The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

We should be proud of the British Empire in the places where it did good and ashamed in the places where it did bad. It is my opinion we did good in most places, but in others, not so much. We would do well to remember that the British Empire practically saved the world by its resistance to Germany in 1940.
Bagration
We should be proud of the British Empire in the places where it did good and ashamed in the places where it did bad. It is my opinion we did good in most places, but in others, not so much. We would do well to remember that the British Empire practically saved the world by its resistance to Germany in 1940.

Why? We didn't do any worse than the Spanish/French tbh. Ashamed is a bit strong, and anyway it wasn't seen as 'bad' at the time, at least not in the way it is now.
And anyway looking at our actions as 'good' and 'bad', we did far more bad then good.
Reply 22
weflycars
You obviously have no idea what your on about.. :rolleyes: there were hardly any problems between Hindus, Sikhs and Muslims, they all lived together but after the partition they split off and that's how the tensions started..

My point was that there was little trouble, the tribes all had their land sorted out.. oh and did I mention they had resources before they were raped of them all!!

pffft.. you smug wanchor..

Resources they didn’t know how to use, or that they were there. Those resources also paid the way to make Britain, and Europe, what it is today.
Reply 23
Renner
Resources they didn’t know how to use, or that they were there. Those resources also paid the way to make Britain, and Europe, what it is today.

So that gives you the right to rob them?? They could have done with them now..
Reply 24
weflycars
So that gives you the right to rob them?? They could have done with them now..

The right of conquest, you can’t steal something from your own territory.
Reply 25
how can one be proud of the British Empire after they exploited and colonized so many countries..

and what about SLAVERY??? literally destroyed Africa (with the help of French)...(didnt Britain refuse to apologies for slavery??)

just look at Africa now, still centuries behind UK...

(yes I'm aware I will be negged, but the truth has to come out)
Reply 26
Renner
The right of conquest, you can’t steal something from your own territory.

It was wrong to take it over in the first place, maybe they couldn't see that then but surely you can now??
FallenPetal
You mean a greasy chip shop and a yob taking a slash on a lampost?

errr...

Yes, because they happened during the British Empire :rolleyes:
Reply 28
weflycars
It was wrong to take it over in the first place, maybe they couldn't see that then but surely you can now??

Its not wrong in anyway, the only wrong thing we did was leave those countries which still have so much untapped wealth and many of which have now royally ****** themselves.
Reply 29
Renner
Its not wrong in anyway, the only wrong thing we did was leave those countries which still have so much untapped wealth and many of which have now royally ****** themselves.

You sir are a deranged moron.. you have no right to go in to another country, set up your cross and impose it on everyone else.. that's as good as terrorism imo..
Reply 30
Personally I never was. The people who are are usually the people who say 'We're GREAT Britain!!!' missing the fact it is actually Grande Bretagne, i.e. Greater Brittany, but I digress. I'm actually quite pro my Brigant roots, and while Cartimandua sided with the Romans, the imperial pretensions are where it all went wrong as far as I'm concerned; I think I prefer villages to towns anyway....
Reply 31
weflycars
You sir are a deranged moron.. you have no right to go in to another country, set up your cross and impose it on everyone else.. that's as good as terrorism imo..

Invading these countries made Britain rich; it improved the lives of British people. That is all I care about. Also, I have no problems with Britain ‘imposing its cross’ on other countries, when our cross is the right one.
Reply 32
OP there was this interesting debate going on whether we should actually be proud of the British Empire on the big questions. I think we should not be proud, that simply answers your question:tongue:
Liquidus Zeromus
Yes. We achieved a lot of things and conquered many lands. Military, economic, and cultural conquest is something to be proud of, not condemned as a "Bad Thing".

but isn't 'how' you achieved those things something to be ashamed of?
weflycars
Which wasn't their before the British.. all religions lived in harmony.. the Empire screwed it up, as they did in Africa too..

It was an embarrassment, nothing to be proud of..

agreed! :smile:
Reply 35
I am not proud but I am happy to recognise the achievements of the British Empire.

I don't understand how you can be proud of it - it's nearly as bad as people strutting into a pub shouting "YEAH! WE BEAT U THIS WEEK!!!" "sorry what?" " WE WON!" "won what?" "YOU KNOW THE MATCH! WE BEAT U! LOL!" "what do you mean we? were you there in person?" etc...

The British Empire achieved many things - I'm surprised the government even puts up with half the crap we have to listen to over it. Perhaps we can send the army in to remove everything that Africa benefited from its contact with Britain. Oh wait - they would be left with a few spears and a population they can't feed.

As for India - we royally screwed them over by exporting food when they were starving but at the same time there wouldn't be an India so it's a mixed bag on that front.
jen_biochem
but isn't 'how' you achieved those things something to be ashamed of?

No. Probably not something to be proud of, but nothing to be ashamed of either. We shouldn't regret things that no living generations are responsible for.
Reply 37
weflycars
Religion is a sham and generally a load of ********, take that how you want you prick..

You're also alarmingly selfish for someone so 'religious' but then again the whole thing is based on contradiction so you're a pretty fitting picture..

**** off you smug toff ****.. that is all..

I didn’t necessarily mean religion, but our views on liberty, freedom etc.

I am not selfish, just realistic. Your views are just a load of airy fairy idealistic crap. We, as in me and you, would not have the same standard of living if it hadn’t for imperialism. It is also the case that the native peoples would have a better standard of living now if we hadn’t left.

If I'm a toff your just scum
I sense a lot of jealousy of the British Empire. Britons shouldn't be forced to be ashamed of having had the most powerful empire ever in the history of the human race.
L i b
Far less terrible than most other polities. So I hardly think that's relevant. All forms of government entail some level of unfortunate things happening.

So yes, I do think we can see the British Empire as a positive thing.

Just becuase other people have done more terrible things, it does not give you the rright to do something less terrible and be proud of it.

How can it possible be a positive thing? It ruined so many lives, so many countries.......and the damage is irreversible

Latest

Trending

Trending