The Student Room Group

history essay quick help

hi in 24 mark essays AS HISTORY AQA

to get those 22-24 marks L5 you need to ' form own argument from the start'

can anyone give me an idea of how to do this im achieveing high marks jsut not getting this concept. this question is to those who have passed history AS (and done well) . Bonus question is it ok to use 'I' as in 'i belive that this was more important than this'
Addressing your last point first, no. Never write in the first person for a History essay. It would probably even be better to refer to "the present writer" (although I don't particularly like that either). It would be best to say "due to the overwhelming evidence in its favour, it appears that this was more important than this". You could probably get away with saying "one might argue that this was more important than this".

To 'form your own argument from the start' basically you, well, form your own argument from the start. Make it clear from the outset what your argument is. For example if you were writing an essay on 'to what extent was Laudianism responsible for the English Civil War?' then right from the introduction you'd want to assert whether you think it is or whether you think it isn't. Which argument do you think is the strongest. Then moving onto the main body bring in supportive evidence (some people say start with a counterargument first, but I don't buy it tbh). Then draw this evidence together in a conclusion. It's all about making it sustained throughout. Cogent and concise.

:smile:
necessarily benevolent
Addressing your last point first, no. Never write in the first person for a History essay. It would probably even be better to refer to "the present writer" (although I don't particularly like that either). It would be best to say "due to the overwhelming evidence in its favour, it appears that this was more important than this". You could probably get away with saying "one might argue that this was more important than this".

To 'form your own argument from the start' basically you, well, form your own argument from the start. Make it clear from the outset what your argument is. For example if you were writing an essay on 'to what extent was Laudianism responsible for the English Civil War?' then right from the introduction you'd want to assert whether you think it is or whether you think it isn't. Which argument do you think is the strongest. Then moving onto the main body bring in supportive evidence (some people say start with a counterargument first, but I don't buy it tbh). Then draw this evidence together in a conclusion. It's all about making it sustained throughout. Cogent and concise.

:smile:

... What? Of course it's fine to write in first person in a History Essay, or at least in A level exam tested ones. History is all about interpretation so it only makes sense to use first person. Furthermore, the exam boards are testing your ability to think critically and come to your own conclusion. Using first person is entirely relevant , it's the best and most effective way to argue your point in an exam and, given that arguing is imperative to gaining a high grade, for the vast mjority first person, by default, is essential too.

Having said that though, where necessary, it is important to challange your belief to show it is conclusive eg. It is my belief that the Soviet Union is ultiamtely to blame for the Cold War due to its aggresive behaviour. However, although some would argue that this was propagated by the US's expansionist policies, I believe the US was here acting defensively in the face of a fierce and hostile regime.
Well it's always been my - and pretty much every academic since the dawn of time's - philosophy that all academic writing should be totally objective with no intervention from the writer at all. I know that IB promotes 'I', but then IB sucks in Arts and Humanities. Your criticism and own conclusions are presented better when (as ironic as it might seem) there's no element of you in it. It's much more profound to refer to commonly acknowledged - prominent - standpoints other than your own. Your own argument - as this thread is essentially addressing - is built up throughout your essay. If you ever need to use "I" then it's just showing your inability to handle conflicting information effectively. As harsh as that may sound I know what I'm talking about.
Reply 4
I was always taught to avoid 'I,' and like Neccessarily Benevolent says, if you have to, opt for 'one.'
Reply 5
Thanks so far everyone im beginning to understand this better.:smile:
necessarily benevolent
Well it's always been my - and pretty much every academic since the dawn of time's - philosophy that all academic writing should be totally objective with no intervention from the writer at all. I know that IB promotes 'I', but then IB sucks in Arts and Humanities. Your criticism and own conclusions are presented better when (as ironic as it might seem) there's no element of you in it. It's much more profound to refer to commonly acknowledged - prominent - standpoints other than your own. Your own argument - as this thread is essentially addressing - is built up throughout your essay. If you ever need to use "I" then it's just showing your inability to handle conflicting information effectively. As harsh as that may sound I know what I'm talking about.

Agreed,

Academic history should always be written in the 3rd person, unless you are writing popular history (:lolwut: ), theres no excuse to use the first person.
necessarily benevolent
Well it's always been my - and pretty much every academic since the dawn of time's - philosophy that all academic writing should be totally objective with no intervention from the writer at all.

History teaches us that profound development comes when people dare to be different. (This isn't really my point and tbh I'm actually not arguing against a wealth of historians, just the idea of using a conformist attitude to argue a point bugged me :biggrin:)

But to the point. A Level exam essays aren't intended to be an amazing piece of historical literature that does the subject entire justice (and if it is, then it fails). Alot of it is jumping through hoops. "do x% of evaluating and y% of arguing to get a high mark", "use this generic essay structure to get a level 3", "make sure you get in z number of historical terms to hit this mark". Although I'd agree that every piece of developed and respected academic writing doesn't (and arguably shouldn't) be written entirely objectively, this isn't what A Level History demands, and first person is an easy way to jump through alot of the hoops.

necessarily benevolent

If you ever need to use "I" then it's just showing your inability to handle conflicting information effectively.

I really really really hate using my acadmeic success as a counter in discussion but in this case it is evidence. Throughout my A-Level, as a result of my teacher's instruction, I've used first person, because it's been drummed into me to argue, argue, argue. I did this in my AS Level and managed to get 100% in one module and 98% in another. Rightly or wrongly, I'm led to believe using first person gets the marks, and if that means Edexcel is allowing my "inability to handle conflicting information effectively" to pass, oh well.

necessarily benevolent
As harsh as that may sound I know what I'm talking about.
Do you write that in your history essays too? :tongue:

Anyway, I suppose I'm digressing. OP, I really think using first person is fine for A Level history and tbh, I'd encourage it. I'm not saying it's the only way to get a decent grade, not at all, as I'm sure remaining entirely objective can do the same job, but if it's how you feel most comfortale writing, I wouldn't fear that it would bring down your mark.

And that's my 2 pence.
allieRAWR!
I really really really hate using my acadmeic success as a counter in discussion but in this case it is evidence. Throughout my A-Level, as a result of my teacher's instruction, I've used first person, because it's been drummed into me to argue, argue, argue. I did this in my AS Level and managed to get 100% in one module and 98% in another. Rightly or wrongly, I'm led to believe using first person gets the marks, and if that means Edexcel is allowing my "inability to handle conflicting information effectively" to pass, oh well.

If you go onto study History at Undergrad or Post Grad level then you would get shot for using the first person, god, one of my seminar tutors dressed my down for putting the place of publication and the date of publication the wrong way round in a reference. If youve ever read an academic history book then you will see they never ever use I.

Latest

Trending

Trending