The Student Room Group
Reply 1
It's a bloody unpleasant thing to do, but realistically the Muslim fellows should appreciate that this is a few tossers who don't represent Denmark/Christians/the West. Get over it, I suppose.
Reply 2
oh great, now the Muslims will retaliate and it'll start all over again. `
Reply 3
The link is from 2006
Reply 4
Lefty_P
"InternationalDanish Muslim leaders warned on Saturday, February 4, of grave consequences if copies of the Noble Quran were burnt in a rally planned by Danish extremists to protest Muslim anger over cartoons mocking Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)."

And what about the consequences of Muslims attacking cricket players ?
Why are Muslims so hypersensitive when they are happy to go around killing people ?
Reply 5

Surely they'd not be hypocritical...

But yer, the OPs link and consequent thread are ridiculous.
Reply 6
Yeah, I'm not generalising obviously but everyone pussyfoots around Muslims in case they get upset.
I'm sure the majority of Muslims are perfectly fine- but the small minority speak loud enough.
If the Danish people burn the Qu'ran- just get over it.
Reply 7
A few nutcases on either side and suddenly it's a front-page story.

Three Years ago.
Reply 8
L i b
It's a bloody unpleasant thing to do, but realistically the Muslim fellows should appreciate that this is a few tossers who don't represent Denmark/Christians/the West. Get over it, I suppose.

The point isn't "pleasantness" or who it is the Quran burners represent, the point is that people should have the right to say what they want, without death threats. People burn other things. Certain Muslim leaders really need to get a grip with the idea of free speech within Western Society. Just because it's holy to them doesn't mean that it has to be respected by everyone. Dissent to behavior is an integral part of democracy, and I think it's a shame that this principle is going by the wayside because of intimidation techniques.
Reply 9
Burning books is pretty sad. However, the idea of "all hell breaking loose" and "grave consequences" seemingly are threats of violence from Muslims.

There is an important difference between attacking a belief system or a text and attacking people. Its ironic that the islamic extremists are responding to the demonstration with just the kind of behavior which caused the demonstration in the first place. Incidents in the recent past where there were violent protests or even murders as a result of things deemed "offensive" by Muslims lead right wing Danes to feel their free speech and culture are being threatened. hence they start reacting.

In my view the Danish right are idiots, but they have every right to do as they are, both in danish law and morally. I feel, however, that the reaction may again be wrong legally and morally. I just hope the Muslim extremists keep their heads and simply have a counter protest, perhaps burning a few Danish/American/Israeli/British flags as usual (hypocrites).
The article was written in February 2006 - its over 2 years old.

Whilst I don't think it would have been a smart thing to do, I completely understand why people wanted to burn the Qu'ran after the despiracble response of a small number of Muslims to the cartoons.
They burnt the Tanach in Holland a few years ago, no outrage no massive protests no death threats from Jews. I can bet this will be different.

Latest