The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
yea i think everybody undertakes basic training, including weapon handling
Reply 2
All military personnel are trained with weapons. But, in the interests of safety, Naval officers are rarely issued with ammunition.
Reply 3
They're also trained to wear black boilersuits and abseil onto balconies...

Andy1973
All military personnel are trained with weapons. But, in the interests of safety, Naval officers are rarely issued with ammunition.
:rofl:
Yep for the RAF, they do a rotation of guard duty which involves holding a rifle all night :biggrin:
Reply 5
kiss_me_now9
Yep for the RAF, they do a rotation of guard duty which involves holding a rifle all night :biggrin:
When was the last time you saw an RAF officer up at night :tongue:
Reply 6
Cheers guys, I guessed that was probably the case but wanted to make sure :tongue:.

Renal
They're also trained to wear black boilersuits and abseil onto balconies...

And how to wear a DJ and sip martinis whilst introducing yourself with your surname first it seems according to what I've been watching (which I assume are factual accounts, they are about some Naval officer called "James Bond" I think).

Renal

She never said they had to be awake, just that they had to hold a rifle all night :awesome:
Reply 7
I'm pretty sure even Padres, Doctors and Dentists have to be proficient with an L85. Far as I'm aware every single person in all 3 services has to pass the weapon handling test every year as part of CCS.
Reply 8
Mithra
She never said they had to be awake, just that they had to hold a rifle all night :awesome:

Not bloody likely.
Reply 9
Wzz
Not bloody likely.

Hah, yeah I know you do have to be awake all the time you are on guard duty :tongue:.
Reply 10
Mithra
Hah, yeah I know you do have to be awake all the time you are on guard duty :tongue:.

No, I mean not bloody likely you'll find an officer doing guard duty.
Reply 11
Wzz
No, I mean not bloody likely you'll find an officer doing guard duty.

Hah, ok :biggrin:
Renal
When was the last time you saw an RAF officer up at night :p:

Lol, is this a good time to point out that my Dad (who's in the RAF.. Erm, Flt Sergeant? :o:) is now conked out on sofa and has been snoring for the last half hour... :p:
kiss_me_now9
Lol, is this a good time to point out that my Dad (who's in the RAF.. Erm, Flt Sergeant? :o:) is now conked out on sofa and has been snoring for the last half hour... :p:

I hope he didn't wake up the neighours :tongue:
Reply 14
Renal

When the bloody orderly officer phone rings at 2am because some muppet has left his room keys at home!
Reply 15
Mithra
Title is fairly self-explanatory really. I was just wondering whether naval officers (and I suppose RAF too) are trained in the use of handheld weapons? As although it would be useless most of the time there could also be times where it would be very necessary :tongue:.

Yes, all ranks are trained on the L85 and then further training is given based on your job. i.e. Aircrew get the peashooter or similar and there are LSW, carbine and UGL versions of the L85.
Reply 16
Schleigg
Aircrew get the peashooter or similar
Reply 17
Renal

Is that an officer? /pointed question
Reply 18
Schleigg
Is that an officer? /pointed question
'Tis aircrew...

(Admittedly, there aren't many officer ALMs at Odi, but there certainly were more than one...)
Reply 19
I'm sure you do get NCA getting commissioned, whether or not they remain in-branch isn't the point of the original post.

Latest