The Student Room Group

What is the purpose of the Human?

Now I do likes being a human, however I am just wandering what the purpose of us humans is. What I mean is every animal on earth has a purpose and is good for the enviroment, whether that be supplying food for other animals or pollenating fruits and vegetation. Without the Bee alot of natural food would not exist (Strawberries, broccoli etc...) and David Attenborough said that if all the insects on the planet failed to exist then the world would be in a terrible state, but take away the human and if anything the world would be better for it.

...Nature is an amazing thing and natural selection makes sure that only the fittest animals survie and pass on their succesful DNA. However humans have developed medicanes so alot more people who would normally die are surviving (which is a great thing) but hasn't nature made a ''mistake'' in making humans so intelligent thus ruining the balance of the planets enviroment. What I want to know is, are humans a hinderance on earth and why did we evolve to be so intellectual when that is the single thing that seperates us from the animal kingdom. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
CinderellaDontGo
Now I do likes being a human, however I am just wandering what the purpose of us humans is. What I mean is every animal on earth has a purpose and is good for the enviroment, whether that be supplying food for other animals or pollenating fruits and vegetation. Without the Bee alot of natural food would not exist (Strawberries, broccoli etc...) and David Attenborough said that if all the insects on the planet failed to exist then the world would be in a terrible state, but take away the human and if anything the world would be better for it.

...Nature is an amazing thing and natural selection makes sure that only the fittest animals survie and pass on their succesful DNA. However humans have developed medicanes so alot more people who would normally die are surviving (which is a great thing) but hasn't nature made a ''mistake'' in making humans so intelligent thus ruining the balance of the planets enviroment. What I want to know is, are humans a hinderance on earth and why did we evolve to be so intellectual when that is the single thing that seperates us from the animal kingdom. Thanks :smile:

Good question, however, modern biology says the bold is not true!

Animals do not have to perform a useful function - they simply have to survive so they can propogate the next generation. many parasites do so at the expense of other organisms so they are not really performing a function, apart from maybe population control of the host organism.

"Nature" in itself is not sentient so it cannont make mistakes or "decide" anything. Arguably, humans are simply the best adapted organism on the planet and are the best at exploiting resources and do so ruthlessly.

Humans are a burden on the natural environment as they manipulate it, diverting it away from its "natural course" and "balance" so yes, humans can be seen as a hinderance.
Darwinism aside, nature is not teleological. In other words, nature sets no goals. Darwinism merely ever adapts species to be better suited to their respective environments. There is no man with a blueprint and an end goal. Those kind of ideas are inherently human ones, not natural.
Reply 3
the purpose of us is to love and care for eachother.

either that or poop
Reply 4
Yes we are a hinderance and yes nature made a massive mistake. Congratulations on learning the truth, now what are you going to do about it? O.o

Spoiler

Reply 5
happiness
happiness
the greatest thing that i do possess uh
Oladz
Good question, however, modern biology says the bold is not true!

Animals do not have to perform a useful function - they simply have to survive so they can propogate the next generation. many parasites do so at the expense of other organisms so they are not really performing a function, apart from maybe population control of the host organism.

"Nature" in itself is not sentient so it cannont make mistakes or "decide" anything. Arguably, humans are simply the best adapted organism on the planet and are the best at exploiting resources and do so ruthlessly.

Humans are a burden on the natural environment as they manipulate it, diverting it away from its "natural course" and "balance" so yes, humans can be seen as a hinderance.

Ok thanks for the response but I think you are wrong regarding the parasite. There is a parasite that gets inside a fish and releases a chemical in the fishes brain which makes it fearless of the shadow of a bird, thus causing the fish to become caught and eaten by the bird. And why? Because the parasite needs to get into a warm blooded animal. Know although the parasite has effectivly killed a fish it has provided food for another creature, that is a contribution, a small one but one none the less.
Reply 7
CinderellaDontGo

hhhhhh
Reply 8
CinderellaDontGo

all good stories have a good ending, somehow were supposed to end everything creatlively (not cloverfield style). at least, thats all we seems to be good at.
Reply 9
There is no purpose other than that which the individual gives to him or herself.
Reply 10
"Purpose" is a completely arbitrary concept, so this is a rather futile discussion.
Reply 11
human dont have any purposes.but individuals have - that's where the point is:every diferent person can decide to have some kind of aim or not:so u must creat purposes for yourself.
P.S i am so proud of my answer:smile:
the purpose of humans its to grow in love of God and neighbour through God given intelect and freewill.

survival of the fitttest is a stupid method - what happened to the dinosaurs , they got exstict through a meteor while other smaller "unfitter" animals survived i.e. cockroaches.
He delivers my mail.
Reply 14
Steverockin
the purpose of humans its to grow in love of God and neighbour through God given intelect and freewill.

survival of the fitttest is a stupid method - what happened to the dinosaurs , they got exstict through a meteor while other smaller "unfitter" animals survived i.e. cockroaches.

It may be stupid, but thats what happens - Adapt to your circumstances or pay the price!
Reply 15
The only function of any living organism on earth is to reproduce.

It's really quite depressing when you look at it that way, which is why I generally avoid thinking so.

Man invented God because he is superstitious and insecure.
Planto
"Purpose" is a completely arbitrary concept, so this is a rather futile discussion.

Purpose is not arbitrary, without purpose the world would not exist as it would not be a stable enviroment and wouldn't work. For example the purpose of the salmon is to swim u stream and spawn eggs where it was born, that is it's purpose. Without that purpose then bears would starve to death (along with other animals) and the fishes body (when it dies) would nor provide nutrients to the soil helping trees grow as supplying nesting areas from birds and oxygen to the earth. Purpose is vital surely?
Reply 17
CinderellaDontGo
Purpose is not arbitrary, without purpose the world would not exist as it would not be a stable enviroment and wouldn't work. For example the purpose of the salmon is to swim u stream and spawn eggs where it was born, that is it's purpose. Without that purpose then bears would starve to death (along with other animals) and the fishes body (when it dies) would nor provide nutrients to the soil helping trees grow as supplying nesting areas from birds and oxygen to the earth. Purpose is vital surely?

Because bears survive by eating salmon, that does not mean salmon's purpose is to be eaten by bears. It just means that is what happens. Purpose is an abstract, human construct. It is arbitrary.

That which is not explicitly defined by a human to have a purpose is, therefore, inherently purposeless. And we do not define what we do not create.
Steverockin

that's ridicolous, why are cockroaches less fit than dinosaurs? Is that because they are bigger? If anything the cockroach is fitter than dinosaurs because they survived which is the while point of a living organism. Cockroaches are fitter than humans in terms of survival.
CinderellaDontGo
that's ridicolous, why are cockroaches less fit than dinosaurs? Is that because they are bigger? If anything the cockroach is fitter than dinosaurs because they survived which is the while point of a living organism. Cockroaches are fitter than humans in terms of survival.

hence the reason survival of the fittest as a crap method

Latest

Trending

Trending