The Student Room Group

Clothing alteration in Oxford

I have a really nice velvet jacket that was given to me as a present but is rather big for me. Can anyone recommend somewhere to have it altered in Oxford. It probably needs to have quite a lot taken out of the back.

I had considered Simply Sewing on High Street, but have heard bad things from a friend who used them a couple of years ago. Does anyone have personal experience of them?

Otherwise, could you recommend somewhere else?

Thanks.
I've been to Simply Sewing and paid 50 pounds for a very simple pant hem*. That's a $100 USD. 25 pounds for the hem and another 25 for two day rush. They could've thrown it in a sewing machine for all of 2 minutes and been done. Besides that, they hemmed it just a bit too short to make it look awkward. They don't have my recommendation (although they WERE friendly...)

*edit: that's "trouser" hem...I didn't hem my underpants.
I've never used them myself, but I do know someone who has and who said that she would never do so again because they didn't do a very good job and were overpriced (as wetmywhistle has described... I don't know how much my friend's alterations cost, but £50 is daylight robbery for a trouser hem, my mum is v.good at that sort of thing and it takes a maximum of about twenty minutes to fit/pin it up and then sew it.)
indigovioletred
I've never used them myself, but I do know someone who has and who said that she would never do so again because they didn't do a very good job and were overpriced (as wetmywhistle has described... I don't know how much my friend's alterations cost, but £50 is daylight robbery for a trouser hem, my mum is v.good at that sort of thing and it takes a maximum of about twenty minutes to fit/pin it up and then sew it.)

Yea...I meant trousers. lol I don't hem my panties! :rolleyes: lol
Reply 4
Old thread I know, but does anyone have any other recommendations for clothing alterations in Oxford? Simply Sewing are fine but completely overpriced.
I use simply sewing, but the place on new inn hall street at the gloucester road end might be worth trying. iunno.
Reply 6
CarneLevare
I use simply sewing, but the place on new inn hall street at the gloucester road end might be worth trying. iunno.

Thanks, I'll give it a look! :smile:
Reply 7
The best clothes alteration in oxford
oaks, 11 st ebbes street, oxford ox11pt
we have excellent service and reasonable prices
telephone: 01865790012 mobile: 07931032577
opening hours monday to saturday 9am to 6pm sunday 11am to 5pm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending