The Student Room Group

Right then. A TSR Vetty Guide.

Hey guyyys.

As we all know, especially around the time people are thinking of putting in applications, the boards get clogged up with posts from new members - often asking questions that have been asked many times before.

While there is a TSR Vet Wiki guide, very few people ever check it out and it's not very informative. While I hope to update it I figure time could at first be better spent creating a general guide which I can get stickied - and hopefully, somehow, linked forever more at the top of the page.
Hopefully it being in plain view like this will encourage new users to check it out before they go cluttering the boards - saving the heartache of the old users, who are often forced to wail "please use the search function!"

I've started on it already, and have a rough plan that goes something like this:

 The Basics – Important components to any application and a small section about each one. Grades, Work-exp, extra-curriculars.

 The Universities – brief guides to each one

 The application process (PS, admissions policies, interviews (general advice/pointers - certainly not giving anything away!), offers, deadlines)

 If you’re unsuccessful (other routes, things to do in gap years, what the uni’s look for from gap years)/Alternatives to the D100

I want to make sure I've not forgotten anything though - and since we're such a close-kint sub-forum I also think it'd be cool to have everyone's input. So if anyone thinks, from the initial plan, that I've left anything out, let me know. I'll also be posting drafts as I go along, so people can suggest improvements before I post the thing as an uneditable final copy.

I did consider posting info about accommodation etc - but I only want this guide to be brief, otherwise people will get bored, stop reading, and post silly questions regardless. The details about each individual uni and its accommodation etc can stay in the wikis - and I'll put "For more info see the ... Wiki" at the bottom of each section, all hyperlinked for ease.

What do we reckon, guys? Just 'cause I'm bored (was sposed to go down the riding school today but physio did my back in last night, so I can't :rolleyes:) and figured I may as well do something worthwhile!

Should I bother carrying on? If yes, any input so far?

Edit// In "The Basics" there'll also be some info regarding the BMAT.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good idea! The only other thing I can suggest would be a section on graduate entry/doing another degree first. I guess that comes under you being unsuccessful bit. But is probably worthwhile doing, as well as stuff on gap yearsm, resitting exams etc.
Reply 2
kookabura
Good idea! The only other thing I can suggest would be a section on graduate entry/doing another degree first. I guess that comes under you being unsuccessful bit. But is probably worthwhile doing, as well as stuff on gap yearsm, resitting exams etc.

:yep: Was definitely going to include a bit on that. I don't know much about it to be honest, so when I get 'round to that part some info from the post-grads would be much appreciated :wink:
Very good idea. Think that covers all the main things...I can't think of anything else. Maybe a survival guide for anyone who's glued to the phone waiting for a certain uni to ring...:shifty: I seriously don't remember the last time I was this terrified. Oh, and maybe a little bit about the BMAT?
Reply 4
emilyyy
:yep: Was definitely going to include a bit on that. I don't know much about it to be honest, so when I get 'round to that part some info from the post-grads would be much appreciated :wink:

There are a few of us around who could help with that bit :yep: When I am free I'll see if I can make a start on any bits for you.

Maybe we would be best all posting whatever bits we write in here. Then, combining them all together and putting them in one thread at the end.
Reply 5
theparsniplady
Very good idea. Think that covers all the main things...I can't think of anything else. Maybe a survival guide for anyone who's glued to the phone waiting for a certain uni to ring...:shifty: I seriously don't remember the last time I was this terrified. Oh, and maybe a little bit about the BMAT?

Have edited the post accordingly :wink:

Breathe, Parsnip! I'l have my fingers crossed for you all day :yep:
Reply 6
Hmm I can see why graduate entry should go in "unsuccesful" but thats not always the case so maybe there should be a grad-entry bit with just a reference to it in the "unsuccessful" bit.

I appreciate us grads are in the minority but it is a bit different from undergad entry so might be useful to discuss funding etc?
Reply 7
Sounds like an excellent idea, I look forward to reading it :smile:
Reply 8
I can help you if you want. We'll probably have more things to say next year as well, when we're actually going to vet school.

A pics section would be kewl, showing accomm, campus, lecture theatres (if we're allowed to take pics of lecture theatres).
Reply 9
really good idea
you could do a myth-busting bit, and include stuff like "will my offer be higher if i retake 1 maths module" cos stuff like that has been asked way too much
Reply 10
Yep great idea.
I could write a how not to apply to vet school section for you!
Reply 11
Awww, Bumble :wink:

Good plans guyyys. Do we reckon the more complicated bits should be left for a wiki? Like do a full on wiki and this mini-guide? 'Cause I don't want this guide to be too long 'cause people will get put off reading and just post questions regardless :s-smilie:

Or do we reckon we should just give it a try and stick all the detail in this guide?
Reply 12
personally if i was reading it id want all the info in one place so its easy to find.
How about also adding certian useful links. Such as defras web site, obviously all of the vet schools' websites and things like the RCVS.
Reply 14
OllyH
How about also adding certian useful links. Such as defras web site, obviously all of the vet schools' websites and things like the RCVS.

I'd already thought about the vet schools, but yeah Defra's an idea. And RCVS, yeah? Any more you can think of?
Make sure you stress that the typical "horses all my life and SA vet work" will not suffice alone. I hear that one alot.
Reply 16
maybe to the ucas page with all the dealines etc etc,
emilyyy
I'd already thought about the vet schools, but yeah Defra's an idea. And RCVS, yeah? Any more you can think of?

BVA
This: http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp For people who dont posses a copy of Black's :tongue:
Speaking of books, maybe a reccomended reading list!
Reply 18
this is going to be HUGE
Also, a comment on vetsim/link would be very useful (ie no it wont increase you're chances of getting in, but yes it is fun and go if its not going to impact on work exp/ you are willing to pay). There are always tons of threads about those.

Latest

Trending

Trending