The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Noooooooooo! This is all sooooooooooo wrong!

Yes, we work really hard (well, most people work really hard. Some people don't!), but many people party really hard too: drinking, clubbing, etc.

There IS a Freshers Week, which is about 5 days IIRC

:biggrin:
The_Lonely_Goatherd

Yes, we work really hard (well, most people work really hard. Some people don't!), but many people party really hard too: drinking, clubbing, etc.

iirc?
dark<>horizon
iirc?

If I recall/remember correctly :smile:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
If I recall/remember correctly :smile:

muchisimas gracias!
Reply 5
The_Lonely_Goatherd

how did you get into oxford with your grades!!
Reply 6
thecdon

Because she's a feccking brilliant musician. That will be why :yep:
Ehmo
Because she's a feccking brilliant musician. That will be why :yep:

thecdon

My tutor wasn't that bothered when I missed the grade slightly.

Plus I'm a fecking brilliant musician :cool:

Reply 9
The_Lonely_Goatherd
My tutor wasn't that bothered when I missed the grade slightly.

Plus I'm a fecking brilliant musician :cool:

awesome! what a levels did you do? and what instrument(s) do you play
Reply 10
purplepossom99
What is it like going to Oxford/Cambridge.. do most people jsut work really hard and not enjoy chilling our drinking clubbing etc?

Ha. No, just no.
purplepossom99
What is it like going to Oxford/Cambridge.. do most people jsut work really hard and not enjoy chilling our drinking clubbing etc?
I'm considereing going there but i dont wanna be stuck with people who dont wanna have fun you know!!

If you're ideal night out is going to a curry house, sinking ten pints of lager then going to a club to get off with a randomer you'll find people who want to do that. If you're ideal night out is chapel followed by the library and prayer group, you'll probably find people who want to do that too. If you want something in the middle, you'll be alright.

Plus the workload isn't that intense. What is intense is the workload combined with rowing, acting, choir, football, rugby, the union or whatever. Everyone does so much stuff they have no time for anything else. And, as far as I can tell, other unis have much lower participation in sport, drama and student societies than Oxbridge.

Also is it true theres no freshers week at Oxbridge?

Thankssss!!!!

Kind of. In Cambridge, Freshers' week starts on Saturday and ends on Wednesday night. But you won't have much work for at least the first week so you can kind of treat that as freshers' week too.
purplepossom99
I'm considereing going there but i dont wanna be stuck with people who dont wanna have fun you know!!
Also is it true theres no freshers week at Oxbridge?

Thankssss!!!!

It depends on your personality. You're free to prioritise whatever you care about the most. There are lots of different students with different desires and habits. If you like going out, you will find friends with those same interests. If you really get into your degree, there will be other people who do that too. And we start work really fast once the term starts, but we have a huge week at the end of each year (Cambridge) called 'May Week'. Basically between the end of your exams (which might be several weeks before May Week, or only a week before) you're totally free to chill out with your friends, and there's loads of really fun stuff on. May Week itself is chocobloc filled with parties/May Balls/June Events/plays, etc. So that beats any Freshers Week. Plus people tend to stay on a bit after term and come up just before term which gives them extra opportunity for unconstrained fun. (not to mention the fact that lots of people engage in freshers week in spite of the work at the beginning. :dontknow:
I don't seem to be working any harder than my friends at other universities. It also depends on the subject. I go clubbing 3/4 times a week, spend other nights relaxing in the bar or in my room. I have a lie-in pretty much everyday, watch about 3 hours of TV a day and play quite a bit of sport. I do an arts subject, though, whereas scientists don't have this amount of free time as they go to more lectures and to labs for a good part of the day.

It's what you make of it really, and it also depends on your time management skills.
Wow thanks for all the responses!!!
Is it true weed is commonplace?
Reply 15
I should certainly hope not.
purplepossom99

It's definitely around the place but I can't imagine that it's more present than it is at any other uni :smile:
Reply 17
purplepossom99

I've certainly never noticed anyone who wanted to smoke it not being able to find any.
purplepossom99

If you're into it, it's not difficult to get hold of. (PM me if you're Oxford-oriented.)
Hmm, since this just seems to be a thread with random comments about Oxbridge, reading that wiki article, it surprises me that there is such a big Christian community, I mean you'd think most students would be a bit more intelligent than to believe in [insert Christian rant here]. Please don't bite my head off. I wish to neither offend nor start some really stupid debate on how **** Christianity is :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending