The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Fluffy
Such an old story! They're in cages at The London to stop them being removed by the local EtOH dependents... I've walked past the usual suspects by the war memorial with green bottles a plenty on more than one occasion!

what about on patients beds?
Reply 41
anna_spanner89
as long as you wash them with the soap and water before and after theres no point using the alcohol, however it depends on whos bed your changing, the type of ward your on etc

It shouldn't though... Cross contamination is cross contamination. If you have anything on your hands, but not at least geling em between beds, you'll end up potentially giving whatever to everyone...

Stupid bloody infection control nurses - seriously. Nurses would have a doctors arse for just approaching a patient without at least geling - regardless of whether contact takes place, yet it's OK for student nurses to be contaminating every bed they make... It's a complete JOKE... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Reply 42
anna_spanner89
what about on patients beds?

Caged and attached to the end of the bed semi securely... Can be removed, but with effort/screwdriver...
Fluffy
It shouldn't though... Cross contamination is cross contamination. If you have anything on your hands, but not at least geling em between beds, you'll end up potentially giving whatever to everyone...

Stupid bloody infection control nurses - seriously. Nurses would have a doctors arse for just approaching a patient without at least geling - regardless of whether contact takes place, yet it's OK for student nurses to be contaminating every bed they make... It's a complete JOKE... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

woah...take a chill pill! I didn't phrase myself well, when changing beds in the morning and doing one after the other, i use soap and water, alchol and between each bed use my gel, then at the end of changing the beds i'd rewash in soap and water, however if im just changing one bed for whatever reason, i'd just use soap and water, it's how i've been taught :dunno:
Reply 44
only in england :tongue:
Old news. I thought this was common knowledge?
Like drinking mouth wash etc...
Maybe a stupid question but at work when I put this gel on, I sometimes have open wounds afflicted by my claw happy cat, I feel a little dizzy. Only very slightly. Is this because I am getting tipsy from the gel getting into my blood stream?? and if so then yay, drunkness at work. Yay.
The Procrastinator
Maybe a stupid question but at work when I put this gel on, I sometimes have open wounds afflicted by my claw happy cat, I feel a little dizzy. Only very slightly. Is this because I am getting tipsy from the gel getting into my blood stream?? and if so then yay, drunkness at work. Yay.

if its a cat scratch i doubt its in the bloodstream would have scabbed up pretty quickly, probably the smell maybe?
anna_spanner89
if its a cat scratch i doubt its in the bloodstream would have scabbed up pretty quickly, probably the smell maybe?

haha I wouldn't be so sure. Ebony the cat can't retract her claws properly so when it went in, it really WENT IN and I pulled my finger away and a chunk of skin is now missing. Haha. but yeah the smell could have that effect cos usualy I'm starving hungrey and a bit dizzy and that smell does not help the situation! :biggrin:
Reply 49
Fluffy
Such an old story! They're in cages at The London to stop them being removed by the local EtOH dependents... I've walked past the usual suspects by the war memorial with green bottles a plenty on more than one occasion!

Maybe for those who deal with it every day, but not for everyone else :tongue:
Democracy
Maybe for those who deal with it every day, but not for everyone else :tongue:

It is old though, I never knew people didn't know about it. Like I said; I've heard of alchies drinking mouthwash as well.
I once had this dude use a bottle to pee in the bed, and then tried to drink it if i hadn't stepped in in time...

total ledgend that man was..had the best stories, but not all there! He was also the first cardiac arrest i'd seen
Reply 52
Bubbles*de*Milo
It is old though, I never knew people didn't know about it. Like I said; I've heard of alchies drinking mouthwash as well.

Yeah I heard about the mouthwash thing, but as you can see through this thread, some people don't know about it :wink2:
Democracy
Yeah I heard about the mouthwash thing, but as you can see through this thread, some people don't know about it :wink2;

Fail.
(**** me I'm lame).
Bubbles*de*Milo

Listerine is 40% alcohol! :eek3:
yum

listerine and coke...
Reply 56
junglemonkey
Listerine is 40% alcohol!

Isn't that why they think it might lead to people having a higher risk of getting cancer *tries to remember*?
Reply 57
ew..it tastes horrid.i bought some carex hand gel today:cool:
Democracy
Isn't that why they think it might lead to people having a higher risk of getting cancer *tries to remember*?

Yep!

But low alcohol mouthwashes and no alcohol mouthwashes are totally fine.
We had been warned about the possibility of patients drinking hand gel and were told to remain vigilant. My sisters,both medics, have stopped people from doing it and assured me that it is not a pretty site at all.

In my Hospital there are no alcohol hand rubs at the end of each patient bed. We do however have two on either side of the door on the way in with access to a sink with even stronger stuff and are expected to carry our own tiny bottles,pocket sized.It interests me to note the differences between institutions despite how trivial they appear to be.

junglemonkey
Yep!

But low alcohol mouthwashes and no alcohol mouthwashes are totally fine.

No way! Really? Do you have any recommendations?