The Student Room Group

I havent made a mistake have I?

Well after agonising for hours on end over my AS options I finally chose them.
I know they are in my sig but here they are anyway: Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Spanish.
I am staying at my current school for my AS Levels and so same teachers. Anyway my history teacher is convinced that I have made a massive mistake- should be taking history instead of Spanish.
My English teacher keeps telling me to take Eng Lit instead of Spanish.
My Maths teacher keeps telling me to swap physics for maths.
My Spanish teacher is so happy Im taking Spanish...
I know that this is my decision and I really did think I had made the right decision. I want to do Vet Med at Uni...
Anyway I was coping with the teachers nagging at me on a regular basis but we had a parents evening on friday and my parents are now questioning why I am taking spanish/physics.
Heres my view- I need Biology and Chemistry
Then I need Physics or Maths and I prefer Physics SO much and dont want to do 4 sciences!
And I decided to do Spanish as my 4th because I enjoy it and am fairly okay at it... (EDIT: okay maybe I was being modest- I got an A in my mock and am on target for an A*)
So yes
What do you think?
Reply 1
Do what's best for you, not for your teachers.
Reply 2
Dont rely on the opinion of your subject teachers! Pick subjects primarily on how useful they will be to you in the future/chances of getting a good grade in them, followed by subjects you will enjoy.

I would only recomend picking a language if you're good at languages and will possibly be applying for a course that involves this. (although you can always drop a subject at A2)
Reply 3
I think you should go with your decision. You've obviously thought long and hard about your options, and teachers and parents shouldnt really try to change that. I would say though that I did a language at A level and you have to be better at it than "fairly ok" to really enjoy it. Out of all my A Levels, i found French by far the hardest, and the extra work I had to do to get my grade put a lot of pressure on my performance in other subjects. But if you enjoy it and want to do it, then dont let other people try to stop you. After all, it's you life, you're got to do the next two years, and if you're happy with your subjects then dont let parents or teachers change that! :smile:
Reply 4
You obviously like Spanish, so yes do it!
And don't worry about the teacher thing, if you're good at the subjects they're MAD at you to carry it on!
Reply 5
If your a good studant teachers will always tell you to take their subjects, so ignore them and do what you really want to do.
Reply 6
In terms of your uni course, those choices sound good to me. There's no way you should do two years on courses that you aren't completely happy with, and if you think you'll enjoy what you've picked, stick to your guns.

Teachers can be very territorial with their students. When I took my GCSE options, I had my Spanish and History teachers both telling me not to choose the other subject! It just sounds like they all want you in their classes, tbh.
Decide what you want to do - don't let anyone try to change your mind. I sort of let a teacher talk me into doing History - arrgh. It wasn't too bad but I wasn't keen on it and didn't do as well as my other subjects.
Reply 8
Ignore what other people say, it's your future not theirs! You need to pick the subjects you like and are good at if you want to get good grades :smile:

My mum tried to blackmail me into taking french :frown: . . . I didn't and can honestly say I have never regretted it!
Reply 9
mammamia:0

Heres my view- I need Biology and Chemistry
Then I need Physics or Maths and I prefer Physics SO much and dont want to do 4 sciences!
And I decided to do Spanish as my 4th because I enjoy it and am fairly okay at it...

This. :smile:

If you want to apply to the Scottish Unis for vet med that require 3 sciences (and some other unis; not sure which), you need Bio, Chem + Physics/Maths. So if you prefer it, take Physics and then that leaves yor 4th choice open.

So really, the only big decision you need to make is whether to take Spanish or not, and your mind seems pretty made up. :tongue:

Don't let your teachers sway you! Stick to your gut feelings, and you can always change come results day/September.

Good luck!! :biggrin:

xx
Reply 10
Thanks for the advice guys :smile:
My mind is at ease :biggrin:
Reply 11
Just do what you want to do, and what you'll feel happy doing. I let a teacher put pressure on me to do a particular subject at AS Level, and I wasn't really too keen on it. I should've said no really. But, yeah do what you want to do and don't let anyone pressurise you into anything else :smile:

Latest