The Student Room Group

accounting for as/a level is it worth it? and accounting vs chemistry for as/a levels

hi, my brother is due to choose his as/a level options, he's not not sure about whether to do accounting or chemistry. im saying chemistry as i think it would be more useful, is there any point to an accounting as/a level, i have no idea. which would be more worth it, if possible. i also read on the guardian/times online that there are subjects considered soft/hard by universities. chemistry was considered hard, while accounting soft. and is is true that to go into accountancy you do not necessary need to have done accounting, ive heard they'd rather you do mathematics or something. all opinions welcome,
-thanks, bhavi.
Reply 1
Do chemistry n00b, it's actually a good qualification. Plus it doesn't suck like accounting does (who the hell would want to do accounting?)
Reply 2
deffo do chem as some unis won't accept accounting even for an accounting degree. Chem is supposed to be hard (I don't find it too bad) si i smuch better thought of!
Reply 3
i think you should do chemistry as you can broaden your choices for uni :biggrin:
Reply 4
bhavi
hi, my brother is due to choose his as/a level options, he's not not sure about whether to do accounting or chemistry. im saying chemistry as i think it would be more useful, is there any point to an accounting as/a level, i have no idea. which would be more worth it, if possible. i also read on the guardian/times online that there are subjects considered soft/hard by universities. chemistry was considered hard, while accounting soft. and is is true that to go into accountancy you do not necessary need to have done accounting, ive heard they'd rather you do mathematics or something. all opinions welcome,
-thanks, bhavi.

Accounting is both soft and Blacklisted:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=810355
Reply 5
Hi i did both Accounting and Chem. I did badly in both, continued with the Chemistry and dropped Accounting. I have no idea why because Chemistry is soo hard. Accounting is the one i could have done better in if i'd tried. You don't need Accounting as an A-level to do a degree in it. What does your bro want to go into? What other subjects is he considering? How are his sciences?
Reply 6
I do Accounting Alevel, if he does do it - make sure he checks which board its on because there is hardly any resources for the OCR Board (im on this) - AQA is better.
Accounting is tricky and takes up a lot of time and practise - it doesnt get the respect it should get but I guess thats life so he should do chem because its regarded highly. If he does do accounting I dont think his chances for uni offers will be ruined if he considers to apply to a redbrick uni or something similar.

Latest