The Student Room Group

How important is attendance in college?

Ive been missing quite a few lessons in my college because they are boring and i get nothing out of them and now my attendance is about 87%.
So i was just wondering is attendance that important in college because i hear that as long as you do your work they dont really care.
It varies, I think its important because I'm 99% sure I wouldn't have got into Warwick or Durham with my A levels if it wasn't for my awesome reference.
It really depends on the college and how you are performing academically. The most able student (that is, one achieving the highest marks consistently) would most likely encounter no problems with the college for having a less-than-satisfactory attendance, but then again, the teachers need to see proof that someone is of that standard and will not if they are never there. Another way of looking at it is that college entry is competitive, and they might take the view that a student who is actually going to go is a far better use of the place, regardless of the differences in ability.

You learn rather quickly that the reference is a very over-positive way of portraying your achievements in the Sixth Form. They might make a positive comment about attendance, but it is extremely unlikely that teachers will explicitly state or even imply that the case was the opposite.
In my experience there is a high correlation between attendance and passing the exam. of course that is only a correlation, not a cause and effect. Those who attend classes are probably more motivated and will do more work/ revision and of course are less likely to be finding it boring.

I tend to get bored with students who cant be bothered to turn up and in turn I cant be bothered to help them. They also hold me and the rest of my class back when they do eventually bother to turn up quite often.

If they aren't in class, quite often they are not with where we are at and whats going on.

You can say quite a damning lot in a reference without being explicitly negative.
Don't get into the habit of skipping lessons, it's a slippery slope.

Even if lessons feel "pointless"/"boring" go to them anyway.
Reply 5
im wondering about the same thing :/
last year my attendance was 90% for the whole year, but currently this year its messed big time! september to december 5th its 63% :/ ... im applying to uni, my grades are top notch, my reference is awesome according to my teacher, but she says the only let down is my current attendance of this year, 63%

just wanted to know, would this stop uni's from accepting my uni application? :/
Your attendance/punctuality can be mentioned in your reference generally and acording to my teacher when I was applying, there's also a bit where your attendance has to be entered onto UCAS.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending