The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

bjr16
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the graduate teacher training programme and the PGCE in you experiences??

GTP = more money but thrown in at the deep end.

PGCE = more gentle introduction but dismal lectures.
The GTP is much, much more work and more stress.

For that reason, I would recommend it. Why? Because it reflects life as a teacher much more accurately, and if you don't like it you can leave without incurring any financial loss.
Reply 3
thx for the advice
anyone got any other opinions??
Reply 4
Unless you're a Science or Maths graduate you probably won't get on a GTP if you are not a mature student or at least a couple of years out of education. I think a plus with the PGCE would be the fact that you work at two different schools so you get an experience of two different environments.
KerriT
Unless you're a Science or Maths graduate you probably won't get on a GTP if you are not a mature student or at least a couple of years out of education. I think a plus with the PGCE would be the fact that you work at two different schools so you get an experience of two different environments.

GTP requires two different schools too. This is a legal requirement.
KerriT
Unless you're a Science or Maths graduate you probably won't get on a GTP if you are not a mature student or at least a couple of years out of education.

I easily got on one at the age of 20. :s-smilie:
la fille danse
I easily got on one at the age of 20. :s-smilie:

Without meaning to hijack the thread, do you mind me asking about how you went about seeking such a placement? ie Did you write/phone/email the schools you were interested in etc and were they able to give you a decision right away, or did you have to apply, have an interview and so on? Im just a little unsure of the process.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I asked my university careers advisor and she didnt have a clue, and instead directed me towards PGCEs but id like to invetigate all my options. Thanks if you can help :smile:
timetokill
Without meaning to hijack the thread, do you mind me asking about how you went about seeking such a placement? ie Did you write/phone/email the schools you were interested in etc and were they able to give you a decision right away, or did you have to apply, have an interview and so on? Im just a little unsure of the process.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I asked my university careers advisor and she didnt have a clue, and instead directed me towards PGCEs but id like to invetigate all my options. Thanks if you can help :smile:

The provider I'm with arranges a placement for you, as do some others.
la fille danse
The provider I'm with arranges a placement for you, as do some others.

Oh right ok, thanks. I wasnt aware anywhere offered that as all the ones Ive looked up so far require you to find you own. Thank you, ill look into that now.
Reply 10
KerriT

i thought a GTP was another way of becomin a qualified teacher so therefore it would have the same entry requirements as a PGCE surely??
if not does sport science count as a science degree?? (probs a dumb question but hey needs to be asked)
Reply 11
I would take a guess that it would not for secondary, BUT I don't actually know so it may be worth waiting for another answer.
bjr16
i thought a GTP was another way of becomin a qualified teacher so therefore it would have the same entry requirements as a PGCE surely??
if not does sport science count as a science degree?? (probs a dumb question but hey needs to be asked)

Not sure if it answers your question, but when I contacted my borough about GTP they explained that on the whole GTP places were very limited and that they only had 6 places available for each academic year, which was to cover all subject areas. As such I expect that if this is the case (or more or less) nationwide, then maths and science graduates would stand a better chance at getting a place on a GTP as those subjects are in greater need of new recruits than other subjects may be.

Oh and I think the other poster meant maths/science grads who intend to teach maths or science. Not specifically that only someone with a maths/science degree would get a place on a GTP on the whole. (although I could be wrong)
Reply 13
This is interesting - I've been offered a place on a GTP and today got accepted to Southampton for a PGCE! I now need to make a decision as to which I want to accept. I'm thinking the GTP suits me better - do you really get thrown into the deep end that badly though??
Reply 14
hi

i was wondering that if you are a graduate in ict what are your chances of being acepted in a GTTP or a PGCE... becaue ive herd there isnt nuch demand for ict teachers
Reply 15
Well the government thinks ICT is a shortage PGCE subject so it should be quite easy to get on it. My friend is doing a 7-14 PGCE in ICT and she only has an A level in it.
You heard wrong cyber.

There is a serious demand for ICT teachers.

There are not enough ICT PGCE courses - most ICT teachers trained in a completely unrelated subject.
Reply 17
I think GTP is better... but I might add that I'm currently on course to start on a GTP placement from September (in Physics).

Sparkley - what subject? And you still need to be accepted at a uni for GTP, as they will be the one with the salary grant! But you have to make a choice before you go to a GTP university interview often, they don't like to interview people who have a PGCE offer in some places and require you to turn it down first. Check if this is the case where you are! Hopefully it isn't! If it is though... try to find out how likely it is you'll get the GTP place.

I'd go for GTP if you think your chances are good. If you aren't maths or science, then GTP is more money (if you are, it makes little difference). And as for being thrown in at the deep end... if you are doing a GTP, surely you have past teaching experience? That's generally a requirement for the GTP.
Reply 18
Adarah
I think GTP is better... but I might add that I'm currently on course to start on a GTP placement from September (in Physics).

Sparkley - what subject? And you still need to be accepted at a uni for GTP, as they will be the one with the salary grant! But you have to make a choice before you go to a GTP university interview often, they don't like to interview people who have a PGCE offer in some places and require you to turn it down first. Check if this is the case where you are! Hopefully it isn't! If it is though... try to find out how likely it is you'll get the GTP place.

I'd go for GTP if you think your chances are good. If you aren't maths or science, then GTP is more money (if you are, it makes little difference). And as for being thrown in at the deep end... if you are doing a GTP, surely you have past teaching experience? That's generally a requirement for the GTP.

Hey :-)

Thanks for your reply. I applied to the GTP course via an advert from a school. I've had the interview at the school and been accepted and they have forwarded my application on to the uni. So I still need to wait to hear from the uni to make sure! I had my PGCE interview on Monday and went to it just incase the GTP falls through. I was given an offer on Tuesday and have 14 days to accept it, so lets hope I hear back from the GTP uni before then!!

My subject is secondary science (Biology). I don't have any teaching experience at all, only observing lessons. I was quite surprised to get the place to be honest, especially as another lady at the interview was a teaching assistant. I had to do a small session teaching at my interview and they said I was really good so hopefully it'll all be ok!

Do you have lots of teaching experience then?
Reply 19
sparkley84
Hey :-)

Thanks for your reply. I applied to the GTP course via an advert from a school. I've had the interview at the school and been accepted and they have forwarded my application on to the uni. So I still need to wait to hear from the uni to make sure! I had my PGCE interview on Monday and went to it just incase the GTP falls through. I was given an offer on Tuesday and have 14 days to accept it, so lets hope I hear back from the GTP uni before then!!

My subject is secondary science (Biology). I don't have any teaching experience at all, only observing lessons. I was quite surprised to get the place to be honest, especially as another lady at the interview was a teaching assistant. I had to do a small session teaching at my interview and they said I was really good so hopefully it'll all be ok!

Do you have lots of teaching experience then?

Same here, I have the place at the school and they've forwarded my application on to the GTP uni. But there are only a limited number of places at the univerity (I'm applying to IoE - only 6 places going there!). It is them who'll be paying your salary next year basically, not the school!

The potention problem i was trying to highlight, is that the GTP uni might be unwilling to interview you if you have an PGCE application that you haven't turned down. I depends on the university though, some don't care!
Now obviously it's better not to go and ask your GTP uni if they care or not, in the hope they won't notice, lol, in case they do have a problem with it! So try to find out from here or TES forum if you can have a PGCE offer when you attend the GTP interview or not.
Also, just phone/email your GTP uni to ask when you might expect to hear from them, so that you know when to expect interviews (tell them you want to keep those days free and want to plan in advance).

I haven't got a PGCE place to go to if the GTP falls through - if it does, then I will apply for PGCE and hope it's not too late to apply! :woo:

I do have a teaching job in FE to go to if that fails too, and then I'll apply for PGCE the year after.

My teaching experience so far includes things like teaching kid tae kwon do (voluntary), taking care of freshers for a year in halls (volutary), one to one private tutoring (paid), physics school outreach (voluntary, teach a few lessons of physics to GCSE people) and currently I'm teaching part time in a further education college as a maths and physics visiting teacher (but currently teaching key skills). Got two classes of my own, which I'm fully responsible for. I teach them without help, which is some times annoying as the devisional manager runs around like a headless chicken and so I'm often in the dark about scheduling exams and stuff like that for them. I'm on a 5 year 'contract' there, which is sweet. Basically means that if at any time in the next 5 years I'm unemployed, I can work there.

wow, lots of info... i'm trying to avoid doing my masters project, lol. Hope some of that was useful!

Latest

Trending

Trending