The Student Room Group

Scandal! Outrage! Discrimination! Victory?

Shock-horror!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=15334901&method=full&siteid=89488&headline=cambridge-uni-ban-students-in-kilts-name_page.html

More shock!

http://news.scotsman.com/education.cfm?id=325732005

Did we just win? :rolleyes: Hahaha, I have a weird surge of patriotism sweeping over me....

Declaration of Arbroath
For so long as 100 of us remain alive, we will never in any degree be subject to the rule of the English. For it is not for glory, riches or honour that we fight. But for liberty alone, which no good man loses, but with his life

Actually, I have always though the kilt-thing is very silly - it was not traditional in lowland Scotland and the kilt today was a Victorian, ENGLISH invention anyway. However, they are very flattering...
lol. I love the claims of "Racism". I would neveer suggest anyone was racist if I was banned from wearing white-tie.

MB
Reply 2
It's all totally stupid if you ask me, you don't have to take the degree in person and they have a point about beinga member of the University as well as anywhere else, you wouldn't wear clothes from all your affiliations everyday. There's just no need for it, do you think these people would be so 'flexible' and '21st century' if someone turned up in, say, an SS uniform with gown and hood? Political point scoring if you ask me...

I don't own a kilt anymore, and I wouldn't wear one if I did, I really don't like the Reid tartan :rolleyes:

A.
Reply 3
just another excuse for papers to badmouth cambridge. its not like you're prevented from wearing national dress at any other time; formal halls are great in terms of kiltage. i totally agree with the 'member of a university' thing Alaric- its ONE bloody day when you put your affiiliations to the university first.

are they forbidding religious dress? no. so stop moaning and trying to make out that this uni is a racist and stuck in outdated ways, it most certainly is not.

rant over. sorry. need to let off steam after disappointing boat race result
Reply 4
Traditional Indian dress wasn't an issue last year as long as you applied to the Proctors in advance :confused:
Reply 5
shiny
Traditional Indian dress wasn't an issue last year as long as you applied to the Proctors in advance :confused:

really!? ugh, don't tell me they're trying to be all positive discrimination "lets not offend the ethnic minorities because we want their brains"........smjgnk urhnepigtwansirjw87e464ij6n4wte-09ejrnqjkenfoeti4hb3kmivohrugbnslkdmnipg

ahem
Reply 6
priya
really!? ugh, don't tell me they're trying to be all positive discrimination "lets not offend the ethnic minorities because we want their brains"........smjgnk urhnepigtwansirjw87e464ij6n4wte-09ejrnqjkenfoeti4hb3kmivohrugbnslkdmnipg ahem

Dunno? I don't think it has ever been a problem as long as you applied in advanced. I wonder if they are just trying to deter some of the fools who try to get into graduation with the wackiest dress possible just for a laugh? I think there were one or two clowns around last year :rolleyes:
Reply 7
http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=alison+cole&hl=en&lr=
If you look at the second row, second picture in (the link is dead) you can see a woman who I think was at my college who graduated in 2002 and she wore traditional maori dress.
Reply 8
My school forbids english football T-shirts or scarves. French football wear is fully permitted. So this news feels a little "drop in the ocean"-ish
Reply 9
Funny, Lucy Cavendish were trying to assert that their students (all women, I hasten to add!) couldn't wear trousers to graduation and there was nowhere near as big an uproar. :rolleyes:
Reply 10
It's not rascist if they ban clothing from all nationalities, since there is no differentiaition between people because of their nationality.

I wish there was some form of English national dress as distinctive as the kilt though (not that I'm particularly keen to go round wearing a skirt :p: )
Reply 11
Morris dancer possibly? :p:
Reply 12
Mop
Morris dancer possibly? :p:

Hmm... people might object if you went to Graduation with bells and swords and the like :rolleyes:
PhilipGarsed
It's not rascist if they ban clothing from all nationalities, since there is no differentiaition between people because of their nationality.

I wish there was some form of English national dress as distinctive as the kilt though (not that I'm particularly keen to go round wearing a skirt :p: )

Kilts are cool.
Reply 14
TakemetoAvalon
Kilts are cool.

All that breeze....refreshing
Reply 15
completely OT, but where did you get your green smiley from visesh?!
Reply 16
priya
completely OT, but where did you get your green smiley from visesh?!

umm there is a thread in the subs forum that blissy started about smilies and IMG tags for subs...

will get you a link in a sec

http://www.smilies-world.de
Reply 17
very prompt reply! you must be as bored as me...
Reply 18
priya
very prompt reply! you must be as bored as me...

yea...i am trying to sleep though! haven't had any for over 38 hours...
Reply 19
You sign at matriculation to say you're becoming a member of the university.

I don't see anyone complaining that their school banned/bans them from wearing kilts cos there's a uniform.

Latest

Trending

Trending