The Student Room Group
Reply 1
|x - 1| > 6x - 1
<=> (x >= 1 and |x - 1| > 6x - 1) or (x < 1 and |x - 1| > 6x - 1)
<=> (x >= 1 and x - 1 > 6x - 1) or (x < 1 and 1 - x > 6x - 1)
<=> (x >= 1 and 5x < 0) or (x < 1 and 7x < 2)
<=> (x < 1 and 7x < 2)
<=> x < 2/7
Reply 2
Phil23
hi!

got a question i'm a bit puzzled on:

find set of values for which |x-1| > 6x-1

i did it in two mins and got 0<x<3.5

i'm not sure whether this is true, because its worth 5 marks!

help!

PK

|x-1| > 6x-1
You can first solve |x-1| = 6x-1 to find critical values of x.
If (x-1)>0 (x>1). x-1=6x-1. x=0. But x>1 and so this is not a critical value of x.
If (x-1)<0 (x<1). 1-x=6x-1. 2=7x, x=2/7 which is a critical value of x.
Check in the intervals a (2/7) b
The inequality is fulfilled for a and not for b.
Hence x<2/7.
Reply 3
dont really folow where you gys got that from.

i solved:

x-1 > 6x - 1

and

-x +1 > 6x - 1, and combiined the inequalities... could you explain your method, please.

Phil
Reply 4
Phil23
dont really folow where you gys got that from.

i solved:

x-1 > 6x - 1

and

-x +1 > 6x - 1, and combiined the inequalities... could you explain your method, please.

Phil

Let x >= 1. My graph suggests that |x - 1| <= 6x - 1. To prove this observation, we use the fact that |x - 1| = x - 1. The inequality |x - 1| <= 6x - 1 is equivalent to x - 1 <= 6x - 1, which is equivalent to 5x >= 0, which is true! (Saying that two inequalities are equivalent means that they are either both true or both false.)

So |x - 1| <= 6x - 1 for all x >= 1.

--

Hence we need only consider what happens under the assumption that x < 1. Then |x - 1| = 1 - x. The inequality |x - 1| > 6x - 1 is equivalent to 1 - x > 6x - 1, which is equivalent to 2 > 7x, which is equivalent to x < 2/7.

So

|x - 1| <= 6x - 1 for all x with 2/7 <= x < 1
|x - 1| > 6x - 1 for all x < 2/7

--

Putting things together,

|x - 1| <= 6x - 1 for all x >= 2/7
Reply 5
Jonny W
Let x >= 1. My graph suggests that |x - 1| <= 6x - 1. To prove this observation, we use the fact that |x - 1| = x - 1. The inequality |x - 1| <= 6x - 1 is equivalent to x - 1 <= 6x - 1, which is equivalent to 5x >= 0, which is true! (Saying that two inequalities are equivalent means that they are either both true or both false.)

So |x - 1| <= 6x - 1 for all x >= 1.

--

Hence we need only consider what happens under the assumption that x < 1. Then |x - 1| = 1 - x. The inequality |x - 1| > 6x - 1 is equivalent to 1 - x > 6x - 1, which is equivalent to 2 > 7x, which is equivalent to x < 2/7.

So

|x - 1| <= 6x - 1 for all x with 2/7 <= x < 1

--

Putting things together,

|x - 1| <= 6x - 1 for all x >= 2/7

sorry mate...thanks for your help, but that is well confusing...dno't know where you got all that from...i've been taught another way...think i'll stick to that.

cheers

Phil
Reply 6
Phil23
sorry mate...thanks for your help, but that is well confusing...dno't know where you got all that from...i've been taught another way...think i'll stick to that.

cheers

Phil

Is that prudent given you got the wrong answer the "other way"?

if you solve

x-1 > 6x-1

to get 0 > 5x and 0 > x

that's all on the assumption that |x-1|=x-1 i.e that x>=1

There are no x's such that x>=1 and x<0

If you solve 1-x > 6x-1 simultaneously with x <= 1 then you get

x < 2/7 and x <=1 and so get x < 2/7.
Reply 7
Phil23

cheers

Phil

If you don't like the method the other user showed above then why not just solve the equation as an equality and then check in each interval to see which inequality applies?
Reply 8
Gaz031
If you don't like the method the other user showed above then why not just solve the equation as an equality and then check in each interval to see which inequality applies?

|x-1| >6x-1,

cant i just split it into two parts, taking into consideration the following equations:

x-1>6x - 1 and
-x+1 > 6x-1

made a mistake earlier...i now get X>0 and X<(2/7), i see the solution from the graph, but i would i reject the X>0 inequality....any mathematical explanation guys?

and solve these two and combine the solutions...that is what i was taught in school, and i don't really follow the working out you guys have done...never seen anything like it to be honest, and dont really follow the mathematical logic in your arguments...my school is weird

pk
Reply 9
Phil23
i now get X>0 and X<(2/7)

That should be "x < 0 and x < 2/7".

Intersect the sets x < 0 and x >= 1, giving the empty set. Then intersect the sets x < 2/7 and x < 1, giving x < 2/7.

Finally take the union of the two intersections (the empty set and x < 2/7), giving x < 2/7.
Reply 10
i don't really follow the working out you guys have done...never seen anything like it to be honest, and dont really follow the mathematical logic in your arguments...my school is weird

If solving the equality first you're just finding where the roots and hence changes of sign are, these are the critical values which is where the value of x changes from being fulfilled to not being fulfilled.

Latest