The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Definitely Maths.

If you understand what's going on in the classroom, you don't need to put that much effort in outside.
Reply 21
Chris#1
I found Media easy as. Got 280/300 for the year, so I scored higher in English and History but unlike those subjects, a near perfect result in Media took very little effort and was never in doubt. For the final exam in June, due to a heavy exam schedule I only had time to revise the day before but with my good essay writing skills I scored 90/90.

What sort of work did you have to do ? Is there a lot of coursework?

All media students I know tend to be on facebook all day in college bored and getting sent home around 1pm..
Reply 22
Demi-Ciel
I do environmental science at the moment along with geography, biology and chemistry.

haha I took Maths last year and failed epically.

I've been told to do something like Media/Film Studies but theyre really not me. Critical Thinking sounds good too.

I'll just weigh up my options and speak with my tutor in the summer. Thanks for answers, my tutors and friends are quite biased towards science so good to have some input from others too =]

Could you explain what your doing exactly, as in are you doing a gap year and getting extra qualifications?

As I want to do something like that, currently doing AS, Economics, Geography, History and Computing, going to drop Computing and taking the rest to A2 level along with Maths AS

Now I want to take out a gap year to mainly do Maths A2 (and like you said two other subjects to make me a student) so I can apply for more Economics courses at some Unis that require it so I cant look back in the future and say "what if I took out a gap year and tried that, could I be going to a better Uni?"

Is this plan feasible? As in would Uni's see this as a three year A level thing or a year to get extra qualifications? And so is it better to apply whilst in the doing the gap year (so for me apply in September 2010 - January 2011 for September 2011 entry OR apply normally in September 2009 - January September 2010 for a normal September 2010 entry?

Sorry for the thread Hijack but would be grateful if someone could answer this
Reply 23
hamzab
Could you explain what your doing exactly, as in are you doing a gap year and getting extra qualifications?

My first year I took AS' in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and ICT. Didn't put any work in at all and only passed Biology.

My second year (now) I am doing A2 Biology and AS in geography, environmental sciences and chemistry. Failing chemistry again, accept I'm rubbish but will take the exam anyway.

My third year (next year) I will be taking A2 in Geography and Environmental Sciences. I will need to take an AS to make me a full time student.

Basically, because I screwed up my first year I have to do a third year as the uni I really want to go to and I'm applying for requires 2x A2 Levels and 1x AS Level Minimum.

Hope thats more clear. So I just need one AS subject, doesnt even matter what it is so I don't have to pay he ridiculous prices for exams.
Reply 24
Demi-Ciel
What sort of work did you have to do ? Is there a lot of coursework?

All media students I know tend to be on facebook all day in college bored and getting sent home around 1pm..

My AS year comprised of 2 exam modules and 1 coursework. The exam in June, as I have outlined, was a piece of piss. The other one we did was in January, so there was a nice spacing between exams, with the c/work done by about Easter. This may vary depending on the course run by your local college.

The Jan exam was about 2 and a half hours, so more endurance than anything else. It was two-fold; first hour was comparing 2 sitcoms we had analysed in class, just an essay. the rest was watching an action clip for a film 3 times over 45 minutes whilst making notes on all the different aspects of it, then writing an essay from this over the final 45 minutes. It was long, but pretty straightforward. Even the supposed 'thicko' of the class got an A. It was out of 90.

The coursework was long, and required quite a bit of effort; it was straightforward, but just took a lot of work. We had to create a magazine front cover and centrefold. This took three stages: Pre-production, Production, and post-production. The overall mark was 120. Our class scored well and the work was of a high standard, but we were shown finished examples of the same coursework from a local college which also achieved A's, and they were poor, which just conveys how easy the task was.
Reply 25
Chris#1

Ok thanks very much. That helped a lot :smile:
Reply 26
Demi-Ciel
I do environmental science at the moment along with geography, biology and chemistry.

haha I took Maths last year and failed epically.

I've been told to do something like Media/Film Studies but theyre really not me. Critical Thinking sounds good too.

I'll just weigh up my options and speak with my tutor in the summer. Thanks for answers, my tutors and friends are quite biased towards science so good to have some input from others too =]

Many would think otherwise, but those two subjects aren't as similar as people think. Media Studies focuses on how the media distribute their products (not just films) to appeal to different people. Film Studies is effectively English Literature, with films instead of books (or History of Art with paintings replaced by Films, your call) so don't assume if you won't like one, it'll be the same story for the other.

But, looking at your subject list I'd personally recommend physics if science is what your in to. It'll be hard, but you did say you didn't mind failing.
I'm doing Media As atm as well and i would suggest that as it is (worryingly) easy.
The new course which came in this year consists of a 2 minute long film on a given theme, this year's was crime drama, with a detailed storyboard, and a post- and pre-production report about the film and filming process.
Then we have one 2 and a half hour exam with 3 essay questions about the technical part of media.
Seriously I've put like half the amount in as I have for my other subjects and am still working at an A.
Reply 28
Cadge
But, looking at your subject list I'd personally recommend physics if science is what your in to. It'll be hard, but you did say you didn't mind failing.

Thanks, yeah I did think about physics but my maths let me down so much last year I don't think the college will even let me do it lol.

My college has bought in a new policy this year that if they think your going to fail they'll give you a couple of warnings to get your act together and then kick you out of the course. Yeah my college sucks lol (also trying to bring detentions in which is ridiculous!).
Reply 29
Demi-Ciel
Ok thanks very much. That helped a lot :smile:

Glad I could be of help.

And to the person who negged me, jealous much?
Reply 30
I'd agree with the people that have said Media - its very easy.
You do have to do work, after all it is an AS level, but to be honest a monkey could do it - so far this year i've drawn some storyboards, written a blog and picked what the characters in our mini film are going to wear and give reasons why - eg he will wear a long dark coat, to make him look mysterious :P and im on track for an A. So yeah, if your looking for easy (but not necessarily respected), i'd say Media!
Reply 31
Demi-Ciel
Thanks, yeah I did think about physics but my maths let me down so much last year I don't think the college will even let me do it lol.

My college has bought in a new policy this year that if they think your going to fail they'll give you a couple of warnings to get your act together and then kick you out of the course. Yeah my college sucks lol (also trying to bring detentions in which is ridiculous!).

No harm in asking.

I'm just trying to think of another sciency subject you could do. Closest I can think of is Psychology. Sorry for being no help lol
Mercedes.
You do have to do work, after all it is an AS level, but to be honest a monkey could do it - so far this year i've drawn some storyboards, written a blog and picked whats the characters in our mini film are going to wear and give reasons why - eg he will wear a long dark coat, to make him look mysterious :P and im on track for an A. So yeah, if your looking for easy (but not necessarily respected), i'd say Media!

This is true, to be fair. But as long as you take it with subjects that are relative to what you actually want to do in uni and get a decent mark on it, I don't think unis look down on it.
If the purpose of this is only to get you onto a third course and you don't actually care then do general studies / critical thinking as it is possible to do either (so long as you can construct a decent argument) without any work whatsoever.
Reply 34
If you like Psychology but dont want that amount of work, the first year of Communication Studies is bascially psychology but applied to real life so you dont have to memorise studies and loads of names (you do have to know a few different theorists but nothing like the amount for Psychology). the course work is quite big but easy if you pick an interesting topic that you enjoy. i had loads of fun on this course and found it a nice break from my other subjects which were more 'academic'
Reply 35
Cadge
No harm in asking.

I'm just trying to think of another sciency subject you could do. Closest I can think of is Psychology. Sorry for being no help lol

Oh you did help :yep: The media vs. film studies was very helpful as I thought they were quite similar.

In an ideal world I would just be amazing at chemistry and actually pass it lol. Media studies is probably my best bet or I could make some effort and do Psychology.
Waterstorm
Sociology is basically an easier version of psychology.

They are entirely different subjects!!
Reply 37
mad_emme
If you like Psychology but dont want that amount of work, the first year of Communication Studies is bascially psychology but applied to real life so you dont have to memorise studies and loads of names (you do have to know a few different theorists but nothing like the amount for Psychology). the course work is quite big but easy if you pick an interesting topic that you enjoy. i had loads of fun on this course and found it a nice break from my other subjects which were more 'academic'

That sounds good. I'll ask around my college because I haven't heard of that subject before. I don't mind a big bit of coursework as when I get into it I become an essay whizz lol.
Mercedes.
You do have to do work, after all it is an AS level, but to be honest a monkey could do it - so far this year i've drawn some storyboards, written a blog and picked whats the characters in our mini film are going to wear and give reasons why - eg he will wear a long dark coat, to make him look mysterious :P and im on track for an A. So yeah, if your looking for easy (but not necessarily respected), i'd say Media!

What exam board was this ?, i admit media isnt the hardest subject but is it this bad , In my media studies course we took one module in frameworks of analsying media , another one in advertising and analysing a certain film then C/W in a advert or short film. I got an A but it wasnt a 100% doss like you saying , work had to be done a little. Media isnt hard but if you dont revise like any subject unless you have a good undestanding you will fail. But if you want something not extremly hard and fun Media could be an option.
Reply 39
Demi-Ciel
That sounds good. I'll ask around my college because I haven't heard of that subject before. I don't mind a big bit of coursework as when I get into it I become an essay whizz lol.

May I ask what Unis your applying to Now?

Latest