The Student Room Group

Neonatal Nursing which route is better to take midwifery or childrens nursing ?

HI

I am a mature student (25) and start my access course in sept I hopefully will then be going to UWE.
After my initial traing I want to do the NHS traing modules to become a neonatal nurse as thats what i really want to do.

Which route Is better for me to take Midwifery Degree , Childrens nursing Dipolma or Childrens Nursing Degree ?

Also I have heard the midwifery degree is a lot more to take on than a nursing diploma or degree and vice versa im so confused can anyone advice me please with the pros and cons of the courses?

Also will any of the courses be more usefull than others when applying for neonatal nursing poitions in the distant future :smile:
Childrens nursing is the best way to go for neonatal really, do the diploma as you can end up with the degree anyway and get more money, you will probably need to do a masters degree aswell.

but yes, do childrens nursing for neonatal intensive care. just a point though, i've seen many people not enjoy their courses as they've gone into it with a specific and specialized area of nursing in mind, and therefore havn't got the best out of their placements due to finding them boring etc, so i'd really suggest going into it with an open mind but keep neonatal nursing at the back...

hope that helps
Reply 2
You would be better off doing children's nursing. You would probably end up doing a neonatal placement at some point anyway, as children's nurses have to be able to work with young people from 0-16.

Also you would have a much better chance of getting a place at university for children's nursing as competition is fierce for places on the midwifery degree because there are far more applicants than there are places.

You may be entitled to more bursary on the diploma because it is non means tested and does not have to be paid back. You could then 'top-up' your diploma to a degree once you have qualified.
Reply 3
I agree with above posters. Child nursing is the way to go.
I know some unis will offer modules in it and you may do a week or so placement, on some Midwifery courses you probably wont even get to do experience on the neonatal ward.

I would say however go with the degree, the diploma is being faded out and while you may get slightly less money during initial training, it's much better to come out already a step 'up' on the ladder, rather than with a diploma when most nurses are coming out with degrees. You'll end up eventually training up to degree, so why not do it all at once? Hope that makes sense.

As a mature student you'll probably do quite well out of the means tested bursary, unless your partner has a very large income. I'd definitley go with degree in Child Nursing if I were you :smile:

Latest