The Student Room Group

Is it easy to make friends in university?

People say they meet they're best friends at university. Im quite a shy person, well im friendly when im talking one on one with someone, just im not very good talking in group situations. Do you think i will be okay making friends? im sort of worried everyone is going to be loud and bubbly and not want to talk to me. I do have the confidents to speak to people one on one, im fine in that situation just not in groups if i dont know the people. :confused: whats your experience with making friends in uni?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Nataliex182
People say they meet they're best friends at university. Im quite a shy person, well im friendly when im talking one on one with someone, just im not very good talking in group situations. Do you think i will be okay making friends? im sort of worried everyone is going to be loud and bubbly and not want to talk to me. I do have the confidents to speak to people one on one, im fine in that situation just not in groups if i dont know the people. :confused: whats your experience with making friends in uni?

It's VERY easy! Everyone is in the same boat, just get out there and get chatting! :smile:
Reply 2
If you don't have the confidence to speak in groups then you may struggle.

Like always when making friends you have to be prepared to make an effort and put yourself out there.
piece of piss
It's dependant on the people you're talking to. If you're stuck in a room full of people you don't like, it's not going to be easy, but the other way round, you'll be just fine

I've been stuck with a load of people I don't like but have got on well with the people I am friends with
I bloody hope so, because I'm exactly the same :smile:

There are going to be hundreds (if not thousands) of people in the same boat as you (and me!) ...dont worry about it :smile:
Reply 6
Nick_000
If you don't have the confidence to speak in groups then you may struggle.

Like always when making friends you have to be prepared to make an effort and put yourself out there.

its not that im not prepared to make the effort, its just i dont feel comfortable in group situation where everyone is confident and loud, i just feel its hard to get involved, but one on one im fine
No, no one makes friends at university. That's why it's called university because everyone's all alone.
Reply 8
apassingfeeling

There are going to be hundreds (if not thousands) of people in the same boat as you (and me!) ...dont worry about it :smile:

thanks you :smile: i feel so much better already, good luck with uni!
Nataliex182

When the solution is: get to know them. :smile: Talking in groups is more beneficial in striking up friendships, but it's just about "biting the bullet" and convincing yourself that some initial awkwardness is negligible in comparison to a good friendship. If you're good at one-to-one conversation, you shouldn't have difficulty sustaining them. (I'll take my advice someday.)
Reply 10
Met some of my mates in the first couple of days and then the rest came fairly soon into the first year.

It's true about the best mates coming from Uni, as Ive said before, they become like a large family (however corny that sounds). Everyone living together helps matters. Your best mates are off your course as you soon get sick of the sight of your flatmates.

Not everyones bubbly, but everyone is in the same boat, you've all left your hometowns for hopefully bigger and better things, you'll soon meet people, and contary to popular belief, you dont have to join a society to meet mates.
Reply 11
Nataliex182
its not that im not prepared to make the effort, its just i dont feel comfortable in group situation where everyone is confident and loud, i just feel its hard to get involved, but one on one im fine

In my welcome week, we had ice breakers which all consisted of talking in a group. You may have to overcome this fear.
Reply 12
apassingfeeling

:ottid: I'm the sammeeee aswell :smile:
Reply 13
Nataliex182

Don't worry, I'm like that and I found it easy.

There are lots of different 'groups' of people you can become friends with, e.g. people on your course, in halls (or flatmates), clubs and societies (probably the easiest way) etc.
jackwhiteisgod
piece of piss

Are you quoting johnny rotten? or are you simply stating that making friends is a piece of piss?...either way, I like its relevance:yep: :yep:
Nataliex182
thanks you :smile: i feel so much better already, good luck with uni!

You too! To be honest I'm really scared, I've never been good in social situations. But then I just think... there's got to be someone there that i'll strike up a connection with :smile:
And as you can see with some of the other responses, people feel exactly the same :biggrin:
Reply 16
Nick_000
In my welcome week, we had ice breakers which all consisted of talking in a group. You may have to overcome this fear.

:eek:
Reply 17
m:)ckel
Don't worry, I'm like that and I found it easy.

There are lots of different 'groups' of people you can become friends with, e.g. people on your course, in halls (or flatmates), clubs and societies (probably the easiest way) etc.

thank you im glad to know im not the only one :smile:
im quite looking forward to uni now!
thanks
x
Reply 18
I've not gone yet but everyone I spoke to seems to get on ok, and quite a few of them are quite shy.
electriic_ink
No, no one makes friends at university. That's why it's called university because everyone's all alone.

Haha, sooo true.

Latest

Trending

Trending