The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
sulpicia
The beauty and majesty of human life, I know it doesn't negate the savage brutality of her step-father's actions - and most medical opinion suggests that the children could have been delivered while viablew through Caesarian.

They were not "children". They were "potential children".

There is a HUGE difference.
Reply 41
Tufts
They were not "children". They were "potential children".

There is a HUGE difference.

I find the distinction intellectually unsound.
Well, yes, I can. Abortion is against the fundamental principles of the Catholic Church, you can't blame them for doing this, it'd be a bit hypocritical if they didn't.
Tufts
So would you have forced that 9 year old child to give birth to the twins of her abusive stepfather?? That is WAY more sick than sucking out a few cells.

Please. This argument can be fought and won without the need to sanitise abortion. There are times and place for that sort of argument, but not here.

The issue here is that the church demonstrated once again that they side with the powerful against the powerless. It says to people that the Roman Catholic Church would rather judge you than help you - that religious dogma is more important to them than the health and wellbeing of their congregation.
sulpicia
I find the distinction intellectually unsound.

Do you find the suggestion that a 6 year old is nlot an adult but a potential adult intellectually unsound?
Reply 45
And my mother wonders why I ******* despise the Catholic Church.

They think it’s acceptable to allow the pregnancy of a 9 year old to continue even though it is very likely to affect her massively physically and mentally. Mercy? Compassion? HA. The poor girl and her family are probably devastated enough without being excommunicated; how very comforting to have God and his 'shepherds' abandon them in their hour of need and now have to face the prospect of burning in hell for eternity. (Which as excommunicated Catholics, they'll probably believe they will).
Reply 46
I thought the Church was out of order,because my understanding was that they allowed abortion only when the mothers life was in danger or when in the case of rape. Surely those two conditions have been satisfied here.... :confused:

When did the Catholic Church change its stance to abortion is an absolute wrong and evil in all circumstances?
Reply 47
Look atheists have no rigth to take about the Catholic Church in this manner. Look at the ten commandments and tell me were they have went wrong? "Thou shall not kill" Ring any bells

DING A LING A LING

HELLLO
Arka
I thought the Church was out of order,because my understanding was that they allowed abortion only when the mothers life was in danger or when in the case of rape. Surely those two conditions have been satisfied here.... :confused:

When did the Catholic Church change its stance to abortion is absolute wrong and evil in all circumstances?

The catholic church doesn't allow abortion in the case of rape.

Apparently they do allow it if the mothers life is in danger, but as this case shows, their definition of life being in danger is very diffferent to that of doctors.
Reply 49
Bismarck
The irony is, as far as I could tell, the rapist hasn't been excommunicated.

He should have his balls battered with a meat tenderizer in a public square then disposed of
Reply 50
Sadly the church hasn't grasped yet that we are no longer living in the 15th century and that as the world changes so must religion.
Reply 51
AdamWalsh
Look atheists have no rigth to take about the Catholic Church in this manner. Look at the ten commandments and tell me were they have went wrong? "Thou shall not kill" Ring any bells

DING A LING A LING

HELLLO

So what are you saying-that soldiers who go into war should be excommunicated from the church?
Reply 52
aimzdy
Sadly the church hasn't grasped yet that we are no longer living in the 15th century and that as the world changes so must religion.

This wins the 'Dumbest Post of the Week' award.
Reply 53
AdamWalsh

DING A LING A LING

HELLLO

'Thou shalt not kill' is an incorrect translation. It is actually 'Thou shalt not murder'

Killing is vastly different to murder.
Reply 54
Phonicsdude
Do you find the suggestion that a 6 year old is nlot an adult but a potential adult intellectually unsound?

No I just find the suggestion that a human life 7 months after conception is simply an 'aggregation of cells' without any rights and a human life of 10 months after conception has full human rights laughable.
aimzdy

Ha, ha, ha!
Reply 56
i've been brought up catholic but ever since secondary school it doesnt make sense
the more you learn the more they contradict themselves. also i was at a wedding yesterday & being in mass is actually like everyones been brainwashed! all saying the same things etc.
i dont like religion
Reply 57
I accept completely that

a 6 year old is not an adult but a potential adult.

Perhaps a more rational solution would to have a sliding scale of rights with a child only being regarded as a full human being at the age of say 5.
Reply 58
strawberrywine_
Ha, ha, ha!

How do you reconcile your belief in Islam with a belief in Communism. Fairly obvious conflict there!
teeeny
i've been brought up catholic but ever since secondary school it doesnt make sense
the more you learn the more they contradict themselves. also i was at a wedding yesterday & being in mass is actually like everyones been brainwashed! all saying the same things etc.
i dont like religion

Oh dear, you clearly have no real concept of religion then. I'm an atheist because I've actually studied the main religions and came to my own conclusions about the fact that I prefer secularism. As for your point about "saying the same things" it's called communal worship, y'know; singing, praising, praying? Yes?

Latest

Trending

Trending