The Student Room Group
(Probably not quite the right forum, but no worries :wink: )

Check with the unis you want to apply to. Probably you'll have ot be vaccinated against Hep B. You have three jabs, one at t=0, one at t+1 month and one at t+6 months, or somehting along those lines. Then a blood test a month later to check your immunity. If you're not immune, then you'll need a booster.

As to whether you'll have to pay, that depends on your GP practice. Current national guidelines suggest you will have to pay for them, however local procedures vary and they may give them to you free. Price varies, at my surgery it's £30 a vaccine, and then £10 for the blood test afterwards.
Reply 2
Thankyou Very much. sorry for posting in the wrong forum.... theres so many, i get confused :eek3:
Hehe, no worries, I see the mods have moved it :biggrin: :tsr3:
im fairly sure your occupational health department will give you the vaccinations for free when you start
anna_spanner89
im fairly sure your occupational health department will give you the vaccinations for free when you start

Depends, some universities state that you must be immune by the start of your course, meaning you would have needed to have the first jab in like Januray-ish.
Revd. Mike
Depends, some universities state that you must be immune by the start of your course, meaning you would have needed to have the first jab in like Januray-ish.

i dont think so, firstly some people don't respond to the hepititas vaccine, such as myself after many attempts and therefore just have to avoid it in my career- so it's not an issue, also what about students entering via clearing etc?

Im still to hear of a uni which doesn't give out vaccinations free...and i'd like to hear of one
anna_spanner89
i dont think so, firstly some people don't respond to the hepititas vaccine, such as myself after many attempts and therefore just have to avoid it in my career- so it's not an issue, also what about students entering via clearing etc?

Im still to hear of a uni which doesn't give out vaccinations free...and i'd like to hear of one

Yet there are some unis which state that you should be immune prior to commencement. Mostly for medicine, so clearing isn't an issue, and people who don't respond to the hepatitis B vaccine are obviously going to be a minority special circumstance.

I didn't say there weren't any that don't give them for free, I don't know anything about that. All I'm saying is that some have a requirement for completed immunisation.
At essex we didnt need the vaccine, and ive now started doing the course on my placement year free of charge due to the occupational health department of the hospital.
Reply 9
Well im going to SGUL and its not free i had to have it by the 1st june this year or my offer would have been withdrawn
EH18
Well im going to SGUL and its not free i had to have it by the 1st june this year or my offer would have been withdrawn

Did you have to have proof that you needed the vaccine? When I asked my doctor he said I needed to prove I needed it, then when I went to my uni they said I didn't need it as everything in the uni labs are screened.... which doesn't help when applying for a job soon! So yeah - can you just walk in and request it at your doctors? I know it'll cost if I do it that way but... (I'm doing Biomed btw so will probably need it for whatever job I get)

Latest

Trending

Trending