The Student Room Group

Supermarket Pay - Are they worth it?

Hey guys, as you may or may not know im currently working night shifts at asda and i just got another job on sundays working 6 hours doing the pay packets. And for our store heres the pay scale

GSM - General store manager - 110,000 pounds per year
Senior Day manager- 65,000 per year
Senior Night manager- 72,000 per year
Normal Night manager - 30,000

none of the above have university degrees, GSM started working there since he was 18.

Is this really justified for the work they do?, We as the normal people walking around on nights get about 8.50 per hour but our manager doesnt do anything personally i think its outrageous and its a very very low pressured job lol.

Scroll to see replies

Managing a very big store is a very big responsibility. He is responsible for customer complaints, making sure you have stock, health and safety, recruiting people, looking after staff and so on. You are responsible for stacking shelves and swiping stuff through a checkout... of course its justified that the managers get more. Though I would have expected more like 60-70k for store manager rather than 110k, but hey, if thats what he is worth thats what he is worth.
£8.50 an hour! Wow!
Reply 3
J4GGYBoss
Hey guys, as you may or may not know im currently working night shifts at asda and i just got another job on sundays working 6 hours doing the pay packets. And for our store heres the pay scale

Is this really justified for the work they do?, We as the normal people walking around on nights get about 8.50 per hour but our manager doesnt do anything personally i think its outrageous and its a very very low pressured job lol.

The manager is paid to make sure things get done, not necessarily to do things

Edit: And I'm sure he/she does a lot more than you are giving them credit for
I think they're worth it, if they're a good manager. I've had some managers who are amazing, they organise everyone really well, they sort out any problems really quickly, and they muck in and help if someone calls in sick and it's impractical for us to do all their work alone.

However, I've had some appalling ones too. So really, if they're doing their job properly then they're worth their salary. They do a lot of work behing the scenes, ensuring that the right stock comes in, people are doing their jobs properly, and that all the paper work gets done.
Reply 5
GSM. £110,000 per yr. I'm going into the wrong career.
Reply 6
surely someone cant be worth 110k, our managers dont do much trust me we the workers are highly motivated at 8.50, one night we didnt have a manager and the store got the work done just like its usually done lol.
Reply 7
Wow, didn't expect it to be that much.
Reply 8
J4GGYBoss

Delegation is a key tool in management. Just because he doesn't "do anything" doesn't mean he isn't responsible for getting things done.

I'd argue that their is a lot of pressure being responsible for the running of a whole store. Do you realise how many KPI targets they have to meet for every single department?

As for them being worth their salary, are you really worth £8.50 an hour? You're doing a low skilled job that many others could do. If you leave then you are easily replaced. Look up job elasticity. Also think about your supply and demand for the job you do. There is a high supply of people able to do your job which will outweigh the demand. The same can't be said for a good store manager who aren't easily found.
I don't think you fully understand how much work goes into managing a store. Hell, my sister is a floor manager in NEXT, and since she started the managing job she's been working so much over time, coming home stressed, fatigued and woking extremely long shifts.
Reply 10
Nick_000
Delegation is a key tool in management. Just because he doesn't "do anything" doesn't mean he isn't responsible for getting things done.

I'd argue that their is a lot of pressure being responsible for the running of a whole store. Do you realise how many KPI targets they have to meet for every single department?

As for them being worth their salary, are you really worth £8.50 an hour? You're doing a low skilled job that many others could do. If you leave then you are easily replaced. Look up job elasticity. Also think about your supply and demand for the job you do. There is a high supply of people able to do your job which will outweigh the demand. The same can't be said for a good store manager who aren't easily found.

lol, so you have an A level economics i doo too. But yes i can be replaced now GSM i think is a different story he probably does earn his wage of about 60k but not 120k. We are worth our 8.50 an hour because if you take profit margins of about 9-12% on our goods we sale and the levels we stack you get more than your 8.50 per hour. And the manager yes i know what delegation is but one of the night managers never tells us anything to do because we do it OURSELVES!! thats the point im getting at. And any job elasticity also involves the level of training involved for them to get there and the level of skill. Now for time it took one of them 3 years training whilst they was earning and the skill well from my comments for lower than GSM they have no skill set for fear.

But im not here to say there over-paid im just outraged that people go through education and get jobs like doctors, solicitors or even management graduates and start on 22-30k with high pressured enviroments. But oh well :smile:.
Reply 11
ToastyCoke
I don't think you fully understand how much work goes into managing a store. Hell, my sister is a floor manager in NEXT, and since she started the managing job she's been working so much over time, coming home stressed, fatigued and woking extremely long shifts.

i agree with the long hours but a full time job is a full time job, 40-60 hours is what you'll be doing.
J4GGYBoss
i agree with the long hours but a full time job is a full time job, 40-60 hours is what you'll be doing.

During deliveries my sister will normally work from 9-5, come home until 9, then work 9-2am, rinse and repeat. A full time job is a full time job, a full time manager job is a different ball game.
Reply 13
J4GGYBoss
lol, so you have an A level economics i doo too. But yes i can be replaced now GSM i think is a different story he probably does earn his wage of about 60k but not 120k. We are worth our 8.50 an hour because if you take profit margins of about 9-12% on our goods we sale and the levels we stack you get more than your 8.50 per hour. And the manager yes i know what delegation is but one of the night managers never tells us anything to do because we do it OURSELVES!! thats the point im getting at. And any job elasticity also involves the level of training involved for them to get there and the level of skill. Now for time it took one of them 3 years training whilst they was earning and the skill well from my comments for lower than GSM they have no skill set for fear.

But im not here to say there over-paid im just outraged that people go through education and get jobs like doctors, solicitors or even management graduates and start on 22-30k with high pressured enviroments. But oh well :smile:.

The night manager shouldn't have to constantly tell you to do things every night. The reason you do it yourselves is because of the consequences and repercussions that will happen if you don't.

I too work in a supermarket part time. My manager doesn't constantly tell me what to do. I know the role of my job and what I need to ensure is done on a day to day basis. My manager doesn't constantly remind me of this.

However, If is I fail to do my job I know for a fact my manager will have words and take the necessary steps to rectify this.

As for people starting in a higher pressure environment for less salary - They are just starting out. The Graduates of today earning £22k are the store managers of the futre.
Why do you have the view that a manager just walks around and tells people what to do?

They deal with things like discontinued lines, deminished lines, shelf order, poorly selling lines, rota, rosa, quantity of orders and hundreds of other things.

Something tells me you don't fully understand just what a manager really does in a store.
Reply 15
ToastyCoke
Why do you have the view that a manager just walks around and tells people what to do?

They deal with things like discontinued lines, deminished lines, shelf order, poorly selling lines, rota, rosa, quantity of orders and hundreds of other things.

Something tells me you don't fully understand just what a manager really does in a store.

Exactly. Not to mention the countless HRM issues they have to deal with from within their departments. The KPI targets they have to meet. The meetings with senior management to explain performance levels and many, many other things.
I think the workers should unite and slay this demon of capitalism! Ever heard of a wildcat strike?

/joke
Reply 17
J4GGYBoss
none of the above have university degrees, GSM started working there since he was 18.

Good on 'em; a degree is not the be-all and end-all of employability.

I had a mate who worked in a supermarket for a while. His store manager, I presume what you call a GSM, was quite hands-on. He was found outside, sweeping the deliveries yard. Said friend found this rather funny, but if you think about it - there's a man getting paid a pretty substantial hourly salary to do something that could be done by someone else working for a few quid an hour.

So do you really want senior (well...) management out doing things personally? I'm sure the guy in question got something out of it: found it relaxing or something like that, but from an economic point of view it's ridiculous.
Reply 18
I ran the largest department in a store I used to work in for 3 weeks.....due to the fact that ALL the managers and other supervisers went awol.

Just that was a HUGE responsibility and pressure.....I did it as a favour, wasn't paid any extra, but got credit from the Store Manager and he agreed to pay me over time....I was doing about 15 hours each day!

So yes, 110k is a lot, but worth it. Our department alone turned over in the region of £800k a week, before profit, on an average week, not accounting for increases for seasonal sales.
Reply 19
Aack
Our department alone turned over in the region of £800k a week, before profit, on an average week, not accounting for increases for seasonal sales.

What do you mean 'turn over before profit'?

And an 'average week' would take into consideration all seasons - it's the average throughout the year.

Latest

Trending

Trending