The Student Room Group
No, of course don't aim way above anywhere you're likely to get in. Aim at universities roughly of your level, maybe some higher and some lower. Do remember that you don't have to start applying until you've got your AS grades back - wait and see how they go first. And don't forget - just because the university isn't massively prestigious, doesn't mean you won't enjoy the course! The vast majority of students end up loving their uni wherever they end up; most people in my school thought they wouldn't be satisfied unless at Cambridge or Oxford, and most didn't get in but then went on to prove themselves wrong.
Reply 2
You do realise that you don't HAVE to apply right now, right?

Take some time out, do better on your A2s and reapply on a gap year.

Much better than going to a crap uni just because you feel like you HAVE to go.

That said, might as well shove in some applications for places you would like to go on the off chance they'll have you. Nothing lost by that.

The one golden rule is:

NEVER apply ANYWHERE you don't want to go.
Well, you get five choices, so you can balance things out by aiming high for two choices, low for two others, and then finding a middle-ground with your other choice.
Reply 4
lily626
i'm currentkly back in AS,(unfortunately), and need to start applying for uni very soon.
like this summer...
so with college not exactly going the way i'd hoped, do i aim way above my head and hope i can get in/ try for clearing, or do i aim lower than i'd like to and just HOPE like anything that i'll enjoy the course i get into?
i'm confused:s-smilie:

Hey, applied this year still waiting for responses... erm one thing you have to know is that it is ridiculously competitve, depending on the uni you want to go to. my grades are above the asking grades but have been rejected twice. so its really luck.
what your supposed to do is with your predicted grades pick one uni higher then your predicted, two based on your predicted then one lower then your predicted grades. Honeslty do not rely on clearing its stupid and could end up going to a uni you dont like.
Just get your predicted grades then look at uni's that want the grades your predicted and visit them see what one you like the best but def have one lower and if you really like a uni with higher asking grades dont work just put it down...you never know :biggrin:

hope this helps. just quote if theres anything else. kinda an expert on this atm :smile:
LukeatForest
Well, you get five choices, so you can balance things out by aiming high for two choices, low for two others, and then finding a middle-ground with your other choice.

I would disagree. I think two high, two middle and one low.
I don't think there's much point in putting two low - you only need one insurance, and if you're predicted AAA and they want BCC you're pretty much going to get it.
Reply 6

Latest