The Student Room Group
Reply 1
ah no i dont think its a good idea to give bio, now that you have only a few months remaining. Plus you're doing 4 other AS level subjects so you're bound to screw them up if you put in extra effort into bio.
its not that easy...people are like oh yeah yeah its easy..and well it depends on your own ability anyway. i found the first module really tough but the rest of the year easy..*Shrug* if i were you i wouldnt take on any more work..maybe drop an AS at the end of this year and take up bio AS then?
Reply 3
it's not easy..it's horrid..not necessarily hard but the questions are horrid..the mark scheme is horrid..which makes it a horrid subject
I guess it also depends on the exam board you do. If its ocr (the one im doing) then you'll be fine however some people who did edexcel vbiology were saying it was really hard.

I find it on the whole very interesting and not too challenging
Reply 5
Well the concepts are not that hard to understand but you need to retain A LOT OF INFO!!

And yea - it is easier that chem and physics in the respect that its not very difficult to grasp because the principles are all very similar.

However the exam questions are AWFUL!! And the marks schemes are very MEEEAAANNN!!

So i really dont think its a good idea for you to take it up right now with only months left. Your brain will explode from all the info + you've got your other subjects.

:smile:
Reply 6
Study the AS over the summer holidays and take up A2 biology in September.
Reply 7
This belongs in the A-Level forum. The secondary schools/college forum is for discussion about school related stuff (e.g. which college to go to). I've moved your post to the right forum :smile:.
Reply 8
CertifiedAngel
I guess it also depends on the exam board you do. If its ocr (the one im doing) then you'll be fine however some people who did edexcel vbiology were saying it was really hard.

I find it on the whole very interesting and not too challenging

What! OCR has to be the worst!!! If at leat you are doing the old spec i.e. unit 1-foundation, unit 2-human health and disease and unit 3 transport. I did Unit 1 3 times and got a UEU and did unit 2 and 3 twice and got U's everytime! I actually enjoyed Unit 2 but god that Mark scheme *Shudders*

Changed to AQA B Biology and got a B in Unit 1 first go. although I have now dropped it as I have no time for it :tongue:

But anyway, I guess it depends on the person. If you are good at remembering stuff then give it a go. I

Why don't you just revisie for one module and sit it, then do the others in Jan?
Reply 9
London271
What! OCR has to be the worst!!! If at leat you are doing the old spec i.e. unit 1-foundation, unit 2-human health and disease and unit 3 transport. I did Unit 1 3 times and got a UEU and did unit 2 and 3 twice and got U's everytime! I actually enjoyed Unit 2 but god that Mark scheme *Shudders*

haha god i agree, i did ocr!
i took biology after they finished teaching the transport module so taught myself it, and got a C. Got D/E in the other 2 modules though, hate them! Foundations soo hard, but I resat that this jan, sooo god knows how i did. Biology is NOT EASY!! :mad:
London271

Changed to AQA B Biology and got a B in Unit 1 first go. although I have now dropped it as I have no time for it :tongue:

But anyway, I guess it depends on the person. If you are good at remembering stuff then give it a go. I

Why don't you just revisie for one module and sit it, then do the others in Jan?

I'm doing the new spec its quite good
if you want to do medicine, then do biology and chemistry. It'll be easier when you apply as then you will have more options of where to go. Not doing biology would limit you.

Biology is good, its really interesting and if you are considering medicine then you probably will too. Its not really hard as its basically just learning lots of information.
If you have an aptitude for science, which you seem to if your taking the rest, you should find AS biology, very easy.

that is not me saying its easy for everything, I find art incredibly difficult, but biology, just like others who are taking other sciences and have always excelled in the area, I find very easy.
Reply 13
Personally I find Biology AS ok, not too hard or too easy. If you have photographic memory of some sorts do it! :p: A few months though is pushing it...especially when it takes 9 months for the rest of us.
Reply 14
CertifiedAngel
I'm doing the new spec its quite good

I'm doing Edexcel...had to retake unit 1, got a U last time...my advice would be to learn the exam structure really well...I asked for my paper back and found that I had the anwers right but didn't put them the way they wanted them...for example with the graph questions I didn't know that you just put the information not evaluate them...lame!!

I hate the new spec!!! it is more like psychology...the exams are all graphs and ethics...it doesn't feel like biology at all...
biology as is hard---Im reali struggling :frown:
There is a lot of memorising involved and you need to adapt to the style of questions and the mark schemes they have. Personally I find it alright, easier than physics and chemistry (from GCSE and AS level experience respectively.) More interesting too. Due to the high volume of info in biology though, I think you will find it difficult to learn it all starting now in time for January exams/June exms.

Latest

Trending

Trending