The Student Room Group

Medicinal Chemistry with Pharmacology or Pharmacy

Hi,
Would like some opinions to help me make my descision for which Uni course to go for. I have applied for the following: Medicinal Chemistry with Pharmacology, Chemistry with a Year in Industry, Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology at Liverpool University and Pharmacy at John Moores. I have had three offers for Liverpool (no offer yet made for pharmacology) and i have been offered an interview for JMU. I always wanted to study Medicinal Chemistry with Pharmacology at Uni, and that's fundamentally what i have been working for. Recently i have been thinking a lot over things and now i'm not sure if whether i should go for a pharmacy degree instead. The main reason being that there is a great career as a pharmacist to follow this degree. I'm not sure what i could do with Medicinal chem & pharmacology apart from working in industry or doing something academic. My main passion is to study the science of drugs, interactions etc, and a pharmacy degree (in its contents) doesn't appeal to me however, as said earlier, the career following is very appealing. Could i progress from a Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacy degree to pharmacy without studying a further 4 years?

Thanks!!
yummymummy
Hello yummymummy,

I'm currently going Applied chemistry and Pharamceutical Sciences with Biochemistry at John Moores which is roughly similar to what you will be studying whichever path you go.

Job options are said to be much wider with the medicinal chemistry degree as you can do sales, quality control, industry etc. That's the perk of doing that degree - variety. Pharmacy however does give job security, yet the potential is somewhat less than a medicinal chemistry degree. So that's something to think about

As far as I know, if you wish to take on Pharmacy after getting your medicinal chemistry degree, (At JMU, anyway) as far as I remember, you skip the first year and then study for three years to obtain the MPharm degree. I've told myself if I want to go and do pharmacy later, I'll just do that because the extra couple years of experience will really really help with the learning process.

In short, I think you will have to study a number of years before obtaining a pharmacy degree. However, the best thing to do is to ring up and ask the people who know

Best of luck,

-I.
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply, my heart is in medicinal chem, but as you said, there is always job security with Pharmacy... i think i may just follow my interest but i still have a month or so to make a descision anyway.

yummymummy
yummymummy
Thanks for your reply, my heart is in medicinal chem, but as you said, there is always job security with Pharmacy... i think i may just follow my interest but i still have a month or so to make a descision anyway.

yummymummy

Then no matter what, stick with medicinal chem. Since your passion is there, you'll do well and graduate with a 2:1 or a first, I bet. That pretty much sorts you out, I'd say

And as previously mentioned, you can always go back and do Pharmacy if that's what you really want to do. Means you'll have loads of flexibility when it comes to looking for jobs
yummymummy
Hi,
Would like some opinions to help me make my descision for which Uni course to go for. I have applied for the following: Medicinal Chemistry with Pharmacology, Chemistry with a Year in Industry, Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology at Liverpool University and Pharmacy at John Moores. I have had three offers for Liverpool (no offer yet made for pharmacology) and i have been offered an interview for JMU. I always wanted to study Medicinal Chemistry with Pharmacology at Uni, and that's fundamentally what i have been working for. Recently i have been thinking a lot over things and now i'm not sure if whether i should go for a pharmacy degree instead. The main reason being that there is a great career as a pharmacist to follow this degree. I'm not sure what i could do with Medicinal chem & pharmacology apart from working in industry or doing something academic. My main passion is to study the science of drugs, interactions etc, and a pharmacy degree (in its contents) doesn't appeal to me however, as said earlier, the career following is very appealing. Could i progress from a Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacy degree to pharmacy without studying a further 4 years?

Thanks!!
yummymummy

Hi, im in the same position as you were last year.
ive applied for medicinal chem and pharmacy

im just wondering, what did you choose?
and how are you finding it?
do you regret the decsision at all?

thanks
Hannahx

Latest

Trending

Trending