
designers and creative individuals and that your research skills are well
developed. Look at the work generated by contemporary artists, film makers,
photographers and designers etc. and be aware of current exhibitions that
are taking place (include references to these in your sketchbooks).
The course at LCC is interested in people who have a wide creative base,
who are capable and enthusiastic about creating their own work. We are
looking for people with an enquiring mind and a desire to engage in creative
problem solving. Computing and IT skills are simply one of many tools we use
to fashion our ideas. Does your portfolio reflect this ethos? Have you explored
an extensive range of image and ideas generation possibilities? Does it
include examples of photography, typography or printmaking for instance?
If not it should!
In essence… We are looking for interesting people who are prepared to
challenge expected norms, to explore ideas, take risks and generally be
creative and inventive. Remember that this is a very popular and successful
course, which attracts students from all over the world who are interested in
developing their understanding in a variety of creative disciplines.
We are looking for dedicated hard working and highly motivated individuals.
We offer places to people not portfolios.
So find a way of putting yourself in there!

I would highly recommend going to a life drawing class between now and the interview. Try to find one that you pay for on the day rather than one where you have to buy a block of lessons (because that probably won't fit into the right time frame to be in time for the interview). Having experimental work with different media is useful to show your creative side - but they tend to really like seeing life drawings because these are the best way to judge your technical drawing ability. You would only need to have one or two.

At my sixth form, the teachers help you prepare portfolios in the form of A1 boards with mounted work on them. This doesn't mean the pieces of work have to be A1 sized, it depends how you feel you work best/can showcase your best work. You can have several drawings and paintings stuck to each board and just do as many as you can - I think most people do 10-15 boards but I could be wrong there. It doesn't matter though, you have an interview and can only do as much as you can do in time for it - don't worry about having fewer than other people (which you won't necessarily, people in my sixth form are struggling to get much done). Just try and produce quality rather than panic about quantity.

Most importantly, be prepared to talk about yourself and your work - they are most interested in your potential and your passion. A person with stunning work who can't talk about it is likely to get rejected. Someone who is really enthusiastic and they can see growing during their course is more likely to be accepted even if their current work is not as amazing.

Good luck.
Reply 7
To get into a foundation course they like to see all sorts of different media within your work to show your flexible in different areas.

Sketchbook work is great but the use of A1 sheets are important. If you can try to use between 10 to 20 sheets of A1 in your portfolio.

Life drawing is a great start to filling up those A1 sheets. Observational drawings using a variety of media. Make it mix media. You could even just use black and white media for an observational drawing using ink, chalk, pencil etc.

A quick way of final pieces...

For a final piece project I did a mini museum project. In a new sketchbook look at an artist who works with works with boxes. Making art out of boxes. Do several sketches of the artist, an essay (present in a decorative way i.e coffee stained and burnt paper) and then a photograph of the final piece. Usinf references from your artist, Find a box...I used a hat box and looked at identity. Other people in my class looked at the beatles, her family (making papier mache dolls), A family member etc.

Put in some canvas paintings and have some sketchbook work like artists or even an exhibition to back the canvas work up.

Your photography work. Make it into a photography work sheet. Put some experimental pieces on A1, refer to an artist even?

They look more at the design process in foundation portfolios so its really important to have drawings of design ideas in relation to research you have done in your sketchbook.

Also do some sketches of a textile artist like alison willoughby, grab a sewing machine. Do a quick skirt with some embroidery, or paint onto it...attach it to the a1 sheet and put some of the sketches you have done in relation to your artist on the sheet along with the skirt you made...fold the skirt to make it look presentable...even add samples to this sheet?

These are just some ideas. Also dont just have one sketchbook. Have several. Each under a different theme maybe. A3 should house a lot of different sketches, media experimentation, show primary and secondary source drawings, artist etc.
Reply 8
I wouldn't worry - when I applied for my foundation course, I was dreading handing in my portfolio as my GCSE art work was rubbish looking back on it, and I don't know how I got the grade I did, and I hadn't done art in my first year of college! I took it again this year as an AS which gave me four months of art work to present to them! I wouldn't worry about it at all - if you explain that you didn't do art in education, but can clearly show that you have a passion and drive for art (which I'm sure you can with your sketch book!) you will be fine! :smile:

Latest