The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Meus
Look, if you feel I have a Taliban poster on my bedroom wall I could care less, I'm not going to sit here and give this the decency of responding to it further. The Taliban are well known to have a poor record of their treatment of women, what I won't state is that every Taliban district or tribe inherently believed and practised that a woman can not learn to read or write simply because of her gender just like how I wouldn't state that every German officer in Nazi Germany was a Nazi himself.

America didn't invade because the Taliban mistreated the afghans, America invaded because they wouldn't fight al qaeda. America used the mistreatment of afghans to justify the war.
Isn't this what is needed?
Reply 42
Meus
Regardless of the implementation of my sentence structure, you now know what I meant don't you?

Considering your statement that "I don't think that you can call the Taliban a terrorist organisation", I actually thought you were denying the implementation of the policy.
Reply 43
Meus
So, in honest terms, it doesn't matter if they were good or bad. If you want them to fight your proxy war, then it especially doesn't matter. If you want to bomb them, then it matters. So their moral code is irrelevant.

Yeah, of course, tell me one war that HAS been justified.
Reply 44
Snookercraze

Bateman
Yeah, of course, tell me one war that HAS been justified.

WW2.
Reply 46
Snookercraze

It's what is needed for America; that is, to talk with the taliban, and get them to fight terrorists who attack american interests, but it isn't in the interest of the afghans, no.
Reply 47
Snookercraze
WW2.

So germany was justified to invade her neighbours?
Bateman
It's what is needed for America; that is, to talk with the taliban, and get them to fight terrorists who attack american interests, but it isn't in the interest of the afghans, no.

Whatever brings peace.
Folderol

Do you mean read the OP? I certainly did.
Reply 50
Meus
So, in honest terms, it doesn't matter if they were good or bad. If you want them to fight your proxy war, then it especially doesn't matter. If you want to bomb them, then it matters. So their moral code is irrelevant.

You may say that US is doing it for the wrong reasons, but what ultimately matters here is that the Taliban got exactly what they deserved, so there's no point in opposing the war. The world will be a better place without them.
Bateman
So germany was justified to invade her neighbours?

That was a cause of WW2... without WW2, Hitler and the Nazis would have looked to capture more of Europe.
Reply 52
Snookercraze
Do you mean read the OP? I certainly did.

No, I mean read the thread - as the picture said. There has been a lengthy discussion in this thread and after 3 pages for you to say "Isn't that what is needed" is not prudent.
Folderol
No, I mean read the thread - as the picture said. There has been a lengthy discussion in this thread and after 3 pages for you to say "Isn't that what is needed" is not prudent.

I couldn't be bothered to do that.
Reply 54
borismor
Like I always say - US doesn't need an excuse to fight tyranny, it only needs motivation. Taliban were always bad, it just wasn't always in US's interest to do something about it.

It still doesn't change the fact that US has every right to eliminate the Taliban.

Why :confused: I could say the Bush administration was doing bad stuff in IRAQ so now I'm allowed to kill every american soldier
Afghanistan would be a democratic country if it wasn't for the USA !! (URSS didn't help either)
I do not think war is the way forward in Afghanistan. There is no way of getting rid of all the Taliban without bombing the whole country and killing millions of civilians.
The way forward is getting people in Afghanistan to understand the Taliban aren't nice people

Bateman
If there is an Afghan supporting the war, which killed thousands of Afghans,(folderol) then we can't really say America should never have invaded. The Taliban were bad, they needed to be destroyed, although i think America should do this by showing the Afghans that the Taliban are bad etc. instead of just killing all talibs which would just help them recruit more fighters.

:ditto:
Reply 55
If I was the Taliban I'd stick my middle finger up at Mr. Obama
Reply 56
We can never say America has looked out for "world" interests, they always look out for their own interests (like all countries TBH), in 2001, it was in their interests to invade afghanistan, they justified this invasion by saying the Taliban mistreated the afghans, (they would have invaded if the Taliban were angles) now, 8 years later, after realising they can't beat the taliban, it's in their interests to talk with the taliban to get them to fight terrorists in their country.
Reply 57
mf2004
Why :confused: I could say the Bush administration was doing bad stuff in IRAQ so now I'm allowed to kill every american soldier

You can say whatever you want, but not everything you say is automatically correct.

Afghanistan would be a democratic country if it wasn't for the USA !! (URSS didn't help either)

Yeah, in your dreams.
Reply 58
Don John
If I was the Taliban I'd stick my middle finger up at Mr. Obama

And if you were an Afghan women?
Reply 59
America is now finally asking Iran for help, the only country that can eliminate the Taliban, so i am hopeful that Afghanistan will see peace and that the Afghans will finnaly be able to get on with their lives.

Latest

Trending

Trending