The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
myabe some of the bulkier bits like reading list could just be a link to a wiki page,
Reply 21
x_Bex_x
this is going to be HUGE

That's what I'm thinking. Hence why I suggested the abridged mini-guide for the top of the forum, then the majority of stuff in a wiki. Which everyone can then contribute to, individually, if they feel I've forgotten something when it's all finished.

The UCAS link sounds good.
TAD, I will stress that for sure. Also the fact that people actually need to think about what they're learning from their placements, not just attend them.
Olly, that's a really good point right there. Will definitely chuck that one in.
However, I think we should refrain from putting up current affairs info/ vacinnes etc. People should be reasearching that themselves, this thread should however give them a friendly nudge in the direction of where to find that information.

Likewise with work exp, I think we already have the bible thread to cover that. (only the work exp requirements should be stated here)
Reply 23
OllyH
However, I think we should refrain from putting up current affairs info/ vacinnes etc. People should be reasearching that themselves, this thread should however give them a friendly nudge in the direction of where to find that information.

Likewise with work exp, I think we already have the bible thread to cover that. (only the work exp requirements should be stated here)

Yep. I certainly don't want to be spoonfeeding people :no: First stage to realising that you're cut out for vet med is when you actively seek info like that yourself :wink:
Reply 24
I like spoon feeding people :frown: I really want to send everyone my e-notes. I will not though, ho ho ho.
Reply 25
Dissey
I like spoon feeding people :frown: I really want to send everyone my e-notes. I will not though, ho ho ho.

Your e-notes were amazing, to be fair :yep:
If you think its going to end up being really long you could always put big bold subheadings on the different sections so people can skip easily to the section they have a question about then read the rest if they want to. Sounds like a good idea though :smile:
Reply 27
emilyyy
Your e-notes were amazing, to be fair :yep:

Right?! The zoonoses one was fab-diddly-doo.
Dissey

i like being spoon fed,
but i do agree you shouldnt tell them everything, make them do a bit of work at least, its getting too easy.
You could put some of the info in spoilers, so people can open it if its relevant to them
nah bruv keep it secret keep it safe

Plus there's no real right or wrong, just main key issues, which people should know, or should go look for themselves
Reply 30
Annaconda
i like being spoon fed,
but i do agree you shouldnt tell them everything, make them do a bit of work at least, its getting too easy.
You could put some of the info in spoilers, so people can open it if its relevant to them

I mean, clicking on spoilers is quite tiresome and all. Only the true and committed would do it.
Reply 31
Ok, Ladies and Gentlemen. The first installment follows. Feel free to critique at leisure. Is the tone too chatty? Should I be more factual? Anything I've missed out? Etc etc etc.

The TSR Guide to Veterinary Medicine

First and foremost, welcome to the first and most important stop of the TSR Veterinary Science Sub-Forum!

With only seven universities in the UK offering the course (see below for names), and only an estimated 850 places up for grabs it’s a competitive course, and we all need all the help we can get!

This guide is supposed to answer any of the more basic questions you might have about applying to/reading veterinary medicine so before you go posting questions that have already been asked and clogging up the board, have a quick read through.

If you’ve skimmed through and find that your question still hasn’t been answered, do check out the VetMed wiki; this is a much more comprehensive guide with contributions from countless past and present TSR vet-soc members, and worth a read no matter what stage of your application/study you are at.

So what does the guide include?

~Your Application Important components to any application and a small section about each one. Grades, Work-exp, extra-curriculars. Plus info on extras including VetSim courses.

~The Universities A quick low-down on each institution, important notes on how the courses vary etc.

~The Application Process - Tips on constructing you Personal Statement and information about admissions policies (when you should be expecting interviews/offers and when all the deadlines are)

~What to do if you’re unsuccessful - Other routes into VetMed, things to do in gap years, what the uni’s look for from gap years and all that jazz. Also includes more information on Post-Grad entry.

So without further ado, I'll get started :yep:

The Basics

So we all know what constitutes a supposedly “perfect” vet med application; good grades, a range of work experience and evidence of extra-curricular activities. While the demands of each university vary slightly, these are the first things you need to consider when putting in your application.

Academia

The general offer for a place on the D100 is AAB, though it can be higher or lower at the discretion of the university for any particular individual. Most universities demand that you take Biology, Chemistry at A2 and then leave the third choice to you. There are a few, though, that also demand Maths or Physics in addition to those two. Some universities also stipulate that certain subjects must be passed at an A within that AAB offer.

Often the universities also demand a few minimum grades at GCSE. For most universities it is asked that GCSE Science, English and Maths are passed at a B. Again, though, requirements vary from university to university.

Some people ask whether the Extended Qualification or Maths Challenges and the like are really necessary in their D100 application. While these sorts of things aren’t demanded, they do show academic ability and every little helps. HOWEVER if you don’t have them, you certainly don’t need to stress. It won’t put you at any disadvantage, and many people get offers without them.

The only important academic extra required is the BMAT (Biomedical Admissions Test). This is a short exam, comprised of a problem-solving section, a section testing your maths/science abilities, and an essay in which you examine one of three essay titles (all usually with a scientific/medical slant). The results of this exam are only used by the Royal Veterinary College and Cambridge, however, so unless you are applying to these institutions you do not need to sit it.
(See this link for more information regarding the BMAT)

Whatever your academic position, make sure you check the websites of the individual universities to ensure your academics meet their minimum requirements before you apply (there are also details on the wiki, but the websites will be more up-to-date and reliable).

Links to the Vet Faculty websites of all the universities are available at the bottom of the page.

Work Experience

For extra info on work experience, check out the TSR Work Experience Wiki (link) as I’m only going to give you the brief run-down here.

Why do we have to do work experience? ‘Cause it gives you a better insight into what the career entails, so that when you make an application you are sure the career is one for you. It also means that admissions tutors know you have an actual idea of the profession and you have not simply been deluded by television shows and/or literature.

Again every university has its own requirements regarding work experience, and its worth checking out each individual website to ensure you tick all their boxes (see the links at the bottom of the page).

When people ask how much work experience should be carried out, the general amount we all advise to be done is the minimum required by Liverpool University simply because if you meet Liverpool’s work exp standards, you’ll meet the standards of all the other universities too.

For ease I’ll spoon-feed you Liverpool’s requirements:

~Ten weeks total work experience (a “week” is defined by the uni as one working week, so can range from five days to the full seven, depending on the working pattern at the establishment you are attending)

Of these ten weeks you must have:
~Four weeks Veterinary Work Experience two weeks large animal and two weeks small animal (preferably made up of at least two different practices)
~Six weeks Animal Husbandry Work Experience (placements that are advised include: Farms, particularly dairy farms; Kennels/Catteries; and Riding Schools/Livery Yards. It is often suggested that candidates should also try and undertake some lambing work.)
~Other placements such as zoo placements or a day in an abattoir/research

I must stress here though, that while the above suggestions make up the minimum amount of work experience you should have done for your, many candidates will have done a whole lot more.

It is not unusual for candidates to have one or even two placements, in either category stated above, which they have been attending on a regular basis for a year or more. Bear this in mind. Universities will certainly not reject you if you haven’t had placements of this sort of duration, but attending an establishment for that length of time does show dedication to the career and will leave you with far more of an insight than a placement that lasts only a week.

The most important thing to consider when arranging work experience placements though, is that you have a good range. Variety is key.

Make sure you actually learn from your placements too. It is not enough to simply attend them. Are you acquiring practical skills that will be useful as a vet? Are you learning more about profession itself? These are the sorts of questions you need to ask yourself.
Some people like to keep case-books of their work experience files, so they can see exactly what they did at the time, and mull over what they’ve learnt at a later date. This is not a necessity, but I will not dispute its usefulness.

Extra-Curriculars

The universities like applicants to show evidence of extra-curricular activities in their applications. It is widely accepted that there should even be a paragraph in your personal statement devoted to them (for more on the Personal Statement scroll to the Application Process section below or check out the wiki).

The reason behind this love for extra-curriculars is threefold:
~It indicates you are a well-rounded applicant, with interests beyond studying.
~ Many extra-curricular activities demonstrate that you have skills/qualities that the universities are looking for in potential vets.
~ The Veterinary profession is a stressful one, and one of the best ways to deal with stress is to escape into another pass-time. The universities like to see that you have already developed hobbies of your own to do this with.

There is no particular extra-curricular activity that is particularly desired by the universities, nor is there one that will put you at any disadvantage. It is usually best, however, to have a mix of team-playing and solitary activities so that the universities know you are not some self-absorbed loner or, equally, someone who cannot function independently.

Examples of activities that have been included in Personal Statements and the sorts of desirable qualities they demonstrate are:
~House-Captain; Position of responsibility/leadership.
~Football Team; Able to work as part of a team.
~Grade# at whichever instrument; Dedication and self-motivation.
~ Debating Club; Good communication skills.

You get the gist.

The Extras

So what else is there that you could throw into your application mix to improve it? Not much really!

Some people ask whether attending courses/conferences will boost the chances of their application. In a word, no. Some people can afford to attend these courses and some can’t; it’d be unfair, therefore, if the universities were biased towards those that did attend.

The only purpose of these courses is to offer a little more information about the career itself, a little more about the application process and in the case of university-specific programmes like VetCam and a little more about the universities. Your attending the courses might increase your knowledge and be useful in that respect, but simply stating that you’ve attended such a conference will not improve your application in the slightest.
(For more Information on the various courses available, see the links at the bottom of the page, or check out the wiki)

I still need to chuck in a couple more hyperlinks, including those to the BMAT. Also need to double-check the general guideline for GCSEs. Some info on the Scottish Apps would be good as I'm too lazy to look it all up myself. I'll also probably play around with the formatting at some point, to make it all look perfect. Maybe shove in some pictures to break up all the text? It depends how much time I've got on my hands over the next couple of weeks. But yeah. As a first draft, for the Intro and First Section, whadd'y'all think?
looks good

well done
Very good- you've obviously been very busy!! Yer, I like the tone, makes it seem like we're all nice friendly people, not like those nasty medics :tongue:
Emily you could also do with a mod to edit this up, make it a sticky and then maybe make it official, it will be easier than how it as at the moment where the actual guide begins on page 2..

And everything you've written is great, someone's been busy :smile:
Reply 35
I like it :yep: Make a separate thread though, and them ask a mod to stickiezz it.
Reply 36
im substantially impressed :tongue:
bmat advice is definately a good idea...rvc seem to reject quite a lot on just bmat scores

EDIT: just looked on the wiki guide...the webby address for notts is wrong!!
Reply 37
Transatlanticdrawl_
Emily you could also do with a mod to edit this up, make it a sticky and then maybe make it official, it will be easier than how it as at the moment where the actual guide begins on page 2..

And everything you've written is great, someone's been busy :smile:

Awww, guysss, I'm not a silly noggin you know!

This is just my draft thread, so that people can comment/I can edit at leisure. I won't be getting a mod to sort out the stickies until I've done all the sections, people have ok'ed them, and I've completed all suggested edits.

But yeah, after that I'll definitely be getting a mod on the job, stickying the guide, locking it (so no-one can post and clutter it - if people think that's a good idea, that is) etc.
Once it's all up I'll also ask them to delete this thread so that there's no confusion etc :yep:

Sound like a plan?

And I'm glad my two reviewers approve so far :wink:

EDIT// OR do we think all sections should be posted in separate replies all in one thread? Would that make it all any clearer? Hmmm. In which cases, I could submit into the stickied thread as I go along...

EDIT2// Three reviewers :tongue:

EDIT3// Lots of reviewers!
There's a fitness sticky which originally had separate replies for each topic, that kind of worked well.

It's up to you bud
Reply 39
haha now i just wish this kinda thing had been around when we were all applying! :tongue:

Latest

Trending

Trending