The Student Room Group

Changing Course?

Hiya...I've posted a thread a bit like this about the financial implications of changing a course, but now I think I need some practical advice!

Im currently studying Philosophy, Theology and Religious studies at Leeds Uni. Im in my first year but after a few weeks of real hard thinking...I know in my heart i really want to be a mental health nurse. My life the past couple of years has been on a "survival" means, and I havent really had the opportunity to think it through before (i know this sounds daft). So, in september i really want to change my course to Mental Health nursing.

Anyway, Leeds uni only offer an Advance diploma in mental health nursing, whereas Leeds metropolitan offers a full blown degree. Now, would it be easier (if even possible) to stick with Leeds uni and get the AD, or, is it possible for me to change to the Met in september, despite this not being as highly regarded a university?

Basically, is it better to have an AD at leeds uni, or a degree at the Met? And is it even possible to change so drastically?

Sorry about the rant but i feel like im having a mid life crisis at 19!! lol

Reply 1
davey jones
i just wrote a reply and lost it.

to be honest mate, the adv dip/degree thing doesn't make a blind bit of difference. if you do the adv dip you will end up doing degree top up, but 500squid a month is a hell of a lot better than a loan. employability wise it is all the same, although having recently qualified i think the uni of leeds was deffo more employable than hudds and bradford, dunno about leeds met.

i will also say that the quality of tuition at leeds uni is excellent, as is the research, senior staff, student support and availability of academic support. the library is excellent and the skills labs are good.

make an appointment at the school of healthcare to speak to maybe one of the senior mental health tutors or the sub dean for students. i would if i were you, and get the ucas application in.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Do I only have to fill in a UCAS application if I'm changing Uni, or do I have to do it either way?

Ta
do the advanced diploma , by the time having a degree is relevant you'll have topped up anyway / be having to demonstrate current study, done SLIP and post basic courses

and diploma funding if a different pot to degree funding

Latest