The Student Room Group

Average GCSE grades

I'm desperate to get into LSE to study either BSc Accounting and Finance or BSc Management, but I have achieved average MYP grades (the equivalent of GCSE grades). On the other hand my IB predicted grades are top notch. I have also written an excellent personal statement, which I have edited a thousand times. On top of that my UCAS referee has written a thorough academic reference.

The two courses which I've stated at LSE are very competitive, and I'm afraid my average MYP grades could harm my chances of my application being successful. Could I have your views/opinions on this?
Reply 1
i applied to LSE FOR ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE but didnt hear from them as till now... ( applied in end december) my gcse grades were mediocre ( 6A* and 1 A) i have 2 alevel A grades and am predicted 2 As for my final two alevels in june 2009. ... you are rigth about the competition... the first thing is that alevels/ib is more important than gcses.. the second is that your ps has to be extraoridinary to make you stand out from others... by the way when did you apply to lse? i mean these people sure take a lot of time in deciding( which is quite annoying)
Reply 2
does anyone know about the exemptions you get from a bsc in accounting and finance from lse for your professional qualifications like the icaew ,acca etc?
What do you mean mediocre? 6A* and an A is pretty awesome.
The ACCA exemptions you get if you study BSc Accounting and Finance from LSE are:

F1 Paper - Accountant in Business
F2 Paper - Management Accounting
F3 Paper - Financial Accounting
F4 Paper - Corporate and Business Law
Reply 5
hey thanks... umm can you tell me about the total number of acca papers as well thanks and good luck with your application hope you get into lse!
Reply 6
Im going to stick out my neck and say that the most important thing by quite a way is predicted A-Levels and obtained if certificated when you apply.

I got 2* 7A 1C which i was pretty happy with but i could have done better if id have put more effort in. Now at a-level im doing subject i enjoy and im motivated to get into a good university to study another subject i enjoy. As a result im now predicted 4A at A-Level in Maths, Biology, Economics and General Studies and im on target to achieve them... just! :P

Ive managed to get accepted for the following Bath, Manchester, Leeds, Aston and Newcastle for marketing/management courses. My personal statement was as good as i could get it and i though it was pretty decent (not meaning to sound too arrogant :s-smilie:).

So as i say work hard for the a-levels, work hard on your personal statement and let the rest sort itself out. The only reason top courses sometimes look at GCSEs is to differentiate between candidates who could not be seperated which is why they are very important for Oxbridge for example because most students are getting 3-5 As at A-Level.

Hope that helps and remeber you have 5 choices so you can afford to apply to at least one thats slightly optimistic :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending