The Student Room Group

What is the largest library fine you have ever recieved?

Ok, in the last 2 weeks I have managed to get £7.50 in library fines.

1) I took 3 books back, mistakenly I believed I had took 4 but the other was in the back of my car. I didn't realise for 1 week.

2) I have reserved a book continuously for the last 5 weeks to help with my assignment. I thought I could reserve it for a 6th week and take it to London with me. I took it to London with me but when I went on the internet to renew the loan, another student had reserved it and I was unable to take it back.

What is the largest fines that you have accumulated?

Scroll to see replies

About £40, but I have no intention of paying it. People who recall books that have been on loan for less than a week are *********.
£10
Reply 3
Fiver...Still got it...Don't really take out books anymore so i'll probably never pay it back.

Well it's more like £5.38...
£65...and I have to pay it or they won't let me have any books out.
Reply 5
EdwardCurrent
About £40, but I have no intention of paying it. People who recall books that have been on loan for less than a week are *********.

If you're at uni, then I think you HAVE to pay your fines back before they let you graduate. Also, conversely, people who take books out of the library with no real need are very, very annoying.
ssk2
If you're at uni, then I think you HAVE to pay your fines back before they let you graduate. Also, conversely, people who take books out of the library with no real need are very, very annoying.

Converse to what? I'm not some poxy arts student who needs to photocopy a few pages; if I take a book out then its usually a decent sized volume and is going to take more than a week to digest. In every instance I've taken books out they have been recalled within a matter of days. It's a ******* joke.
Reply 7
EdwardCurrent
Converse to what? I'm not some poxy arts student who needs to photocopy a few pages; if I take a book out then its usually a decent sized volume and is going to take more than a week to digest. In every instance I've taken books out they have been recalled within a matter of days. It's a ******* joke.

Why should you have a monopoly on books? There's always going to be a limited number of key texts, its your responsibility to get the material down as quickly as possible. How would you feel if someone else hogged a core text for over a week, just sitting on it? Oh and speaking as an arts student, we'll do a LOT more reading that most; we have 4 contact hours and about 30 hours of outside reading...
Reply 8
About £3, but that was fines being 1p a day.

Yeah, I'm really bad at returning books.
Reply 9
£24 for completely forgetting a video for one day - recorded off the TV and it hadn't been requested by anyone else - fined at £1 an hour. It made me feel sick I can tell you.
Reply 10
EdwardCurrent

What do you mean you're not some poxy arts student who needed to photocopy a few pages? Are you suggesting that arts students don't need access to books? I would have thought they needed access more than students in other areas - particularly in the sciences where students seem to be spoon-fed most of the information they need and aren't really required to think for themselves.
Reply 11
£7
Reply 12
i heard of someone who owed £14,000 in unpaid library fines, because she was over due with several short loan books by a year and a half!
sax gal
i heard of someone who owed £14,000 in unpaid library fines, because she was over due with several short loan books by a year and a half!

I think I would have a heart attack if I owed that!:eek:
Reply 14
£16ish? But that's at one time - this term I have accumulated something like £40-£50 in fines, largely because of three-day loans which are fined at a pound a day. So easy to forget :frown:

P.S. Arts students need to do SO much more reading than scientists - don't be a ****.
I have a Famous Five book from a library in West Sussex that I didn't take back. The date stamped is August 1995. I'd assume I owe them a fair bit.
you have to bring back books to the library??? :s-smilie: shizzle!
Reply 17
50p... or some thing along them lines, because i put the book in the returns box on the return day (not even late in the day either) and it was classified late returned
Reply 18
£0

I'm boring :p:
Reply 19
I have a book from last year.... beginning of last year... so I assume I owe them quite a bit... might take it back tomorrow... and then run :redface:

Thank god for computerised returns system so I don't actually have to face anyone!!! :s-smilie:

Quick Reply