The Student Room Group

London Business School Masters in Management

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I think I certainly agree with you both that the course at LBS is more than just a name. Can I just ask how you went about choosing LBS over other courses at other unis? Thanks
Reply 61
Wow! This course looks amazing. How hard did you find the GMAT? What score do you think is the absolute minimum to get?!
In response to Nicko88, From what i gather having a MIM qualification will not help your empllyability a great deal - work experience is far far better. Therefore, i would only do it if you genuinely want to learn about the stuff on the programme
Reply 63
Ok Ive had it...how will someone who cant even spell employability (empllyability) be allowed to talk such nonsense. It absolutely foolhardy to say that a Masters in Management esp. when its from LBS will not increase your chances in the job market. Its clearly stated in the brochure that the course prepares graduates for entry level roles...No one said anything about higher positions e.g Associate level etc...Plus how can there be work experience without entry level roles??? The course is for ENTRY LEVEL!!!!! Analyst, Graduate Trainee, Management Trainee etc...These roles do not require work experience!!!..If they did, no one would have a job!!!..Guess what?, We have all done research, so tell the dimwitted people feeding you wrong info about the course to shut up already. Stop being so obstinate..You clearly have a bias against LBS and other top schools as someone noted earlier..You were obviously rejected or can't afford to pay for courses in such schools..Whatever the case, this is not the place to exhibit the frustrations of your unfortunate existence. I myself was rejected in CASS last year, but I dont go about saying rubbish about the school or other schools. Rather, I got my act together and guess what, I got an interview invite from LBS, an even better school, in just two days less than a year later. Or probably, you failed the GMAT, too bad!!! Just go away and get a life...and in case you're wondering, Im talking to you AFGHANISTAN BANANISTAN or whatever u call urself u half-baked nitwit!
Reply 64
well I think what AfghanistanBananistan has been saying is that employers dont care so much about the degree you take than the uni you went to, which is very true. Somebody who studied theology at oxbridge will have a greater employability than a cass business student for example. I terms of MIM at LBS, however, i think its win-win situation as the school rep will get you an interview and the degree content will help you advance your career.

And just to note you're wrong saying that graduate positions don't require any work experience as prestigious firms will all look at relevant experience you may have gained from previous internships. And I wouldnt get my head so big until you've actually been given an offer. You're still just an applicant which is not much to show off about.
Reply 65
I said work experience is not required, If you have issues with what 'required' means, you can always look it up in a dictionary. Work experience is not a necessity, Of course it could be a really great advantage, but everyone knows it isn't absolutely compulsory for graduate roles. That is exactly what I said, I never said it will not be taken into consideration when applying. If you care to know, I currently work in a Prestigious International Bank and would be daft to think this experience wouldn't count towards my future job. Im just saying it isn't compulsory!!! I do agree with you, there are probably several Oxbridge theology grads in prestigious firms..Doesen't that just prove my point that work experience isn't required? They certainly are not in those firms as a result of any 'RELEVANT' work experience or internships..Rather they are there because of certain important qualities they have been able to convince interviewers that they possess and obviously because of their grades and the class of their UNI...

Plus, Im not showing off, Im just trying to point out the fact that if u have been rejected at a UNI b4, Its no excuse to bad mouth the UNI...I will be accepted at LBS, Im certain of it and trust me ill let u know once I am. Finally, when you know the number of people who applied to LBS but didnt get interview invitations, I believe u would agree that even an interview invitation is something to be proud of..I rest my case.
Freemann
Ok Ive had it...how will someone who cant even spell employability (empllyability) be allowed to talk such nonsense. It absolutely foolhardy to say that a Masters in Management esp. when its from LBS will not increase your chances in the job market. Its clearly stated in the brochure that the course prepares graduates for entry level roles...No one said anything about higher positions e.g Associate level etc...Plus how can there be work experience without entry level roles??? The course is for ENTRY LEVEL!!!!! Analyst, Graduate Trainee, Management Trainee etc...These roles do not require work experience!!!..If they did, no one would have a job!!!..Guess what?, We have all done research, so tell the dimwitted people feeding you wrong info about the course to shut up already. Stop being so obstinate..You clearly have a bias against LBS and other top schools as someone noted earlier..You were obviously rejected or can't afford to pay for courses in such schools..Whatever the case, this is not the place to exhibit the frustrations of your unfortunate existence. I myself was rejected in CASS last year, but I dont go about saying rubbish about the school or other schools. Rather, I got my act together and guess what, I got an interview invite from LBS, an even better school, in just two days less than a year later. Or probably, you failed the GMAT, too bad!!! Just go away and get a life...and in case you're wondering, Im talking to you AFGHANISTAN BANANISTAN or whatever u call urself u half-baked nitwit!

Jesus, what is up with the harsh tone of that come back, its not needed!!! Look, the reason i can say what i have, is not becuase i have been rejected, but because i have been accepted into top MIM programmes (HEC, WBS, Imperial, LSE - the only ones i applied for). The whole point is that i had to decide on which to choose because i had offers for IR programmes as well which were alot cheaper. I spoke to LOADS AND LOADS of careers advisors (who know more than you) and grad recruiters at a million fairs.

Before i spoke to them and when i appled for MIM programmes i assumed that the degree would really boost my employability - it seems common sense that it would. But everyone, and i mean everyone said it doesn't A GREAT DEAL. Of course it does a little and makes you stand out, but what you dont seem to understand is that nowadays loads of people have internships all over the place and work experience, even for grad scheme roles. Everyone said that this is what recruiters care about, not your degree that you studied. They want soft skills that yoyu learn in the real world, not really in a class room. Even the WBS careers advisor said this was true and when i said i have an IR offer from LSE and a Management offer from there as well- she said that one would not be better than the other (and the IR is almost half the price) hence the reason i chose it.

Im not dissing LBS, i didnt even apply there becuase when i had an LSE offer for Management i didnt seem worth the effort. You sound much like me when i first applied for b-schools, i was defending the MIM everywhere (you can see in my past posts). However, through research i have finally found out that £22,000 is a bit of a con, and im glad i found out in time.

I am only passing on my experience. As is said, if you want to learn about business, then the course is great, but just for employability, then there are better options to pursue.

And i can spell employability, it was just a typo.
Reply 67
Im sorry I was harsh..was in a really foul mood when I typed that response.. I apologise..Well I guess we'll all just have to wait and see what happens when the first LBS MIM set graduates to know what exactly the perfect combo is for a top job these days...
Reply 68
nicko88
I think I certainly agree with you both that the course at LBS is more than just a name. Can I just ask how you went about choosing LBS over other courses at other unis? Thanks

I applied for two schools in the UK and two schools in France, namely LBS, LSE, HEC and ESCP-EAP. I believe these are the top schools for masters in management. HEC and ESCP have a very late decision making process, all interviews will be conducted in may, so I'll just say they were kind of a safety net for me. The reason I didn't want them so badly was that their masters are 2 years. It would be financially harder to attain but also I thought I'd get bored studying for another 2 years. One year intense course was more preferable.

In the UK, I was accepted onto LSE Management, Organisations and Governance (MOG) and LBS Masters in Management. At first I thought of applying to LSE's two year management programme but because of beforementioned reasons I changed my mind. When I got accepted on LSE MOG and LBS MIM I decided to go for the more practical programme. That means, in LSE I couldn't get courses like finance, statistics etc.(these were only possible at two-year programme). LSE MOG is great but it has a more theoretical and social science approach to business. Plus, I thought I would be lost among all those LSE finance/economy/accounting graduates when I start to look for jobs. I am not from the UK (and I didn't spend more than 3 weeks there, yet) but I reckon if an employer is going to hire a LSE graduate, he will recruit from more competitive courses like finance/economy.

For LBS this is totally different because MIM is the only pre-experience programme designed for graduate schemes. Plus, the school has a great reputation. So if an employer decides to recruit from LBS they will certainly recruit from our batch. Combined with LBS's existing strong ties with many companies, I believe LBS is not only very good for actually learning things that will help in my career but also will help me a great deal getting a good job in the UK. SO I choose LBS :smile:

But for some other people, LBS might not be helpful to a great extend. For example, if I was from the UK, native english speaker, first tier university graduate, I would probably look for jobs straight out of uni or I would study something cheaper like AfghanistanBananistan did. I choose LBS because it will be a truly transformational course for me individually and I couldn't find the same characteristic in other courses.

e-lover
Wow! This course looks amazing. How hard did you find the GMAT? What score do you think is the absolute minimum to get?

When I spoke to recent admits, I got the impression that 650+ is very common. There are also people with 740-760 scores though. However, I also remember seeing some people with 610 GMAT. I think if you are going to have a lower GMAT you will have to compensate it with a very high GPA and many extra curriculars, proven leadership experience etc.
Reply 69
Sorry I was harsh man...Was in a real foul mood when I replied...I sincerely apologise..Well I guess we'll just need to wait till the first LBS MIM set graduates till we know what exactly the perfect combo for employment in a top firm is these days...PEACE PAL
Reply 70
Hi

MIM is a good course if you can afford it. LBS will add great value to your CV but please understand that these courses have been added by the Bschools to make more money. The course is too expensive for what it has to offer. The best gain will be LBS on your CV rather than great learning experience. I h got thru JBS (Cam) for Mphil in Mgmt but unfortunately cannot afford. If I had the money, I would have gone for the course but in these turbulent times I am not in favor of taking huge loans
Reply 71
Okkk...cmin bak to hw d topic ws strtd..ta meet oder ppl doin Masters in Mangement at LBS.

Has anyone who applied fr d last round f admission heard nythn bak frm LBS abt d interview?? Deadline ws april 30th, and one guy hu posted earlier at dis forum sed he received an interview kol in 2 days!!

Nybdy gotten an interview kol yet!?!

Cheers
Reply 72
Hello House,
Just thot to let y'all know I received an OFFER 2day...Had my interview with an alumnus about 10days ago and the positive response came in 2day..Praise GOD!!!! Look 4ward to meetin u all in September....All the best pals!!!

Freemann
Reply 73
Freemann..congrats!!

Nw plz temme wen u applied, wen u gt d info dat u hv been shortlisted fr d interview...and hw mch time after dat ws ur interview...?!?!

Also, if u cud please share wid us wat all u wer askd in d interview..it'd b really helpful.

Please reply soon!

Cheers!
Reply 74
Hey Smarty Boy...I applied on the 30th of March, Interview invitation came on the 1st of April..I eventually had the interview on the 2nd of May and I got my offer on the 11th of May. My interviewer was an alumnus of the Sloan MSc for experienced professionals. We were able 2 arrange a convenient meeting at a hotel just a 5min drive from my house.

Basically the interview lasted a little over an hour with questions on virtually everything in my essays. In my opinion you are defending what u wrote down basically. It was a bit intense at times tho. For instance, In my essays, I gave an example of a project I was in charge of at work which I had described as innovative..My interviewer told me to tell him in detail exactly why I thought it was innovative. It was a bit tiring and intense but altogether it was ok..He dwelled a lot on TEAMWORK AND LEADERSHIP so uve got to be ready for that a lot. My advice is to know your essays like the back of your hand and be ready to go into detail in explaining what u wrote. It also helps if u can find out a little about ur interviewer in advance e.g from His company website or something if u hav that info; That helped me a lot cos I felt more prepared. It wasn't a completely blind date...All the best man!!! Good luck in everything...
Reply 75
Hey Freemann!

Thanks a TON fr ur reply!!....one mnth btween being intimated f d interview and d actual interview haan..tough..

But thanks a ton for sharing ur interview experience...m hoping I dint use d wrong word smwhere in my essays!! :s-smilie:

Thanks fr d wishes! you r da maann!!

Cheers!
Reply 76
hi everyone!
I have been accepted to LBS MIM and HEC Paris MSc in international business. Since I have a BSc in business administration I am not sure which course will I benefit the most from?
Please give me your opinions...Paris or London??
Reply 77
I'm surprised you've been accepted to LBS as I thought it was a degree for non-business graduates.

Anyways, I'd say go for HEC as it is both a proven bschool and the MIM is consitently ranked on the top. The MIM at LBS is new so there is bound to be a lack of organisation/problems. There's also the chance that the MIM at LBS will be over shadowed by the MBA programme and the course director in an interview even stated that they will use the MIM class to let less experinced tutors teach and train them before teaching MBA's. At HEC, however, it's thier flagship programme and so they will do everything to ensure thier students get the best. Also I think its a hell of a lot cheaper no?

Either way you cant loose. Well done!
Reply 78
Hey Mimi,
i'd go for HEC as well but not only because its no.1 in FT ranking at the moment (guess LBS' MIM will be at comparable level once it is ranked).
The main advantage at HEC is that you actually learn some new stuff and you are required to do an internship. If you look at the curriculum at LBS you can see that you will go over Finance, Strategy, etc. all over again in case-study lectures (how boring is that?). and at HEC you can do an exchange if I remember it the right way!
hope that helps!
Reply 79
nonsense. the hec masters in int. business (mib) is not their flagship programme. what you guys think of is the masters in management, also known as grande écoles programme (which lasts 2 years compared to the 1 year mib). believe me, i spent a semester abroad at hec. what programme you take in the end should not really matter in terms of career opportunities though..
the school is great anyway, especially in france hec has a reputation other schools in europe just dream of. they don't even have grades in their diploma, just the brand name hec opens the door for any interview (at least in france).
one neg. aspect is the cost of 22000 euro, but i guess lbs fees are about the same. and the school is NOT in paris. it's approx. 20-30 min car drive away in a small town called jouy-en-josas. nice campus though and the social life (8 days of partying per week) is just incredible. i don't know about lbs but in the regular hec mib programme no exchange is included. but if you take the cems route you spent one semester at hec and one at a cems partner school (lse, sse, esade etc.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending