The Student Room Group

Economics or History A level?

Hi,

I'm choosing my As levels now and am definitely doing ENGLISH LITERATURE, FRENCH and PHILOSOPHY/ETHICS. But i can't decide between HISTORY and ECONOMICS for my last choice...

Any ideas which subject combines better with my other choices.

Also, any feedback about Economics A level would be particurlarly helpful as I'm not 100% sure what it entails and how interesting it is.

Thanks so much for all replies!
Reply 1
i do both and prefer economics :smile:
Reply 2
pow!
i do both and prefer economics :smile:

Why?
What do you study?
Reply 3
I'm doing both and Economics seems easier in terms of how much effort you have to put in (it's more about memorizing AD/AS graphs and econ. terms with minimal essay-writing.) History is probably more interesting though depending on what you're interested in/what topics you are doing - but then there is a lot of essay writing and it takes a while to get the exam technique right.
I know History's got a massive workload! Though for Economics you need to be fairly competent with Maths.
Reply 5
History :smile:
It compliments your other subjects and is quite easy and interesting
Economics is good, obv. But with your other subjects it doesn't lead to much [like, if you wanted to do econ at uni it would be better to do maths]
Reply 6
ninety_nine
I know History's got a massive workload! Though for Economics you need to be fairly competent with Maths.

There's barely any maths at AS level.
QED
There's barely any maths at AS level.

I was talking about A-level, and used the term 'competent' - it probably requires as much Maths as Psychology.
Economics and history both good a levels but based on your as level choice it seems like you more of a writing/essay type/thinking person so history might suit you more.
Reply 9
123banana123
Why?
What do you study?

you study how markets work, how markets fail and the national economy in as level. its really interesting as you can relate to things happening in the headlines etc. its also completely exam marked, no coursework.

my like for history is quite varied. alot of my course is politics which is so boring, whereas the wars/economic policies are alot more interesting. theres also alot more homework set, and long essays to complete. there is also one unit of coursework to do. it really does depend what modules that your sixth form/college takes as to how interesting you find it.

i find im just alot more enthusiastic for economics and can write about it off of my head without notes. whereas history is abit of a drag, and can often bore me to death.
Reply 10
Difficult choice. Universities love them both, because they're academic subjects. Good luck.
Do both.
Or, if you really can't, then I personally prefer Economics. Maybe think about swapping English lit for History though? I hate it.

I take History, Maths, Economics, English lit & Philosophy.
(& Geography, Physics & Psychology at home).
I think given your subject choices History would be better. And, it is more respected, if that's what you care about.

Though, you also have to question whether you could cope with the workload and have the aptitude to get the grade you want in it. There seems to be the concerted opinion in this thread from those that do both, that Economics is easier. I'm not sure what would be better for whatever course you want to do at Uni, a higher grade in Economics or lower grade at History. Then again, this mioght be irrelevant, if you're good at them both.

Another factor to consider is also which you find more interesting. Doing subjects your don't like is hell at A-level and an unpleasant upwards battle. Your other subject choices would indicate you'd like History better but there's still a decent chance you could like economics.

I'd advise looking into the course content of both subjects and seeing which you're interested in more.
History would suit your other A Level choices but Economics is just so much more useful and interesting imo.

There is very little maths even at A Level.
that is a tough one. i did both, and they enjoyed them both immensely. however history is far more work and harder than economics. but economics is more contemporary, i loved going home and seeing a story on the news and understanding what people were going on about for once.
History is fun. For A-Level I did History, French, English lit and Philosophy and Ethics and I found it gave me a wide range of choices when applying to uni, and a solid academic grounding. That's provided you like reading a lot, and writing a lot of essays though!

Latest