The Student Room Group

Gap years, A* grades, and Medicine offers/requirments

Hey people,

Im currently in year 13, about to finish my A2s, Im fairly confident I will get AAAA/B, but I am taking a gap year in which I will study another subject and do something else, and Im applying for medicine in September. To my understanding, A* grades for A2 subjects are being introduced for those that are completing their A2s in 2010. Is this gonna put us 2009/2010 gappies in an awkward position when applying? I saw that some universities are already specifying A* grades as an entry requirement for some courses.
Reply 1
I have been thinking about this recently too, in the even that I may have to re-apply.
There isn't much we can do about it- we weren't given the opportunity to get A* grades. I don't think it is very likely that many medical schools will include A*s in entry requirements next year, especially considering most are AAB anyway. What might happen is an increase in the number of schools asking for your UMS (Cambridge style-ee) but I think as long as you have at least AAB there shouldn't be a problem.
Good luck with your application :smile:
Reply 2
jules9000
Hey people,

Im currently in year 13, about to finish my A2s, Im fairly confident I will get AAAA/B, but I am taking a gap year in which I will study another subject and do something else, and Im applying for medicine in September. To my understanding, A* grades for A2 subjects are being introduced for those that are completing their A2s in 2010. Is this gonna put us 2009/2010 gappies in an awkward position when applying? I saw that some universities are already specifying A* grades as an entry requirement for some courses.

:eek: which ones are these??
Reply 3
shriya
:eek: which ones are these??

UCL have announced some, check that section of the forum.
Reply 4
jules9000
I saw that some universities are already specifying A* grades as an entry requirement for some courses.

Can you show me any of this?
Reply 5
Kelly^2
UCL have announced some, check that section of the forum.

i will have a look:smile:
Reply 6
UCL has already started with A* requirements. But I do not understand why gappies have to worry about it. You can clearly send your final UMS numbers to Univ. If it is more then 90 = it means A* even if your grade is A (old method).
Reply 7
For an A* do you just need an average of 90% in UMS? Are there no other requirements such as a minimum UMS for each module?
Reply 8
trektor
For an A* do you just need an average of 90% in UMS? Are there no other requirements such as a minimum UMS for each module?

You need minimum 80 for As module and 90 for A2 modules in avg.
Reply 9
rnshan
UCL has already started with A* requirements. But I do not understand why gappies have to worry about it. You can clearly send your final UMS numbers to Univ. If it is more then 90 = it means A* even if your grade is A (old method).

Yes, but the A* is on a new syllabus, which is apparently going to include some AEA type questions (I hear, not gospel), therefore the two are not comparable.
Reply 10
Degausser
Yes, but the A* is on a new syllabus, which is apparently going to include some AEA type questions (I hear, not gospel), therefore the two are not comparable.

I am really not sure of this. It does not appear to be so far. But who knows we have yet to see the final exams questions.:frown:
i think you have to get above a certain % in each of your A2 modules to qualify for the A* grades as well; so no the old trick - getting 100% in AS modules and getting C's in A2, and still able to pull off an A

Latest

Trending

Trending