The Student Room Group

Pubs that promote 'Challenge 21' but then reject PASS-approved cards

Being a non-driver, the ID which I always carry is a Citizencard; a subsidiary of the PASS scheme. Normally this works fine, but within the past few months there have been two seperate incidences where a self-important barman has refused to accept the card as valid proof-of-age.

Normally, I wouldn't have a huge problem with this; the card looks fake and is probably quite easy to replicate or forge. However, in both establishments, there has been one of those red/orange posters that advertise the Challenge 21 policy. It claims valid IDs as passports, driving licenses or PASS-approved cards.

So where do I stand? On both occasions, I have kicked up a minor fuss, suggesting they take down the poster if they refuse to accept a PASS card. On both occasions I have been fobbed off with a "these cards are too easy to forge" and "new posters haven't arrived yet" answer. It's been weeks since both occasions, and they still haven't taken the posters down. I now take my passport to these bars, but I'm annoyed at the whole issue. Am I within my rights to demand it is accepted as proof? Alternatively, is their advertisement (but subsequent rejection) of PASS cards false-advertising (or something similar)?
Reply 1
im only allowed to accept driving/passports, so go figure. :s-smilie:
Reply 2
i hate it when you get ID'd on the door, then go to the bar and get ID'd again! then go up for another drink and get ID'd again! sometimes by the same person.
I think they are pretty much allowed to do whatever they want. They have the right to refuse to serve you, just as they have the right to kick you out.

PASS ID hasn't been approved in pretty much every pub/club in my area in years. I'm a little suprised people still buy them really.
Personally, I think you are best off just accepting that you have to do something about it and just get a provisional or use your passport.

I know a few places that are only operating passport only at the moment, in the fear they will get in trouble for admitting people with fakes underage.
Reply 4
I'm pretty sure they don't have to serve you if they don't want to.
You do however have the right to, and are expected to, report the establishment (with a date and time of the incident) to whomever you got the card from, and the company you got the card from will investigate why you were rejected.
Reply 5
playingcards
Am I within my rights to demand it is accepted as proof?

No, of course not.

Alternatively, is their advertisement (but subsequent rejection) of PASS cards false-advertising (or something similar)?

No.
Reply 6
Why don't you just get a provisional driving lisence? I cannot understand why you wouldn't
NW86
Why don't you just get a provisional driving license? I cannot understand why you wouldn't

There easy to forge apparently, I think, I cant say for sure I don't work on checkouts, but at work have to refuse Provisionals, apparently, god knows why.
you can just use your mate are a referee and you can get a citizen card saying your 18 years old when your really 15
Reply 9
Untitled258
There easy to forge apparently, I think, I cant say for sure I don't work on checkouts, but at work have to refuse Provisionals, apparently, god knows why.

really? I'm shocked. Well there you go. I guess the OP should grow a beard and not look like a child then:smile:
Reply 10
Untitled258

That's a joke. I can understand the mickey mouse citizen cards getting rejected, but not Provisional driving licences.
Mad Vlad
That's a joke. I can understand the mickey mouse citizen cards getting rejected, but not Provisional driving licences.

Yeah, i was kicking up a fuss about it, i dont know if its actually being enforced though, this is what we was told a few weeks ago, most people have probably forgot about it.
Reply 12
Untitled258

We can accept provisionals at Tesco.

Which supermarket do you work for?
Reply 13
If I don't have a driving licence or anything of the sort and don't want to take my passport out, are national ID cards from other countries accepted?
(Don't live in UK... going there in April)
Nick_000
We can accept provisionals at Tesco.

Which supermarket do you work for?

Sainsburys, seems to be a few people moaning about it on forums and stuff..

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=958540

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/YOURIDEAS/forums/ShowThread.aspx?PostID=8211
equinox3o0o
you can just use your mate are a referee and you can get a citizen card saying your 18 years old when your really 15

You really, really can't. Have you actually looked into getting a citizencard?
Untitled258

Jeebus, where? I've never had mine rejected, and I have been IDed many, many places.
Been happening to me for over a year, and the posters in the establishments are still up.

I use my passport now.
Reply 18

Sainsburys workers and store managers generally have a large lump of excrement located within the cranium where one might normally expect to find grey matter.
Yesterday evening a waitress refused to serve my friend. Turns out she thought "Challenge 21" meant "the legal drinking age is 21".

Latest

Trending

Trending