Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Maths and German at:

York
UCL
Durham
Exeter

Not sure where atm. :smile:
Applying for Mmath, too lazy to plead for it if i want to do it while in third year of Bsc. Applying to cambridge, warks, bath, bristol, sheffield.
I cocked up english GCSE, missed a C by about 3 marks, my HOY thinks that providing i get ~90% in maths and physics, the unis wont mind, because to be honest, unless i come up with a radical new theorum, i wont use it while on my degree, will i?
Anybody go to the cambridge open day last week? "The positron, is actually an electron, but travelling backwards in time" my new favourite quote, lol
Reply 22
I'd love to do maths and computer science at York but am unsure whether I'm good enough at maths yet... I love the subject though and I guess if I have enough passion for it, I can be good enough :p: *Hopes.*
Reply 23
Hey, I'm thinking of doing maths and philosophy, or possibly Mmath, considering applying to Oxford, St Andrews, York, Bristol, Southampton and Bath.

Joanne.
I'll be applying to do maths at university...would like to get into cambridge, otherwise would probably opt for Mmath at Bath/Bristol/York/Newcastle/University in London perhaps (either imperial or UCL)

o_____________0
I'm applying to do MMath, I wouldn't want to do anything else,

I'm thinking Warwick and Cambridge, and then Bristol, Durham, Reading and Manchester (or Bath) in no particular order.
Reply 26
I'm almost certain about applying for maths 2006 entry (may apply for Classics instead but not very likely). Thinking of applying to: Warwick, Durham, Bath, Bristol, Manchester and maybe Oxford (dunno if I'm good enough).

At AS I'm taking: Maths, ICT, Chemistry, Latin, F. Maths (taking next year), and I'm taking maths, chem and latin for A2. I may also take STEP I and II next year.
Reply 27
Im gonna be applying for maths for 2006 entry. im applying to cambridge (robinson), UCL,imperial,KCL, LSE (business maths and stats).

studying A2: physics, economics and further maths
Reply 28
Hi there, 1st post here :smile:

Anyway; with the 6 places on my UCAS form (it is 6 isn't it? My friend said it was 4) I intend to put down:

1. Cambridge Maths BSc
2. Warwick Maths BSc
3. Warwick MORSE
4. York Maths BSc
5. Loughboro Maths BSc

Not sure what to put down for my 6th choice. I'm worried though, originally I really wanted to go to Warwick, but my brother convinced me it was worth trying for Cambs anyway because sometimes they do accept people (I'm likely to get an A in maths, hope for an A in f. maths and then more than likely a B in AVCE ICT, I hope I can pull it up). Just don't think I quite cut it though. This year I've been a bit overloaded :tongue: by school being a bit crap so I've done 6 ASs, but will only do the 4 A2s. I don't know if I will get credit, but I'm having to do 3 maths modules in my spare time to make up the full F. Maths A2.

Will Warwick or York hold it against me since they're 2nd / 3rd choices? Because I was really very keen on them too, and I've only put Cambs there because I may as well have a shot! Any advice anyway? :tongue: I'm new here!
Reply 29
Dreaming
Hi there, 1st post here :smile:

Welcome to the forum.

it is 6 isn't it?

It is six.

1. Cambridge Maths BSc
2. Warwick Maths BSc
3. Warwick MORSE
4. York Maths BSc
5. Loughboro Maths BSc

I don't know very much about Loughborough but the others seem like good choices. Warwick is very nice.

Not sure what to put down for my 6th choice.

Bristol is nice :smile: ,as is Bath, UCL, LSE and ICL.

This year I've been a bit overloaded :tongue: by school being a bit crap so I've done 6 ASs, but will only do the 4 A2s. I don't know if I will get credit, but I'm having to do 3 maths modules in my spare time to make up the full F. Maths A2.

Doing 6 ASs will definitely count in your favour provided you get As/Bs in them. Self teaching further maths is good. I decided to do further maths AS+A2 this year and had 9 modules to do, but it's interesting so it doesn't seem like work anyway.

Will Warwick or York hold it against me since they're 2nd / 3rd choices?

They won't be able to hold it against you as universities don't see where else you've applied until after you make your firm/insurance decisions.

I've only put Cambs there because I may as well have a shot!

Indeed, you've got just as good a chance as most other applicants there do.

Any advice anyway?

After your AS exams you might want to do something constructive as well as enjoy yourself over the summer. You might also want to take a look at AEA/STEP past papers if thinking of applying to Cambridge/Warwick.
Reply 30
Gaz031
I don't know very much about Loughborough but the others seem like good choices. Warwick is very nice.

I live 15 mins away from Loughborough, and while it's not as academically strong it is like a backup for me because it accepts 280 point offers.

Doing 6 ASs will definitely count in your favour provided you get As/Bs in them. Self teaching further maths is good. I decided to do further maths AS+A2 this year and had 9 modules to do, but it's interesting so it doesn't seem like work anyway.

Not sure about getting As/Bs in all of them, physics is one I'll likely be dropping and so far I've got a C but I've got another exam on friday, but iI'm likely to end up with a C overall. General studies - who knows?! I've got A in maths / f. maths so far, a B if you count ASVCE ICT and hopefully depending how my exams go, a B for economics AS.

After your AS exams you might want to do something constructive as well as enjoy yourself over the summer. You might also want to take a look at AEA/STEP past papers if thinking of applying to Cambridge/Warwick.

I've recently been on a volunteering site where I've enquired about teaching maths (simple stuff) to children around primary school age, which should be great fun. I haven't had any experience, but if they let me have a go it'll help me sell myself at any interviews and in my personal statement!

Thanks for all the advice, Gaz! I'm at the stage where I've pretty much made decisions but am not sure if they're the right ones (except I've wanted to go Warwick for about a year now hehe!)
Reply 31
Not sure about getting As/Bs in all of them, physics is one I'll likely be dropping and so far I've got a C but I've got another exam on friday, but iI'm likely to end up with a C overall. General studies - who knows?! I've got A in maths / f. maths so far, a B if you count ASVCE ICT and hopefully depending how my exams go, a B for economics AS.

I didn't mean to say all of them(heck, hardly anyone does 6). Three or four good grades will put you in good stead.
General studies is just really random but you'll probably get an A or B in that provided you try to answer questions rather than go in and write stupid things because you were forced to do the subject (some people have done that in the past).

I've recently been on a volunteering site where I've enquired about teaching maths (simple stuff) to children around primary school age, which should be great fun. I haven't had any experience, but if they let me have a go it'll help me sell myself at any interviews and in my personal statement!

That sounds good. It might also be good to emphasise how you've taught yourself some things (get your teachers to put it on your reference) and if you get high marks for maths/fm tell them to put that in too.
Reply 32
If anyone's got questions about applying for maths, particularly Cambridge, I'm only too willing to give advice and help!

PM me :cool:
Reply 33
well it's a few years since I did it, but isn't Cambridge Maths a BA, not a BSc?

and the advice about having a look at some AEA/STEP papers is sound. STEP is what Cambridge will ask for so that's the standard you have to reach, but AEA is less demanding (relatively speaking) so start by finding some old AEA papers/questions on the net, have a crack at the questions to get a feel for how they differ from standard A level, and take it from there.

Good luck!!
Reply 34
davros
well it's a few years since I did it, but isn't Cambridge Maths a BA, not a BSc?

You are correct there. I have no idea what the difference is though, except I intend hopefully to do an MBA after my initial course, except in business management. I'm not 100% sure, my brother who works in business informed me that it would be better than just sticking to maths (which was the original plan, because I love maths :tongue:).

and the advice about having a look at some AEA/STEP papers is sound. STEP is what Cambridge will ask for so that's the standard you have to reach, but AEA is less demanding (relatively speaking) so start by finding some old AEA papers/questions on the net, have a crack at the questions to get a feel for how they differ from standard A level, and take it from there.

Good luck!!

Will do; although my school isn't able to teach me everything they are generally supportive so I'll just ask my teachers for STEP advice and they'll get me a load of papers!

I'm still thinking Warwick is where I want to go... but Cambridge will probably open so many doors because of the name! I went on a visit to Oxford a year or two ago and didn't enjoy it that much because it wasn't the kind of atmosphere I liked. But you never know :tongue:
Reply 35
im also thinking of doing a maths degree but i am leaning towards a joint degree.
Mathematics with comuter science is what i might go for.

THoughi may not be good enough to get into oxbridge, i might as well apply anyway.
Also considering
warwick
nottingham
leeds
birmingham
So yes, I'm looking at Maths next year, and as I'm not sure whether I want to do a 3- or 4-year course, I'll be applying for a 4 year. I'll probably keep up my Spanish on the side as well...

As for universities, these are my current thoughts:
Oxford
Bristol
Bath
Warwick
UCL or KCL
Cardiff, Soton, Exeter, Brookes, Durham, Reading, Brighton... well, let's just say those are a few options. I'll narrow them down when I have some time.

UPDATE:
Check out the sig.
i'm thinking, of doing maths at uni, apparently theres a lot of money in actuary (but i'm doing it out of the love of maths of course *nervous look*

everybody doing maths seems to have physics as well as FM

they don't do further maths at my school and i dnt do physics , i'll be at a disadvantage :frown:
Im not sure what course to do yet. Id love to do straight maths but I think I may be applying with a B in maths. I should get an A overall as I got 100% in C1 and C2 went great but i unbelievably messed up on D1 so will have to resit! Does anybody know if they look at just your grade or your modular results?
If not straight maths I would probably try maths with finance or maths with economics yet am not too sure what these courses consist of as yet or whether I would enjoy them.
Ive looked at Liverpool, Manchester and Warwick so far. Im also going to visit Durham, Oxford (St Hughs), Edinburgh and York.
Reply 39
Thought I'd start this thread up again. Anyone else planning on applying for Maths? :smile:

Latest